WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running since 1978. For you Timex fans, that was before the advent of the Ironman. The next breakthrough was the heart monitor then GPS. I remember running with a Timex box strapped to my arm that functioned as a GPS. In short, it sucked.

Garmin changed the game, Suunto jumped in and other companies came and went. Timex never caught up. I used to love Suunto but the Fenix grinds it into the dirt. The simple Apple Watch will meet almost all runners needs.

Casio has a high bar to clear and they did. Before I took the watch out for a run, I went with my youngest daughter for a two mile walk. That gave me plenty of time to tinker with the watch. It is not like anything else on the market and the instructions are non-existent. I can not recommend this enough. Better you screw up a walk that doesn’t count than a run that does. If you are a walker, write one off.

The more I tinkered with the watch, the more I became aware that it had all of the features I needed. Take the time to set the face of the watch so when you are exercising it has the data that is important to you. Read all of the selections since they are all similar. I changed them after my first run. For example, I prefer total distance over lap distance.

The watch performed like a champ. The screen is a little hard to read and I wish you could have 5 fields of data instead of 4 but it is easy changing screens. I did not set vibration so I missed every mile split but that was easily remedied when I was done. After wearing the watch for a while you don’t notice the size or heft.

Besides visibility issues and having not yet figured to delete messages, I am happy with the watch. If you factor in durability and solar charging, the watch is worth the price. Ask any runner who had ever taken a spill, particularly on trails. On my wish list I wish it synced with the Nike app. Overall, I am impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
749 Posts
Mine just arrived yesterday so I've only had time to use it on one run so far and I was equally impressed.

I still need to go in and change the display to show what I want it to display but after my run, it synched up the details to my Strava account seamlessly. The mileage recorded what my RunKeeper app logged perfectly.

The watch fit my 7.5" wrist very comfortably and the size was never an issue (it's more comfortable on the wrist than my Rangeman is). I find the display to be very crisp and very legible, even while on the go.

Like I said, I'm only one day in, but this is definitely a keeper.

Regarding the instructions - the type in the booklet that came with the watch is too small for my eyes but thankfully the instructions are also available online: https://support.casio.com/global/en/wat/manual/3475_en/

·
Registered
53 Posts
Does solar charge the watch after or do you have to charge with cable? For example if i run once a week and spend much time in the sun when not running.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can charge it both ways. During the week I run when it is dark but I would think if I was outside more, I would have to charge it less. I do not know why it would not work on a bike, the satellite maps your motion and the pulse is measured from your wrist.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
You can charge it both ways. During the week I run when it is dark but I would think if I was outside more, I would have to charge it less. I do not know why it would not work on a bike, the satellite maps your motion and the pulse is measured from your wrist.

Thanks! I've recently taken road cycling a lot more seriously after spending 3 decades on BMX and Mountain bike.

As I hit the big 4, I think I should take heart rate a lot more seriously.

I don't really like most of the offerings by Suunto, Polar and Garmin. And I hate the idea of strapping on an external HRM.

The phone apps + watch combo seems more attractive to me as I always need GPS navigation.

The B1000 Rangeman is an attractive watch IMO but too unwieldy for road cycling.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am a lifelong runner and have been plant based the majority of my adult life. I had a heart attack at 57 running my 25th marathon. At that point they realized I had a prior one that I was unaware of. Take care of yourself, especially your heart.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I cycle to work most days, so I am also interested in how well this new watch will suit cyclists.

·
7,405 Posts
H1000 is an incredible watch. The tech they were able to fit into this watch is amazing. I am really happy they are allowing software updates and am really happy it synchs with Google Fit. Between this, my Tag Connected, and my Apple Watch, everything could remain tracked and synched. I am still learning about this watch, but so far, I am so impressed.

Thanks! I've recently taken road cycling a lot more seriously after spending 3 decades on BMX and Mountain bike.

As I hit the big 4, I think I should take heart rate a lot more seriously.

I don't really like most of the offerings by Suunto, Polar and Garmin. And I hate the idea of strapping on an external HRM.

The phone apps + watch combo seems more attractive to me as I always need GPS navigation.

The B1000 Rangeman is an attractive watch IMO but too unwieldy for road cycling.
Im finally getting my Bike services after 3 years of very sporadic use. At 47 and too much desk work, I need to get back to putting miles on a bike and losing weight. I've been learning this watch over the last week and it is an incredible tool. I'm planning on using it for cycling and CKO when that opens up and I plan to do some reviews on it's fitness features.

I am a lifelong runner and have been plant based the majority of my adult life. I had a heart attack at 57 running my 25th marathon. At that point they realized I had a prior one that I was unaware of. Take care of yourself, especially your heart.

Thank God your able to type this and healthy!!! Are you still able to do the long runs, or have you switched anything up?

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I run 6 miles 4 times a week and walk 5 the other 3. My wife and youngest daughter were less than a quarter of a mile away and it really traumatized my youngest daughter. Apparently I was dead for 8 minutes. Thank goodness for CPR and dropping dead in front of a building with a defibrillator. I would like to run another half but I will have to measure their responses.

·
Registered
333 Posts
rand, good to see the reviews coming in finally.

so how strong is the vibe alert? how long will it take for solar-only to recharge a total empty battery?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Will this be useful for a cyclist?
This guy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt8GSFPJsKM talks a little about cycling. Fair warning, using it doesn't really come up until about 9 minutes in. Sounds like a lot of the calculations (like calories, VO2 max) only work while running, and not running on a treadmill. He also seems to think they may update it, so maybe it will change.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am sad to say that the majority of my diving watches have never seen water.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just received mine this week and did 3 rides on my road bike with it. I have compared it to my cycling computer, both the output of the GPS and heart rate (compared to a chest strap). The output data that I get in Strava is indistinguishable from one another. One thing I do notice is that the speed update interval on the watch screen is a bit long. So if you are slowing down or speeding up the displayed speed is not too accurate. Heart rate is spot on compared to a chest strap while cycling. Legibility of the screen is also very good: I hardly need to move my arm to read it.

That said, some of the software features are not as useful for cycling, like the training plans and VO2max values. Interestingly you get a cadence output while cycling, unfortunately I have no cadence sensor so I can't compare it.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
This guy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt8GSFPJsKM talks a little about cycling. Fair warning, using it doesn't really come up until about 9 minutes in. Sounds like a lot of the calculations (like calories, VO2 max) only work while running, and not running on a treadmill. He also seems to think they may update it, so maybe it will change.

Thanks!!!! I'll go watch it later!

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I just received mine this week and did 3 rides on my road bike with it. I have compared it to my cycling computer, both the output of the GPS and heart rate (compared to a chest strap). The output data that I get in Strava is indistinguishable from one another. One thing I do notice is that the speed update interval on the watch screen is a bit long. So if you are slowing down or speeding up the displayed speed is not too accurate. Heart rate is spot on compared to a chest strap while cycling. Legibility of the screen is also very good: I hardly need to move my arm to read it.

That said, some of the software features are not as useful for cycling, like the training plans and VO2max values. Interestingly you get a cadence output while cycling, unfortunately I have no cadence sensor so I can't compare it.
Thank you for the in depth information!!! If I am using Strava, the speed is a bit laggy too. I have a cateye wireless onboard with cadence sensor.

·
G-Shock Mod
13,911 Posts
Will this be useful for a cyclist?
Depends on what you are looking for. The lack of ANT+ connection means I can't connect the watch to a cadence sensor, that's a big minus for me (as a cyclist).

I know its apple to orange, but I still can't see myself running with GBD-H1000 over my Garmin (Fenix 5X). I think for a running / cycling watch, even the Garmin Instinct would do a better job (and cheaper, able to connect to external sensor, customizing display, etc).

I am only speaking as a pure "how well does it work as a running / cycling watch", and not including all the solar charging, toughness, being a G-Shock, etc.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fenix is the gold standard for fitness instruments but Casio more than held their own considering this is their first outing.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts