WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

141 - 160 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had this for a few weeks now, and run (with the watch) 2-3 times per week. After week 1, I've had a problem where the Heart rate measurement is horribly inaccurate.
I mean it's off 50 or more sometimes (always reads high). For instance, I start my run with a short walk, then light jog, then ramp up from there - including hills.
According to the watch, when I first start jogging, my rate is 150+, then when I get on the hill, it's at 130-140? WTF?
Basically, anytime my arm moves it gets confused. I've tried tight, loose, left arm, right arm, upside down, inner wrist, nonthing seems to work.
Did I just get a defective one? Is anyone else having issues?

I want to love this watch - but if it's main selling point (heart rate while running) doesn't work, then that's a huge problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine seems accurate, usually around 60 while resting, 80-110 while walking or warming up, and between 140-180 while running (and it seems proportional to how my body feels when I am pushing it, e.g., up the hill). How tightly do you wear it? I usually make it fairly tight so that it doesn't wiggle during running.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Most, if not all running GPS watches are made for triathlons as well. They usually have at the minimum biking and swimming tracking unless you are talking about the most basic models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah, I think this watch really is more of a EDC watch with GPS + HR capabilities and running analysis rather than a dedicated fitness smartwatch that you would wear only during exercise for example. Of course, it would be nice to track other activities as well, but nothing prevents you to use its main features like GPS and HR during other activities. I mean, technically, Distance, time, pace (and maybe HR or elevation) are the only things one really needs. Stuff like calorie burned etc is a neat gimmick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. How to delete all data from gbd-h1000 before selling for example. I could not delete daily/monthly step achievements and RT recovery time still shows some time? Will look stupid to sell with my few steps on the clock 😉 Did unpair phone from app and reset all in watch menu but still visible?!
There is a ‘reset all’ option in the general settings menu that you can enter from timekeeping mode. Haven’t tried it myself for obvious reasons 😉

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah, I think this watch really is more of a EDC watch with GPS + HR capabilities and running analysis rather than a dedicated fitness smartwatch that you would wear only during exercise for example. Of course, it would be nice to track other activities as well, but nothing prevents you to use its main features like GPS and HR during other activities. I mean, technically, Distance, time, pace (and maybe HR or elevation) are the only things one really needs. Stuff like calorie burned etc is a neat gimmick.
I got mine about a week ago and this is basically my use. I like to have a watch around for hiking that has a compass. I like the heart rate monitor but it's more of a curiosity thing, I'm not a serious runner. I like solar. I'm pretty happy with the watch. Even if I decided I didn't care about the heart rate capability anymore, I'm not sure what else I'd rather have.

I may start another thread about GBD-H1000 as an everyday watch vs this one, "running with the GBD-H1000".

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had this for a few weeks now, and run (with the watch) 2-3 times per week. After week 1, I've had a problem where the Heart rate measurement is horribly inaccurate.
I mean it's off 50 or more sometimes (always reads high). For instance, I start my run with a short walk, then light jog, then ramp up from there - including hills.
According to the watch, when I first start jogging, my rate is 150+, then when I get on the hill, it's at 130-140? WTF?
Basically, anytime my arm moves it gets confused. I've tried tight, loose, left arm, right arm, upside down, inner wrist, nonthing seems to work.
Did I just get a defective one? Is anyone else having issues?

I want to love this watch - but if it's main selling point (heart rate while running) doesn't work, then that's a huge problem.
I don't have anything else to really compare, but mine seems to be right, or at least make sense. My resting (sitting) is in the 50's which corresponds to what I've seen at medical check ups. Brisk walk 100 or so. I can't prove it's accurate, but it seems to at least make sense. Slowish jog seems to be around 150.

Since it seemed accurate initially, could the sensor have failed, or need to be cleaned or something?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
this has always been the case, as with all Gs, i dont know why ppl continue to think otherwise. tho i spose it doesnt help with all the articles and videos perpetuating something that simply isnt true or comparing it to dedicated devices. all it does is make ppl hate or be disappointed in an otherwise good watch simply cos they built up fictional expectations of it.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Most of the fitness trackers are designed to be worn daily and substitute watch completely.
Fitbit to be specific championed it along with Samsung/Apple. Even Chinese are on board.
Next Samsung will be smaller by 1mm.
It's not the case for dedicated runners watches which are often really made to be piece of gear and not a daily thing. But they constitute rather small portion of the market for past 5 years (after Fitbit/apple/Samsung became a thing).
That one of my issues with Casio line of "smart" watches why they so big?
Not to mention world of fitness/smartwatches moved to next step (Apple/Samsung did) with more medical applications which again will attract more customers who will find it useful.
Both private and corporate by the way.

Thing is it's not 100% hardware. Rather it 30% hardware and 70% software which is patented, researched and proven. Once you in it you become household name
Link to Apple Health below
https://www.apple.com/ca/ios/health/#:~:text=The Health app can incorporate,nutrition to meditation to fitness.&text=Data collected from apps is,logged directly on your iPhone.
It's not even full disclosure what this means and what it provides both to you and your doctor. What hospital may get from it if need arise.

To benefit from it wear it only when you train is totally wrong idea. Manufactures know it and they build their devices to highest wearable comfort and totally pass in daily life AKA dressy thing.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
They are a much smaller portion of the market but the majority of true fitness smart watches built for discerning athletes are 47-51mm. Of course I am referring to Garmin and Suunto. Both have a 42 mm model. As far as smart watches, they go toe to toe with anyone but the lag behind Apple on the cardiac features. Both Suunto and Garmin have attempted to model their watches as business wear appropriate, particularly the Garmin Marq line.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
They are a much smaller portion of the market but the majority of true fitness smart watches built for discerning athletes are 47-51mm. Of course I am referring to Garmin and Suunto. Both have a 42 mm model. As far as smart watches, they go toe to toe with anyone but the lag behind Apple on the cardiac features. Both Suunto and Garmin have attempted to model their watches as business wear appropriate, particularly the Garmin Marq line.

Generally speaking smartwatches outsell sports watches by factor of 5 (not sure how it defined in statistics they don't splurge their criteria) smartbands it will be 6 to 1. so for 24 millions of smartwaches moved for example it will be 4 millions smart bands and 4.5-5 millions of "sports" watches. Whatever it means.
On men market sure 42 mm watch will be not a huge seller but consider that.... for all companies (Casio not included) female customers comprise more than half of the audience (it's 40 male to 50-60 female ratio).
Women to be seen wearing 60mm monstrosity is quite a rare sight.
Apple clearly realized who are their clients and dedicated whole campaign to female customer base (Samsung did it too). Both companies continue to invest in advertisement for women.
https://www.ablogtowatch.com/apple-watch-marketing-targets-women/
For sure this fact clearly amiss since we don't read said magazines etc.
25 % of US women use smartwatch as fitness tracker (2020) opposite to 18% of males.
Functionally there is 0 difference between smaller and bigger watches apart from screen size and battery capacity so it's not like bigger watch gives you more pizzaz.
I can attest to 42mm Samsung. smaller size only made it more dressy and appropriate in every day life. It's as light and as portable as square G.
I am OK with charging it once a 3 days and not 5-6 days due to smaller size. 40mm Samsung is clearly for women but again it can be bought in neutral black.

My point here there is far more to the market than some people may see based upon their point of view. I am saying it as let really see bigger picture here.
It's fine for Casio to market their watches for bigger male wrists and it has it's benefits as engineering choice (easier to make bigger watch after all).
My worry is product don't make money Casio going to half ass it. Like they did with WSD though i suspect Google is also half assing agent here.
Targeting product at already crowded market. Limiting product appeal at smaller portion of that market makes it already niche. Or very niche as such.
Don't get me wrong not bad product but niche. I don't own one so can't judge it. What i own is bunch of other devices targeted at similar use. Given choice to pick Casio or not to pick Casio i based my choices on experience, needs and functionality. So don't own it or previous Casio attempts is a choice made by comparison. As much as i love Casio it's did not helped it to win my money.

Also, just anecdotal. When i walked into BestBuy to get my wife a smart watch. 42mm model was old out. Only one 40 mm was left in stock while 46mm was aplenty. Answer was if you need 42 mm we need to order additional ones and restock them.

Demand for smaller models is nothing to sneeze at.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
That is why a prefaced my comments with discerning athletes. Most running and sport watches are like running shoes, they never break 2 mph.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've been using this watch about a week now and I'm really happy with the watch itself. HR is accurate and GPS is sharp. But I have some serious issues with the Move app. I'm using iPhone (11 Pro Max) and it constantly loses the bluetooth pairing with the watch. And when I pair the watch again, my steps are doubled in the app, for example watch says 13 000 steps but app says 26 000. Ridiculous. Any other having the same issues? I truly hope they can fix these annoying issues. But the watch itself has no zero issues.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've been using this watch about a week now and I'm really happy with the watch itself. HR is accurate and GPS is sharp. But I have some serious issues with the Move app. I'm using iPhone (11 Pro Max) and it constantly loses the bluetooth pairing with the watch. And when I pair the watch again, my steps are doubled in the app, for example watch says 13 000 steps but app says 26 000. Ridiculous. Any other having the same issues? I truly hope they can fix these annoying issues. But the watch itself has no zero issues.
No problem like this with the iPhone X. Of course, it loses connection if you are farther than 5 yards or sth like that, but the number of steps in the MOVE app and on the watch are always exactly the same.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Tell me more about these "discerning athletes", lol.
Could not put my finger on the correct adjective. Serious may have worked. The point I was making when you lined up at a marathon you did not see a lot of fit bits. Garmin, Suunto and Polar dominated.

·
Registered
323 Posts
this has always been the case, as with all Gs, i dont know why ppl continue to think otherwise. tho i spose it doesnt help with all the articles and videos perpetuating something that simply isnt true or comparing it to dedicated devices. all it does is make ppl hate or be disappointed in an otherwise good watch simply cos they built up fictional expectations of it.
It seems to me that Casio is about 10 years behind and their marketing team missed its mark.

For the most part here we are G-Shock enthusiasts... Now imagine the average guy (and I say guy because most women would probably find it too big, another missed mark) looking for a watch to track exercise and measure his vitals, he likes this one because it doesn’t have to be recharged every few days, but then finds that it lacks functions even compared to a basic Fitbit he had some years ago... Add to this the glitches the app is having, and that compared to other apps (Fitbit, Garmin, apple, Samsung, etc) it’s very basic...

I think Casio could’ve done a better job at an exercise watch, or marketed it better at least so that it would be clear that this is a watch with some functions for the city dweller that runs a few miles a day...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Generally speaking smartwatches outsell sports watches by factor of 5 (not sure how it defined in statistics they don't splurge their criteria) smartbands it will be 6 to 1. so for 24 millions of smartwaches moved for example it will be 4 millions smart bands and 4.5-5 millions of "sports" watches. Whatever it means.
On men market sure 42 mm watch will be not a huge seller but consider that.... for all companies (Casio not included) female customers comprise more than half of the audience (it's 40 male to 50-60 female ratio).
Women to be seen wearing 60mm monstrosity is quite a rare sight.
Apple clearly realized who are their clients and dedicated whole campaign to female customer base (Samsung did it too). Both companies continue to invest in advertisement for women.
https://www.ablogtowatch.com/apple-watch-marketing-targets-women/
For sure this fact clearly amiss since we don't read said magazines etc.
25 % of US women use smartwatch as fitness tracker (2020) opposite to 18% of males.
Functionally there is 0 difference between smaller and bigger watches apart from screen size and battery capacity so it's not like bigger watch gives you more pizzaz.
I can attest to 42mm Samsung. smaller size only made it more dressy and appropriate in every day life. It's as light and as portable as square G.
I am OK with charging it once a 3 days and not 5-6 days due to smaller size. 40mm Samsung is clearly for women but again it can be bought in neutral black.

My point here there is far more to the market than some people may see based upon their point of view. I am saying it as let really see bigger picture here.
It's fine for Casio to market their watches for bigger male wrists and it has it's benefits as engineering choice (easier to make bigger watch after all).
My worry is product don't make money Casio going to half ass it. Like they did with WSD though i suspect Google is also half assing agent here.
Targeting product at already crowded market. Limiting product appeal at smaller portion of that market makes it already niche. Or very niche as such.
Don't get me wrong not bad product but niche. I don't own one so can't judge it.

Also, just anecdotal. When i walked into BestBuy to get my wife a smart watch. 42mm model was old out. Only one 40 mm was left in stock while 46mm was aplenty. Answer was if you need 42 mm we need to order additional ones and restock them.

Demand for smaller models is nothing to sneeze at.
Very well said!

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
It seems to me that Casio is about 10 years behind and their marketing team missed its mark.

For the most part here we are G-Shock enthusiasts... Now imagine the average guy (and I say guy because most women would probably find it too big, another missed mark) looking for a watch to track exercise and measure his vitals, he likes this one because it doesn’t have to be recharged every few days, but then finds that it lacks functions even compared to a basic Fitbit he had some years ago... Add to this the glitches the app is having, and that compared to other apps (Fitbit, Garmin, apple, Samsung, etc) it’s very basic...

I think Casio could’ve done a better job at an exercise watch, or marketed it better at least so that it would be clear that this is a watch with some functions for the city dweller that runs a few miles a day...
to me it seems that all other brands are 30 years behind in making a tough, stand alone, cableless watches. see what happens when you compare apples and oranges?
not sure the point of your scenario, if he finds out the G isnt for him then he'll just buy something that is. if he blindly buys it cos of some marketing he saw then hes a fool and needs a grown up to hold on to his wallet.

i dont see how they could market it any better. the few video ads ive seen does exactly what they want it to do, highlights key features and makes ppl aware that the tough watch company now has one with fitness functions. im guessing by "better" you mean to point out its short comings when compared to other watches its not competing against, if thats your version of better marketing, no one would ever buy an apple product! lol

for a first time effort of a tough watch with some fitness functions, i think they did pretty well and there's no doubt there will be many more in the future. just like theres no doubt there'll be a womens version, how can they miss the mark when you havent even given them a chance to release it? the gbdh still isnt even fully available in all markets yet! or an app that has problems because it isnt compatible with the latest os update? sheesh, tough crowd, or just trying to pick every little thing to make it sound worse than it is. this is exactly what im talking about when i say ppl are creating fictitious expectations of it.

141 - 160 of 195 Posts