WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey thinking about getting a Seiko Automatic movement (i.e. the seiko 5 diver watch) diving watch but the problem is I might not wear it too often. If I wore it max 4 times a week for 6 or 7 hours at a time would that be enough to keep the watch going without stopping because of non movement? Also does the watch stop immediately after you take it off? Im a bit of a newbie to automatic watch movements

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
It depends on how active you are. Sounds like you might be pushing it. If the watch is fully wound, you should easily get 40+ hours of power reserve (that's what your asking, the power reserve). Seiko's are pretty efficient at self-winding, but if you are particularly inert (sitting at a desk, then calmly driving home), it's possible the watch won't get fully wound.

However, letting the watch run down doesn't cause any problems to the watch, and resetting it isn't hard. I generally consider it a "bonding" moment when I set my watch in the morning (I rotate through a bunch so usually the watch I pick has stopped).

Finally, you can buy a winder that keeps the watch running for you, but paying $100 to wind a $200 watch might be false economy. Of course, this hobby isn't logical.

·
Registered
7,593 Posts
If you want to avoid a winder, best get one with a 4R15 or 6Rxx. The 50 hrs PR might just tide you over....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts