WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Sourcing parts for modding/projects?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Second poster here and noob watch enthusiast here. I inquired on f10 about doing a Vostok mod. Then it dawned to me, is there such a thing as modding it to the point that its bastardized?

If I am modding my Vostok to become a Vostok/Russian Milsub tribute or homage (inspired by the Special Forces Milsub 5513/5517), would it be in poor taste to source parts from anywhere other than the Vostok factory? I am truly trying to make a watch that is unique to me not just in looks but in utility as well. I want it to be an heirloom level and keep it for life.

Second point, as a noob, the most watch mod I have ever done is replace bracelets; that being said, should I even attempt to do this if I cant do it myself and would pay someone to do it? (as I said on my other thread, I have the gentle caress of a grizzly bear) the car community for example is big on "built, not bought"

Thanks in advanced for your $0.02

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Hi Olekseis,

Perhaps you misunderstood the guys in the F10 forum.
Basically what they said is that if the movement is replaced with that of another manufacturer, then the watch cannot be considered a Vostok.

But, all other parts that are produced by after-market suppliers are OK.
You don't need Vostok factory bezels, bezel inserts, hands, casebacks, or re-lumed dials and hands. Any part made to fit a Vostok is OK.

There are a few excellent modders in the Vostok mods thread who live in Germany and I'm sure at least one of them will do the bezel and hand changes for you. Send them all PM or post a thread asking for someone to do the work.

It seems that you are not interested in collecting and modding multiple watches, so I wouldn't bother buying the tools needed to change the hands. You can do a bezel and insert change yourself but hands may be best left to a fellow modder.

Matt

·
Registered
112 Posts
What I view about modding is that there is a very large range of possibilities from changing a single element of a original watch up to building a totally new watch from various parts. Modding is more of a desire to have a certain look and we all know replacing a element will make it not original. What you end up with is a custom watch fitting your taste.

However, I do agree with the above that the movement itself is the heart of the watch and replacing with another brand will make the watch become that brand.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Olekseis,

Perhaps you misunderstood the guys in the F10 forum.
Basically what they said is that if the movement is replaced with that of another manufacturer, then the watch cannot be considered a Vostok.

But, all other parts that are produced by after-market suppliers are OK.
You don't need Vostok factory bezels, bezel inserts, hands, casebacks, or re-lumed dials and hands. Any part made to fit a Vostok is OK.

There are a few excellent modders in the Vostok mods thread who live in Germany and I'm sure at least one of them will do the bezel and hand changes for you. Send them all PM or post a thread asking for someone to do the work.

It seems that you are not interested in collecting and modding multiple watches, so I wouldn't bother buying the tools needed to change the hands. You can do a bezel and insert change yourself but hands may be best left to a fellow modder.

Matt
Ahhh ok so its the movement that will make the watch different/that brand.

My question is more of a philosophical one, if I replaced everything in an omega except the movement, is it still an omega?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Olekseis,

I also believe "Your watch, your rules."

I simply thought that perhaps you misunderstood the guys in the F10 forum.

I studied the possibility of placing a different movement into a Vostok such as an expensive quartz - so I am the same as you: I could not care less what others do with their watch.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Ahhh ok so its the movement that will make the watch different/that brand.

My question is more of a philosophical one, if I replaced everything in an omega except the movement, is it still an omega?
I believe the Swatch Group answer would be "NO"...
And the Rolex answer: "any change makes the watch a counterfeit" (but they seem very quick to take offense and seem to have control issues).
In the case of Vostok, I imagine you would have to corrupt one rather thoroughly to raise an eyebrow.

Philosophically, when the watch is no longer original (as it left the factory); or incorporates original replacement parts installed by an authorized service center; or incorporates changes made by or in agreement with the manufacturer, then the watch should probably not be represented by labeling, etc as a specific brand and model. (Unsupported personal opinion).

Using your example of Omega, you might offer it as a "One-Off Olek Special" or the like incorporating an Omega movement (so long as you don't imply that it was under agreement with Omega...[unless you have actually obtained permission]), and maintain a clear conscience as to maintaining philosophical integrity.

Of course these musings are best left to philosophers and jurists. As a watchmaker, my primary goal is to make the little machine give its best effort in performing the duty for which it was designed.

Regards, BG

(Disclaimer: the reader is responsible for his/her interpretation of the content of this post, as well as the management of any emotions it may invoke).

What is our world coming to? :unsure:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Olekseis,

I also believe "Your watch, your rules."

I simply thought that perhaps you misunderstood the guys in the F10 forum.

I studied the possibility of placing a different movement into a Vostok such as an expensive quartz - so I am the same as you: I could not care less what others do with their watch.
From my other thread I am guessing it will mess up the Vostok's unique waterproof method. I wouldnt be opposed to a more accurate watch, since now I am leaning towards "my watch, my rules"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe the Swatch Group answer would be "NO"...
And the Rolex answer: "any change makes the watch a counterfeit" (but they seem very quick to take offense and seem to have control issues).
In the case of Vostok, I imagine you would have to corrupt one rather thoroughly to raise an eyebrow.

Philosophically, when the watch is no longer original (as it left the factory); or incorporates original replacement parts installed by an authorized service center; or incorporates changes made by or in agreement with the manufacturer, then the watch should probably not be represented by labeling, etc as a specific brand and model. (Unsupported personal opinion).

Using your example of Omega, you might offer it as a "One-Off Olek Special" or the like incorporating an Omega movement (so long as you don't imply that it was under agreement with Omega...[unless you have actually obtained permission]), and maintain a clear conscience as to maintaining philosophical integrity.

Of course these musings are best left to philosophers and jurists. As a watchmaker, my primary goal is to make the little machine give its best effort in performing the duty for which it was designed.

Regards, BG

(Disclaimer: the reader is responsible for his/her interpretation of the content of this post, as well as the management of any emotions it may invoke).

What is our world coming to? :unsure:
So, as a watchmaker, if you were to build the ultimate watch. And money is not an issue, would you keep sourcing from the watch's factory? :unsure:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
From my other thread I am guessing it will mess up the Vostok's unique waterproof method. I wouldnt be opposed to a more accurate watch, since now I am leaning towards "my watch, my rules"
Personally, I'd like to see someone try these things. They're cheap enough to experiment with. I've ruined a few trying different mods, but that's life. If I had an extra mineral / sapphire crystal handy, I'd try gluing it into the original crystal seat and see how it goes. I think the water resistance will be good enough for average everyday useage.

And yes, your Vostok does look great with a leather jacket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts