WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

A couple of days ago I bought a grand carrera calibre 17 which is such a lovely watch but it's running 31 seconds fast a day. The watch was bought from a dealer and is still within the original Tag Heuer warranty period.

Do you think that a COSC watch that's running 30 seconds fast a day will be covered and fixed under warranty. Sorry if this is a silly question, but I've heard some negative comments regarding Tag customer service and so wondered if anyone had experience of this please?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Chris

·
Registered
261 Posts
Give the watch a little time to settle in. Give it a month or so. If it's still out of COSC spec (-4/+6 seconds average daily rate), then take it back to the AD and explain the situation to them. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Give the watch a little time to settle in. Give it a month or so. If it's still out of COSC spec (-4/+6 seconds average daily rate), then take it back to the AD and explain the situation to them. Good luck.
I don't understand this reasoning. I've heard this type of response in the past, "let your watch settle in". This watch is suppose to be COSC certified, meaning it's been tested and regulated with -4/+6 seconds per day within 5 positions. If it's already been tested and certified, why would it need time to "settle in"?

If the watch was purchased new from an AD, it should be running within COSC specs out of the box. I would not accept a COSC watch that is running +31 s/d in this price range. You paid a premium for COSC so it should perform as such.

·
Registered
705 Posts
it might just need a checkup. sometimes in shipping or handling after its certified and before its purchased it could bumped around. from time to time the hair spring can be bounced and snag which shortens it causing the watch to beat faster. a watch maker can unsnag and fix this no problem if thats the reason for the time gain.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Sorry but it looks like it needs to be adjusted. If it's a consistent 30ish seconds a day then it should be an easy regulation. If it's sporadic then you have a bigger problem.

And please don't wait for it to "settle in" because it won't. It's a COSC certified movement and unless it's been dropped or thrown against a wall, it should be within -4/+6 seconds per day out of the box. And if by chance it did somehow correct itself, I would be equally as worried because a watch shouldn't adjust itself 30 seconds a day out of nowhere. Good luck and hope everything works out!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently bought a secondhand Carrera WV215A which ran about +35s a day. I ended up buying a cheap demagnetiser off ebay and used that to demagnetise the watch. It now runs within +/- 1sec per day and is my most accurate mechanical watch. I was well pleased with the results. Hopefully your's may have a similar problem which can easily be fixed.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
get the watch regulated by a watchmaker... I know people are against this because it will void the warranty, but that what I did before.

I purchased Monaco Chronograph a few years back and out of the box it was running 20-30sec. faster a day, so I regulated it and it's been running at +/- 1 or 2 second a day ever since - better than COSC.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks very much for all the advice guys, definitely a lot to think about. I'll take it to the second hand dealer I bought it from and ask for it to be checked/regulated.

Interesting about the demagnitiser too, I'll look on ebay for one now.

It's such a beautiful watch that I can't wait to wear it when it runs more accurately. I've never had a watch with anti-reflection on the inside and out and it looks stunning. I'm starting to wish all my other watches had it now!

I appreciate all your time in responding to this question.

Chris

·
Registered
283 Posts
If it running consistently fast and has no signs of abuse then take it to any authorized dealer for it to be adjusted by the factory. Don't know why it was mentioned to take it to a watchmaker. Why would you want to void the warranty and pay out of pocket for the service? As others have mentioned, there is a premium price for COSC status and that is exactly what you should have for at least two years.

Good luck

·
Registered
18,182 Posts
If it running consistently fast and has no signs of abuse then take it to any authorized dealer for it to be adjusted by the factory. Don't know why it was mentioned to take it to a watchmaker. Why would you want to void the warranty and pay out of pocket for the service? As others have mentioned, there is a premium price for COSC status and that is exactly what you should have for at least two years.

Good luck
It is a second hand watch, not covered by a TAGHeuer warranty. I suspect the vendor is eating the service fees...

Generally I find Chronometers stay accurate until they need service. Then they get serviced and are usually just as accurate as they were before... but sometimes not!! Find watchmakers you can trust if you want to become a collector.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts