WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a rubber strap for my PO that looks nice and will work well with the watch. It could have a deployant clasp or not but I am not really looking to spend $400 on a rubber strap.
Suggestions

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I am looking for a rubber strap for my PO that looks nice and will work well with the watch. It could have a deployant clasp or not but I am not really looking to spend $400 on a rubber strap.
Suggestions
the OEM rubber doesn't cost $400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
That price is probably mostly made up of the folding clasp. You can get an OEM rubber strap that takes a tang buckle for a lot less.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Suggestions
A nice alternative I found is the Hirsch Robby strap. You can get them under $100 and they are very comfortable and come in many different colors.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Agreed with above. Something from the Hirsch performance series, or one of their standard rubber straps, is a good place to start.

·
Registered
934 Posts
And for even less money, there is the borealis rubber, that is very close to isofrane both in look and quality ;)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ragna and iam7head

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I feel like I shouldn't mention that, having owned both (and maybe a dozen total rubber straps,) the Isofrane feels quite a bit more chunky and heavy compared to the Hirsch performance straps (like the Robby shown above.) The Hirsch straps feel very lightweight and cool. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Has anyone tried out Bonetto Cinturini? I am thinking about buying one of their rubber nato straps for my PO.
They're definitely the best bang for the buck, and the rubber is surprisingly nice for the price. Again, though, from someone who has owned Isofrane, Bonnetto, RubberB, Everest, Tropic, Squale, Seiko and (several) Hirsch full-rubber straps, the Hirsch rubber-hybrid Performance straps are really where it's at. They don't really look like rubber, and they're the most comfortable. They're durable, too. I wear one in the shower every day.

Here's the Hirsch James performance series on my AT, with a view of the back, to show how breathable it is:

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
That looks really nice. Does the back of the strap ever bug you with the ridges? Or do you not really notice them at all?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
That looks really nice. Does the back of the strap ever bug you with the ridges? Or do you not really notice them at all?
You don't feel it at all. If anything, it just makes other straps seem really sticky and sweaty.

My only caution with these straps is that you don't want to purposefully "break them in" by bending the strap back and forth a lot when new (at least on the James leather model.) I did that on one of them, and it made more noticeable creases in the leather on the side opposite the ridges. You still see that a bit with a natural break-in, but it's not a big deal to me. Leather conditioner would probably help it, and they are warrantied, but I've never used the warranty.

I put an Omega buckle on mine, and I find it to be the perfect trade off, when it comes to straps.

·
Registered
117 Posts
That makes sense, the ridges probably help with air flow. Definitely will not bend the strap back a lot ha. Thank you so much for the advice, I am already on the easy hunt for finding one. Great idea on the Omega buckle!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
That makes sense, the ridges probably help with air flow. Definitely will not bend the strap back a lot ha. Thank you so much for the advice, I am already on the easy hunt for finding one. Great idea on the Omega buckle!
Sure thing. Hope you like it and I didn't lead you down the wrong path! One thing to consider is that many of the models have a different color underneath/rubber part, so make sure you know what you're getting! I nearly ordered one that was blue underneath without realizing it.

Just found a pic of a Speedy on a brown James, and it looks really nice:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
FWIW, the Hirsch Pure is also great, if you want something simple. It doesn't have the nice cut-outs underneath, but I still wear it quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Having owned all of the above straps mentioned the one I found most comfortable was the Isofrane. The rubber itself is as soft/cushy as the latest generation of Omega full rubber straps and the cutouts provide plenty of airflow.

I could never get comfortable with the three Hirsch performance series straps I had. The ridged rubber inner never broke in and softened, and it never conformed correctly to my wrist shape. Obviously this leaves me in the minority, but just something to keep in mind in case of odd wrist shapes.

The pure rubber Bonetto Cinturinis are great and comfy, just not very breathable.

Omega rubber straps are incredibly comfy and of course work with the superior clasp, as well as provide the flush fit to the case that works especially well with sportier watches, but isn't as breathable even with the inner waved ridges. Haven't had a chance to long-term test the newer Omega rubber straps which resemble the Hirsch Performance.

The tropic-style rubber straps that come with either the Oris Diver's 65 of the Bell & Ross classic series are really nice as well, but not as widely available.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts