WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see much conversation about watchbands here and I thought I would ask a question.

The last two watches I purchased both have rubber watchbands. I haven't experienced this is the past with any other watch I have worn and it seems to me that a rubber watchband is extremely comfortable. I like the flexibility of feel but I was wondering how well they wear.

Do they have any tendency to tear or dry out? Will I run into any other problems with rubber that I don't get with leather or SS? Is there any special care I need to exercise to take care of them so they last?

I switch watches quite frequently, wearing a different one everyday. I always put my watches back in the box for protection and clean them whenever it seems they need it.

Am I missing anything with the rubber watchbands? :think:

By the way, the Akribos I purchased looks way better on my wrist than it does in the picture. Really. For an inexpensive watch it sure looks nice.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
For years I wore a quartz dive watch on a rubber strap, and it seemed like I was replacing the battery and strap every year or so. Granted, I suspect these were the cheapest rubber straps available - whatever I could find in the correct size at a mall.

Since I've now started collecting better quality watches, the straps that come with the watches or that I buy seem to be much better quality as well. A few of my Glycines have come with rubber straps and they've held up very well. I clean the straps under running water every now and then and they look practically new. They're comfortable and they're usually longer than the supplied leather straps, a plus for someone in the big wrist club ;-)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thr pros od rubber bands
1-they don't scratch
2-They look masculine
cons
1-REPLACED OFTEN
2-Many watch companies discontinue bands when they discontinue the watch...as early as 3 years after intro on the market.
3-Some watches are designed for an exact band and cant be worn when company discontinues style.
4-must be ordered from manufacture and are expensive and take up to 6 weeks to get one from manufacture.
5-drys out or discolors when comes in contact with salt water or clorine
6-Body acids dry out rubber after a while.
7-makes wrists sweat in the summer heat.
8-cant be worn with dress clothes

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Nice list above. I just started wearing a rubber strap on my aquagraph, and I would add the following pro: feels MUCH lighter then the steel, and super comfy.

Oh, yah, here's a pic (with a bit of dirt, for authenticity):

·
Affordables Moderator
17,577 Posts
I prefer rubber/silicone watch straps over just about anything else. Second favorite is nylon NATO/Zulu, then bracelets, and last leather. The only thing I don't like about rubber is that it does tend to make my wrist sweat in the summer. Other than that I'll pick them every time.

I know what jewelerman means about some manufacturer replacements though, Citizen auto divers have a non standard size, and G-Shocks need the exact replacement unless you get special adapters. You can always get a lug size a bit bigger and notch the ends for the non standard sizes. I have one Timex that is a real strange strap, when it breaks I doubt I'll get a replacement:

It is one of the most comfortable straps I have though...:-(

Cheers,
Griff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts