WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two-year-old Rolex datejust was sent off to the service center by the ad from which it was purchased because I felt a little something funny in the winding. Six and a half weeks later it came back, with some marks on the case, mind you, that weren't there when I got it that I was able to Cape Cod out, and it is now running seven or eight seconds fast a day when it was only about + 1 or + 2 when I sent it in. I'ls this something I should be concerned about? Is it something that might settle in after I wear it for a few weeks?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
790 Posts
Your watch has the red or green tag? That’s some funny business. That’s not even COSC. I would give it a few days and make them do it again correctly if it’s consistently doing that, especially if still under warranty. What was so bad with the winding?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Shouldn’t be running that fast (or slow) after a service. Definitely need to let them know and have them fix. If your watch is only 2 yrs old, COSC is +2/-2 seconds/day I believe.

Reactions: 41Mets

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
If your watch is only 2 yrs old, COSC is +2/-2 seconds/day I believe.
COSC is still +6/-4, and doesn't have anything to do with Rolex's recent in-house standard. Yeah, Rolex now guarantees new watches to +/-2, and frankly yours should be running similarly well after the service. If you send it back to them, they'll fix it, but it'll take a few weeks. You'll need to decide if you care enough. That level of drift would bug me enormously if I wore the same watch every day, but since I rarely wear a watch for more than a week I personally wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your watch has the red or green tag? That’s some funny business. That’s not even COSC. I would give it a few days and make them do it again correctly if it’s consistently doing that, especially if still under warranty. What was so bad with the winding?
Felt crunchy. On and off. They apparently did a fill disassembly and service.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
COSC is still +6/-4, and doesn't have anything to do with Rolex's recent in-house standard. Yeah, Rolex now guarantees new watches to +/-2, and frankly yours should be running similarly well after the service. If you send it back to them, they'll fix it, but it'll take a few weeks. You'll need to decide if you care enough. That level of drift would bug me enormously if I wore the same watch every day, but since I rarely wear a watch for more than a week I personally wouldn't bother.
Yeah I don't know if I want to be without it again. Maybe I'll see if there's a change in either direction the next few weeks.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tag? The warranty card? Green...

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Tag? The warranty card? Green...
He doesn't mean the card, he means the little round plastic medallion thingy. They switched from red to green when the warranty went from two years to five, although any watch sold in the year before the increase also got an extra year.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
COSC is still +6/-4, and doesn't have anything to do with Rolex's recent in-house standard.
AH yes, thank you for the clarification/education.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Is there a place that you trust near you that you can have it re-adjusted? I would go there and even offer to pay for an adjustment.
Six and a half more weeks waiting would really bother ME.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there a place that you trust near you that you can have it re-adjusted? I would go there and even offer to pay for an adjustment.
Six and a half more weeks waiting would really bother ME.
It's under warranty so no. But I'm right outside of NY and if I complain enough to Rolex maybe they'll do a quick adjustment?

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
It's under warranty so no. But I'm right outside of NY and if I complain enough to Rolex maybe they'll do a quick adjustment?
Rolex generally doesn't do "quick" regulations -- they typically keep the watch to time it for awhile. When I had mine done at the San Francisco RSC (R.I.P.), they had it for two weeks. But unless the NY center is very backed up, you should get it back much sooner than you did for the full service.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rolex generally doesn't do "quick" regulations -- they typically keep the watch to time it for awhile. When I had mine done at the San Francisco RSC (R.I.P.), they had it for two weeks. But unless the NY center is very backed up, you should get it back much sooner than you did for the full service.
I did contact the service center and they said they typically recommend giving a watch 30 days after a service to see how it response to my wearing habits. So, I'll do that and see how it's running in a month!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Why "RIP"? Is it gone? The one above the old Shreve?

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Why "RIP"? Is it gone? The one above the old Shreve?
They're still there, but no longer an official Rolex RSC. A shame -- they had a great reputation as one of the better service centers. And personally, I'd be much more inclined to buy another Rolex if I had a local center for any warranty work.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
They're still there, but no longer an official Rolex RSC. A shame -- they had a great reputation as one of the better service centers. And personally, I'd be much more inclined to buy another Rolex if I had a local center for any warranty work.
Ahh, thanks for the info. I know they were a bit flexible with parts (ie. I got all my 16710 inserts there...and kept the originals) so hopefully it wasn't due to that...

OP, sorry to digress!

Reactions: 41Mets
1 - 18 of 18 Posts