WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

121 - 140 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
RandM, such difference is ok. I am surprised by negative elevation. Is Houston below sea level?
As you can see on the map (i assume it Casio) it shows short cut through some house. That usually how it happen. It calculates within blank list of data without link to actual map or actual world and these deviations from actual route are these errors.
On Timex i had some issues when it kinda loosing it and stops calculation (no signal lost) and later catches on. I mean running something like 320m on 400 circuit is extreme example of this behavior.
so it jumps to next point it find itself in and calculates distance as if you really jumped from last to current by short cut.
Another issue is if watch goes into automatic exercise pause and it takes some time to regain it's position so you see these "short cuts".
It would be interesting to find out the distance on a professional, flat track, running straight in center for a few rounds to see which device is more accurate

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
It would be interesting to find out the distance on a professional, flat track, running straight in center for a few rounds to see which device is more accurate
In my case it was Garmin Forerunner110. I already did it. Neighborhood in the Iphone vs Casio vs apple watch should be as flat as track for testing purposes...
GPS shows some variation in elevation even if there is none. If it counts it as 3D surface it may add to the elapsed track length.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I kind of figured out where the Strava sync issue originates. It is actually not the communication between Casio and Strava, but between the G-shock move app and the cloud. My runs weren’t syncing at all anymore and when I logged in my Casio account via the browser I didn’t see my runs there either. Logging out of the app and logging in again solved the problem, but I lost the rides that didn’t sync. They are still on the watch though and I entered them manually in Strava for now.

Lets hope the app will soon be updated.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
probably cos your phone uses cell towers as well for greater accuracy
Cell towers are less precise than GPS by huge margin. like 700 time difference for civil applications and for actual it's 3500 time the difference.
AS WELL. as per spiels from phone manufacturers and app developers, they use the cell towers in conjunction with gps for greater accuracy.

also precision means nothing if you cant receive it on a cloudy day, in doors or in densely built up areas :roll:

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Just reading on the official G-Shock page (https://world.g-shock.com/asia-mea/en/products/g-squad/gbd-h1000/) that

Not sure if all are used at the same time, or whether watches manufactured for different regions use different satellite systems.
Most of navigation modules can use at lest 2 but many 3 systems. It's not like system is different it's key to decipher signal and frequency.
https://www.electronicdesign.com/technologies/test-measurement/article/21798204/realworld-drive-tests-declare-a-verdict-on-gpsglonass
Here you can see how using both technologies (not sure about 3) can yield better results in urban setting (compared to 1).
Most phones use GPS/GLONASS and can clearly use both at same time in order to compensate for obscured satellites and gain almost immediate lock.
Same can be said about smartwatch like my Samsung. Immediate lock outside and pretty consistent navigation.
I am intentionally not talking about 3d system. Apart from Australian based Tetsu it's rather useless for most of us.

I did not mention Casio because i am not sure how Casio arranged it and whatever it using. Long satellite locking times are usually typical for single (GPS/Glonass/china/Europe Galileo) use.
Don't take it as statement. Apart from Casio designers nobody knows it for sure. So i am not saying what exactly going on just pointing toward how it works in general.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Most of navigation modules can use at lest 2 but many 3 systems. It's not like system is different it's key to decipher signal and frequency.
https://www.electronicdesign.com/technologies/test-measurement/article/21798204/realworld-drive-tests-declare-a-verdict-on-gpsglonass
Here you can see how using both technologies (not sure about 3) can yield better results in urban setting (compared to 1).
Most phones use GPS/GLONASS and can clearly use both at same time in order to compensate for obscured satellites and gain almost immediate lock.
Same can be said about smartwatch like my Samsung. Immediate lock outside and pretty consistent navigation.
I am intentionally not talking about 3d system. Apart from Australian based Tetsu it's rather useless for most of us.

I did not mention Casio because i am not sure how Casio arranged it and whatever it using. Long satellite locking times are usually typical for single (GPS/Glonass/china/Europe Galileo) use.
Don't take it as statement. Apart from Casio designers nobody knows it for sure. So i am not saying what exactly going on just pointing toward how it works in general.
Thanks for the detailed comment. Yeah, with my Garmin Instinct, I was able to select which to use. I believe the options were (1) GPS, (2) GPS+GLONASS, (3) Galileo. Like you said, I'd be curious if the GBD-H1000 uses all of them at once, 1 of the 3, or a combination of them.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've been holding off on a fitness watch for years already after owning a Fitbit once that didn't even last a year. I vowed not to get another until G-Shock put one out that I could trust would last.

Now that it's finally a thing I'm disappointed that it's only a running watch - I bike, I hike... I don't run. From what I've read so far it's not really at it's full potential when recording activities other than running.

However, I've read some reviews of the GBD-H1000 that mention upgrades/improvements to the software and I'm curious if there's any solid info about this. Is it a sure thing? Is there a timeline for these improvements?

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I've been holding off on a fitness watch for years already after owning a Fitbit once that didn't even last a year. I vowed not to get another until G-Shock put one out that I could trust would last.

Now that it's finally a thing I'm disappointed that it's only a running watch - I bike, I hike... I don't run. From what I've read so far it's not really at it's full potential when recording activities other than running.

However, I've read some reviews of the GBD-H1000 that mention upgrades/improvements to the software and I'm curious if there's any solid info about this. Is it a sure thing? Is there a timeline for these improvements?
Updates are rising....
sub-buzz-11389-1526538814-1.jpg
But on serious side nobody knows.
People with Rangebast can chip in on how it went on that one since they likely share some hardware.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Personally, I doubt that Casio will add extra features that go beyond running on this particular model. Likely, they will come up with a new model in a couple of years that can do that. I mean, there's a reason why they labeled the button as "RUN" button on the watch. G-Shocks have always been relatively specialized (Rangeman for hiking; Frogman for diving, etc.). I predict that there will either be a more multi-functional fitness watch or a dedicated biking watch. I don't see them making a hiking watch because that's kind of what the Rangeman is already for.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Link your strava account to casio app and change activity to bike in strava. On the watch you can change pace or speed in activity view. Think speed is better for biking

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Personally, I doubt that Casio will add extra features that go beyond running on this particular model. Likely, they will come up with a new model in a couple of years that can do that. I mean, there's a reason why they labeled the button as "RUN" button on the watch. G-Shocks have always been relatively specialized (Rangeman for hiking; Frogman for diving, etc.). I predict that there will either be a more multi-functional fitness watch or a dedicated biking watch. I don't see them making a hiking watch because that's kind of what the Rangeman is already for.
People who had ever enjoyed smartwatches and fitness trackers look will look at it with pity. Any top 3 out 4 manufacturers and #5 (Apple, Samsung, fitbit, amazfit while Garmin is #5) come with updates and improvements.
Not all of them bug free but things get better and keep your device more in line with modern offerings. That kinda one of the bonuses of having smart watch over just watch. There is little point in getting bike watch, ruining watch, squatting watch and getting to sauna watch. These just different software parts within same sensor hardware.
At 200$ Protrek with HR is amazing buy and frankly has a say on the market too bad it's profit margin is about 1/3 of what Casio hoped to be so hardly going to stay this way.
Running
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9P-iUhzLiM
For biking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0iS8nqTVIA
Considering it Wear OS it totally expandable with 3d party soft. Including built in Strava, Nike, Google or whatever you fancy. If one is shady you try another one which works. All it will take to go home and find next on the phone. It's been around for some time and did not generated any significant buzz here.
My point - Casio facing two distinctively opposite directions only future and commercial success of one over another will show which will get more resources and devotion. thus improvements and staff to be added.
In current austere market i think we should expect less from Casio and just wait and hope while communicating these thought to Casio not on the forum here but directly.
If 1000 people call them you may see better biking thing. Without it not so much.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's different target audiences. As someone who owned an Apple Watch (2018, returned) and a Garmin Instinct (earlier this year, returned), I got interested in the GBD-H1000 because it is a watch with some running and fitness features (whereas the others are fitness watches with some watch features). I can't stand the battery life of Apple or wearOS watches; I don't want yet another device where I have to constantly check the battery and bring yet another charger on trips. If they ever make a watch that I can wear everyday without worrying about battery, I may revisit.

I agree though that it would be nice to add these features, and it may increase the target audience for this particular watch. But interface-wise, it's already crammed. It would require a revamp, and it would probably make runners, who bought the watch for this exact reason, upset.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi. How to delete all data from gbd-h1000 before selling for example. I could not delete daily/monthly step achievements and RT recovery time still shows some time? Will look stupid to sell with my few steps on the clock ;) Did unpair phone from app and reset all in watch menu but still visible?!

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
It's different target audiences. As someone who owned an Apple Watch (2018, returned) and a Garmin Instinct (earlier this year, returned), I got interested in the GBD-H1000 because it is a watch with some running and fitness features (whereas the others are fitness watches with some watch features). I can't stand the battery life of Apple or wearOS watches; I don't want yet another device where I have to constantly check the battery and bring yet another charger on trips. If they ever make a watch that I can wear everyday without worrying about battery, I may revisit.

I agree though that it would be nice to add these features, and it may increase the target audience for this particular watch. But interface-wise, it's already crammed. It would require a revamp, and it would probably make runners, who bought the watch for this exact reason, upset.
Most, if not all running GPS watches are made for triathlons as well. They usually have at the minimum biking and swimming tracking unless you are talking about the most basic models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Most, if not all running GPS watches are made for triathlons as well. They usually have at the minimum biking and swimming tracking unless you are talking about the most basic models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not non smart GPS watches. These often are runners and that's it. You can track your time and distance but by any means there is 0 adjustments for different sports. Garmin (i am citing use Forerunner 110) went for better flexibility within their web service. So you do can choose activity but nothing on the watch itself.
It does not mean you can't track your activity since you do see time, distance and pace just calorie count won't be accurate.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had this for a few weeks now, and run (with the watch) 2-3 times per week. After week 1, I've had a problem where the Heart rate measurement is horribly inaccurate.
I mean it's off 50 or more sometimes (always reads high). For instance, I start my run with a short walk, then light jog, then ramp up from there - including hills.
According to the watch, when I first start jogging, my rate is 150+, then when I get on the hill, it's at 130-140? WTF?
Basically, anytime my arm moves it gets confused. I've tried tight, loose, left arm, right arm, upside down, inner wrist, nonthing seems to work.
Did I just get a defective one? Is anyone else having issues?

121 - 140 of 195 Posts