WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest a black, rubber dive strap that doesn't attrack lint, small pieces of dirt etc?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
12,752 Posts
Here's a little explanation I wrote a while ago about the differences in "rubber" straps. It will help you search and shop for the strap you're looking for.

-- Silicone. Silicone is the cheapest of materials to make "rubber" watch straps. The biggest problem with silicone is that it is sort of gummy. It's commonly referred to around here as a "lint-magnet". It attracts dust, hair, lint, and anything else that isn't bolted down. And the strap looks dirty and sloppy. And due to it being gummy, the keepers don't slide smoothly on it. These are generally in the $10-20 range.

-- Polyurethane. It is not gummy or a lint-magnet. It is kind of stiff. It is what Seiko makes their dive straps out of. I also believe that Casio G-Shock resin straps are a form of PU.

-- Natural rubber. This is the cat's meow. It has a vanilla-scent to it when new. It is not a lint-magnet. It's not as supple as silicone, but not as stiff or hard as polyurethane -- I'd call it firm, especially with thicker natural rubber straps. It is labeled as "caoutchouc". These are generally in $30 and up range.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts