WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

161 - 180 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Tetsu, they had chances of releasing it for past 5-8 years. Casio actually did release their vision of woman oriented fitness G.
Opposite of love is not hate it's ignoring completely. So some people who complain about lack of progress do love Casio and want them to do better so they can opt for G-Shock or whatever Casio will chose but not happy with offers.
It's not a bad watch though 1 sec stopwatch seem totally out of place.

Toughness is nice selling point but it reminds me of some old joke:
Baby Camel and mama Camel talking:
Mom, why we have these humps?
So we can go over the desert for weeks without food or water son.
Mom, why the have these huge hoofs?
So we can go over desert sands and never sink in into them.
Mom, why we have these thick lips?
So we can eat thorny desert plants son.
Mom, why need all of this in the Zoo?

In 99.999% cases it all nice but... we done this argument before. Right?

As person who been running and mountain biking for past 30 years i can attest it's really weak argument - tough watch.

·
Registered
323 Posts
to me it seems that all other brands are 30 years behind in making a tough, stand alone, cableless watches. see what happens when you compare apples and oranges?
not sure the point of your scenario, if he finds out the G isnt for him then he'll just buy something that is. if he blindly buys it cos of some marketing he saw then hes a fool and needs a grown up to hold on to his wallet.

i dont see how they could market it any better. the few video ads ive seen does exactly what they want it to do, highlights key features and makes ppl aware that the tough watch company now has one with fitness functions. im guessing by "better" you mean to point out its short comings when compared to other watches its not competing against, if thats your version of better marketing, no one would ever buy an apple product! lol

for a first time effort of a tough watch with some fitness functions, i think they did pretty well and there's no doubt there will be many more in the future. just like theres no doubt there'll be a womens version, how can they miss the mark when you havent even given them a chance to release it? the gbdh still isnt even fully available in all markets yet! or an app that has problems because it isnt compatible with the latest os update? sheesh, tough crowd, or just trying to pick every little thing to make it sound worse than it is. this is exactly what im talking about when i say ppl are creating fictitious expectations of it.
It sounds to me as if you’re speaking with a bit of brand love and passion here, I’m speaking purely from a marketing and competitiveness point of view.

Wether we like it or not this watch is competing with other fitness watches, and now there are some tough ones as well (maybe they won’t withstand a truck running over them, but they’re tough). Garmin Instinct Tactical for $299, and if you want to spend more Garmin tactix for $899. Both of these built to military standards and I’m sure they’re available for less than MSRP just like G-Shocks.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/690051/pn/010-02064-70

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/696005

Yes in my scenario the guy can opt for something else, but that’s not what Casio wants is it? They don’t put out a product saying “if people don’t like it they can buy something else!”. Additionally to not make a watch that both men and women would want is beyond me. Why not target 50% (if not more) of your potential customers? They could’ve made a somewhat smaller watch (if technically possible of course, and I think it is) with more color options and targeted to both sexes.

It seems to me the only advantage of the G-Shock is its solar power, no need to charge every few days. But even the charging watches are getting better at this. The instinct goes for 21 days according to their website.

Btw, I’m not affiliated with Garmin or own any of their products. I am 44 and I like to wear a watch and have refused to cross the line and have something else I need to charge. When I do exercise I don’t need to know the last little detail so that I can post it on FB, at least not now although I am getting a bicycle in the near future therefore I might like to know a bit more about my rides but I might just use the Fitbit band a bought a few years ago.
With this said I recognize and I admit I’m not the target audience for this G-Shock, it is probably a 20 something to 30 something professional that is into recreational running. But if this guy decides to get a bike, or introduce swimming into his workouts, well he’ll have to get another watch I guess.

And no I’m not putting Casio down, just expecting better from the leader of digital watches. They’ve been outdone by a few companies that didn’t even make watches a few years ago and now they’re trying to jump into the game with a somewhat technically lacking product in regards to their competition. Now if this was a solar powered, multisport, compatible with popular fitness and health apps (not sure if it is), GPS watch at a reasonable size and aimed at both men and women they would’ve hit it out of the park IMO!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Tetsu, they had chances of releasing it for past 5-8 years. Casio actually did release their vision of woman oriented fitness G.
Opposite of love is not hate it's ignoring completely. So some people who complain about lack of progress do love Casio and want them to do better so they can opt for G-Shock or whatever Casio will chose but not happy with offers.

As person who been running and mountain biking for past 30 years i can attest it's really weak argument - tough watch.
Hence my point. Well said!

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
It sounds to me as if you’re speaking with a bit of brand love and passion here, I’m speaking purely from a marketing and competitiveness point of view.

Wether we like it or not this watch is competing with other fitness watches, and now there are some tough ones as well (maybe they won’t withstand a truck running over them, but they’re tough). Garmin Instinct Tactical for $299, and if you want to spend more Garmin tactix for $899. Both of these built to military standards and I’m sure they’re available for less than MSRP just like G-Shocks.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/690051/pn/010-02064-70

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/696005

Yes in my scenario the guy can opt for something else, but that’s not what Casio wants is it? They don’t put out a product saying “if people don’t like it they can buy something else!”. Additionally to not make a watch that both men and women would want is beyond me. Why not target 50% (if not more) of your potential customers? They could’ve made a somewhat smaller watch (if technically possible of course, and I think it is) with more color options and targeted to both sexes.

It seems to me the only advantage of the G-Shock is its solar power, no need to charge every few days. But even the charging watches are getting better at this. The instinct goes for 21 days according to their website.

Btw, I’m not affiliated with Garmin or own any of their products. I am 44 and I like to wear a watch and have refused to cross the line and have something else I need to charge. When I do exercise I don’t need to know the last little detail so that I can post it on FB, at least not now although I am getting a bicycle in the near future therefore I might like to know a bit more about my rides but I might just use the Fitbit band a bought a few years ago.
With this said I recognize and I admit I’m not the target audience for this G-Shock, it is probably a 20 something to 30 something professional that is into recreational running. But if this guy decides to get a bike, or introduce swimming into his workouts, well he’ll have to get another watch I guess.

And no I’m not putting Casio down, just expecting better from the leader of digital watches. They’ve been outdone by a few companies that didn’t even make watches a few years ago and now they’re trying to jump into the game with a somewhat technically lacking product in regards to their competition. Now if this was a solar powered, multisport, compatible with popular fitness and health apps (not sure if it is), GPS watch at a reasonable size and aimed at both men and women they would’ve hit it out of the park IMO!
A bit? It is the G forum after all, right? If it was any other forum we'd be calling them cheap plastic junk made for kids
As much of a fanboi I am, Im speaking from logic and common sense of comparing apples with apples. Im also including the general stance ppl have taken and the one sided/double standards they’ve used for comparison, which some of your comments included.

You gotta take that whole, loosely regulated milspec standard with a huge grain of salt but good on garmin for finally coming to the table, even its it’s a poor attempt at trying to compete with casio ;) sorry, i meant to say, "too little too late garmin, why didnt you make it sooner??" haha
they really missed the mark on both of those watches tho. Huge size, dull colours, def. not suitable for women. Why wouldn’t they just make them smaller so both sexes could use them?? Another huge fail garmin!!

Of course casio doesn’t want to lose customers but how do you suggest they gain customers who are after something they don’t offer? Is mcdonalds going to start serving pasta in fear someone might take their business elsewhere?
The product they put out quite clearly isn’t a silver bullet and doesn’t cover everything, it was never meant to.

As ive said, theyre not stupid, a smaller version with hrm is already on its way and im sure they’ll also do a range that will target women specifically, theyre notorious for covering all tiers, so saying they’ve missed the opportunity or aren’t up to speed or whatever is premature and rather naïve. Unless of course ppl are just looking for something to whinge about then im not going to stand in their way.

See that’s the thing, are they lacking if theyre not directly competing? Theyre simply expanding the functionality of their current line up and are doing it at a reserved pace to test the waters and iron out the kinks while leaving room for new models.
Going by the specs of that fantasy watch you describe, you could easily apply it to any brand as hitting the mark but why ask it of a company on its first try for a model they had no intention of producing? why not complain to the companies that have been doing it for years but still having gotten it right?

·
Registered
323 Posts
A bit? It is the G forum after all, right? If it was any other forum we'd be calling them cheap plastic junk made for kids
As much of a fanboi I am, Im speaking from logic and common sense of comparing apples with apples. Im also including the general stance ppl have taken and the one sided/double standards they’ve used for comparison, which some of your comments included.

You gotta take that whole, loosely regulated milspec standard with a huge grain of salt but good on garmin for finally coming to the table, even its it’s a poor attempt at trying to compete with casio ;) sorry, i meant to say, "too little too late garmin, why didnt you make it sooner??" haha
they really missed the mark on both of those watches tho. Huge size, dull colours, def. not suitable for women. Why wouldn’t they just make them smaller so both sexes could use them?? Another huge fail garmin!!

Of course casio doesn’t want to lose customers but how do you suggest they gain customers who are after something they don’t offer? Is mcdonalds going to start serving pasta in fear someone might take their business elsewhere?
The product they put out quite clearly isn’t a silver bullet and doesn’t cover everything, it was never meant to.

As ive said, theyre not stupid, a smaller version with hrm is already on its way and im sure they’ll also do a range that will target women specifically, theyre notorious for covering all tiers, so saying they’ve missed the opportunity or aren’t up to speed or whatever is premature and rather naïve. Unless of course ppl are just looking for something to whinge about then im not going to stand in their way.

See that’s the thing, are they lacking if theyre not directly competing? Theyre simply expanding the functionality of their current line up and are doing it at a reserved pace to test the waters and iron out the kinks while leaving room for new models.
Going by the specs of that fantasy watch you describe, you could easily apply it to any brand as hitting the mark but why ask it of a company on its first try for a model they had no intention of producing? why not complain to the companies that have been doing it for years but still having gotten it right?
Companies make products hoping to create a habit and desire for their product with the intent of selling as many units as possible and making a profit, lets not forget that to begin with. Unfortunately for Casio it’s not me that’s unforgiving, it’s the market as it’s cruel and tough and doesn’t have patience to baby companies that are lacking in a certain product against the competition...

And yes, once again I say competition because Casio is competing with this watch with other fitness watches, the market perceives it that way and it’s actually quite naive to think that it isn’t. When the Apple Watch came out it shocked the watch world. Even the big Swiss mechanical companies were scared and affected, and understood that this little electronic pebble was their competition and would take customers away... For us G-Shock fans that run every once in a while it’s a fine watch, but for the exercise world it’s lacking, just google a few YouTube reviews that are not from g-shock enthusiasts and you’ll see...

Casio is the leader in digital watches, and as such IMO it should’ve jumped on the fitness watch trend many years ago... Probably even the smart phone bandwagon but that’s another story (g-phone ). It is late to the game and no doubt they have the capabilities and resources to make a great watch to be a key player in the competitive fitness watch market, they’re just not there yet...

I love their watches because they have an aura of the past, of when I was a kid and of simple technology.... But I’m not blind to the fact that this is old technology and Casio makes a killing with G-Shock with their LEs by changing colors over the same technology... I also recognize that they’ve put a lot into analog watches and are probably the leaders in multifunction analog quartz watches...

I could be wrong, but I have the perception that Casio, in regards to watches, became this large, slow and somewhat comfortable behemoth and as of a few years it has been working hard to modernize itself with products that the younger generations want. And I cheer to them for that!

As for Garmin catching up to Casio, they seem to be doing well on sales with their running watches...

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Running-GPS-Units/zgbs/electronics/617647011

4 out 10 watches on this list:
https://www.techradar.com/news/best-running-watches-best-gps-running-watches

As for this topic, I’m done with it my friend and wish you health, blessings and many fond memories down under with as many of these little buggers on your wrist as possible!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sync to strava stopped working today. Anybody else with same problem? Says not linked but cant link it. Norhing happens when i pres link on website

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

What chances? What womens fitness G? a model with hrm and fitness tracking was only released a month ago, some regions don’t have it yet, others like AU have sold out and are waiting for more stock, yet ppl are saying casio missed a chance at an option for women?? Makes completely no sense.

Sure theres always ppl that will complain that a watch doesn’t have everything under the sun but that’s not what im discussing here nor what ppl are saying. Ppl are complaining how a Humvee is bad on fuel and is hard to park in a shopping center compared to a Nissan leaf lol

Yes yes, we know, you think everyone should just have only a f91w and a phone cos why bother having anything else beyond what you need??? lol

Im not sure if that camel story is an actual joke, an annoying attempt at philosophy or just an example of naivety in children. Clearly it ignores evolution or the harsh reality response the mum could give about their ancestors or what would happen to the kid if they were to ever get dumped back out into the wild lol It sounds like the moral is saying “why shower when youre only going to get dirty again” but in all truth it should be “its better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it”.

The tough watch argument might not hold as much weight against regular casios in regular use but it stands miles above the fragility of smart watches (yes im aware theres now 2 milspec versions). Toughness is just one point of many amongst functions and looks for Gs, necessary or not, theyll continue to market it as such and ppl will continue to by them for it.
Think about it tho, if you knew you were going to treat your watch rough or that it was going to take a beating, would you go with a watch that -might- be ok most of the time or would you go with one that was def. going to survive everything and then some? easy choice and the reason why we're all here |>

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Companies make products hoping to create a habit and desire for their product with the intent of selling as many units as possible and making a profit, lets not forget that to begin with. Unfortunately for Casio it’s not me that’s unforgiving, it’s the market as it’s cruel and tough and doesn’t have patience to baby companies that are lacking in a certain product against the competition...

And yes, once again I say competition because Casio is competing with this watch with other fitness watches, the market perceives it that way and it’s actually quite naive to think that it isn’t. When the Apple Watch came out it shocked the watch world. Even the big Swiss mechanical companies were scared and affected, and understood that this little electronic pebble was their competition and would take customers away... For us G-Shock fans that run every once in a while it’s a fine watch, but for the exercise world it’s lacking, just google a few YouTube reviews that are not from g-shock enthusiasts and you’ll see...

Casio is the leader in digital watches, and as such IMO it should’ve jumped on the fitness watch trend many years ago... Probably even the smart phone bandwagon but that’s another story (g-phone ). It is late to the game and no doubt they have the capabilities and resources to make a great watch to be a key player in the competitive fitness watch market, they’re just not there yet...

I love their watches because they have an aura of the past, of when I was a kid and of simple technology.... But I’m not blind to the fact that this is old technology and Casio makes a killing with G-Shock with their LEs by changing colors over the same technology... I also recognize that they’ve put a lot into analog watches and are probably the leaders in multifunction analog quartz watches...

I could be wrong, but I have the perception that Casio, in regards to watches, became this large, slow and somewhat comfortable behemoth and as of a few years it has been working hard to modernize itself with products that the younger generations want. And I cheer to them for that!

As for Garmin catching up to Casio, they seem to be doing well on sales with their running watches...

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Running-GPS-Units/zgbs/electronics/617647011

4 out 10 watches on this list:
https://www.techradar.com/news/best-running-watches-best-gps-running-watches

As for this topic, I’m done with it my friend and wish you health, blessings and many fond memories down under with as many of this little buggers on your wrist as possible!
create a habit and desire for their product with the intent of selling as many units as possible and making a profit
Lets not forget, casio has already been doing exactly that for 35+ years ;) and they are well established as a tough watch company, not a smart watch or fitness watch company.

Where does that (mis)perception come from? From naïve fitness watch wearers and individuals that keep perpetuating a false narrative (dear god, ive used “narrative” in a sentence. Someone slap my wokeass) which is why ive been trying to shed some light on the apples vs oranges comparisons. I don’t need to listen to some fool um and ahhh and fumble his way thru a 20min unboxing to know that theyre going about it the wrong way ;)

Maybe they were a little slow with the pick up of fitness watches possibly because of the old guard and maybe it was spurred on by the hand over to his son or maybe it was a technological challenge trying to get the components into a watch and have it retain a G rating, functionality and look?
They have said in interviews that they had no intention of making just another smart watch and honestly I don’t see the point if they just went ahead and created another Fenix or whatever. If they did, it would’ve likely to have been bad as a garmin and even worse as a G.
Youre right, theyre not there yet, its literally their first proper attempt, which is why im saying, judge it for what it is and leave the side by side comparisons for 5-10 years time when theyre playing the same sport on the same field.

While it seems they make a killing on LE’s, the extra design time/client liasing/production changes required and the low production runs would negate any such killing persay, not to say theyre not keeping things happily in the black tho. As a marketing tool and hardcore collector pleaser however, theyre priceless.
Yes theyre using basic tech for the most part but that’s what works and what sells and reanot much else is needed or wanted when it comes to a hard wearing watch.
Im glad they haven’t buckled to tech treads and tried to make i-watch 2.0 …with a new hat.

Wow, a running watch brand is in the top sellers of running watches. Good for them! haha :-!

hope the meth gators arent bothering you too much and youre staying safe from the nut jobs! actual quote i heard from a FL anticovid rally (cos thats also a thing??) "i dont wear a mask for the same reason i dont wear underwear, things gotta breathe"
FL out FL-ing itself as always! haha

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
There is a point where argument looses it's point. Meaning there is no point in arguing. For one reason or another it does not matter what the reason is.
I never said Casio made bad watch rather someone else did better wearable. That my opinion. Tetsu, you disagree with me and it's fine.
On my side, sum of qualities i needed in my watch for running and everyday life disagreed with what Casio had to offer.
Which is also fine. We assume it's free world and at least when it comes to our writs it mostly is.
I still love Casio. It's still #1 watch for me and despite fact that in past 1.5 years all my extensive Caiso and not only Casio collection was rendered obsolete (apart from time i am riding my motorcycle on a sunny day i do prefer analog watch) i still interested and care.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can we please move on from the marketing discussions? There are Rolex divers that have only been worn dinner tables.

I for one like it because this is a well built watch and I appreciate that kind of quality. And it has solar power. I’ve had it for over a month now and have not yet gotten the charge cable out of the box. I drained the battery to ‘low’ in the first week with heart rate always on. Ever since I switched that off the battery has been slowly charged and now, 3 weeks later, I am at 5 bars. I use the gps and heart rate for about 4 hours per week but always outside, so it gets a little sun while I cycle. Other than that I leave it in the window sil that will catch the first rays of sun in the morning and thats about as much as I actively do to solar charge it. I must say I’m really impressed with the solar ability of this watch, as I thought it would only sustain timekeeping and ABC functions. This may be true in winter, but I think I may not need the charge cable until the days get short.

I also have a question: Has anybody used the ‘long’ GPS function? I wonder how useful it is to save power during hikes.

Sync to strava stopped working today. Anybody else with same problem? Says not linked but cant link it. Norhing happens when i pres link on website
Logging out of the app and logging in again worked for me. The runs that didn’t sync will be lost though. Its not an issue with strava, but with the app syncing with your account. Runs will still be visible on the watch, so I then entered the runs manually in strava so my total km’s were still correct.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Can we please move on from the marketing discussions? There are Rolex divers that have only been worn dinner tables.

I for one like it because this is a well built watch and I appreciate that kind of quality. And it has solar power. I’ve had it for over a month now and have not yet gotten the charge cable out of the box. I drained the battery to ‘low’ in the first week with heart rate always on. Ever since I switched that off the battery has been slowly charged and now, 3 weeks later, I am at 5 bars. I use the gps and heart rate for about 4 hours per week but always outside, so it gets a little sun while I cycle. Other than that I leave it in the window sil that will catch the first rays of sun in the morning and thats about as much as I actively do to solar charge it. I must say I’m really impressed with the solar ability of this watch, as I thought it would only sustain timekeeping and ABC functions. This may be true in winter, but I think I may not need the charge cable until the days get short.

I also have a question: Has anybody used the ‘long’ GPS function? I wonder how useful it is to save power during hikes.

Logging out of the app and logging in again worked for me. The runs that didn’t sync will be lost though. Its not an issue with strava, but with the app syncing with your account. Runs will still be visible on the watch, so I then entered the runs manually in strava so my total km’s were still correct.
Logged out and in again on the web and linked again. Worked good. Delete latest activity and sync again. Activity comes back and syncs to strava. Looks like there is a bug. All deleted activities comes back after sync. I cant delete a activity

·
Registered
6,223 Posts

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Despite quite high end leaning they do still pay attention to G-Shocks. Which is very nice of them.
This is true. Ariel Adams, in particular, is a big supporter of G-Shocks and Pro Treks, even though he also likes high end mechanical watches.

Unfortunately, many of ABTW's readers hate G-Shocks, as can be seen in the many negative comments to the G-Shock articles.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
This is true. Ariel Adams, in particular, is a big supporter of G-Shocks and Pro Treks, even though he also likes high end mechanical watches.

Unfortunately, many of ABTW's readers hate G-Shocks, as can be seen in the many negative comments to the G-Shock articles.
He has quite a broad and i would say educated approach to watch appreciation. Which is uncommon among some people and we all know what a dumpster fire it can create in the thread.
I dislike when people become so judgmental about some type and loose prospective of why things happen and whole history of watches.
Been both loving, objective and critical and as such been able to appreciate different aspects, discuss them is rather rare thing. Frankly i am still around G-Shock subforum for that exact reason. Other subforums often less open minded. Hope it all stays same here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone! I'm new here, have had a basic 5600 in my rotation for many years and recently bought the GBD-H1000.

Lots of interesting discussion here, I have a couple of replies and some of my own thoughts.

I do a lot of outdoor activities, mainly biking and hiking but also some running. I certainly looked at Garmin or Polar as options. I knew going in that by comparison the Casio would be rudimentary especially with a brand new app.

What sold me on it was the solar charging, good battery life, buttons instead of touchscreen and most important of all it looks awesome. I like knowing I have something that k can beat the hell out of in the backcountry. Other than the HR issue discussed below I've been really happy with it.

I've had this for a few weeks now, and run (with the watch) 2-3 times per week. After week 1, I've had a problem where the Heart rate measurement is horribly inaccurate.
I am finding the same, the HR when doing an activity is generally 10-20 beats too high and occasionally will record big spikes. During most of my activities it records 220 BPM max heart rate which is of course impossible.

Even just sitting around doing nothing it seems to be accurate but then bounce up and down for no reason. I have a Fitbit on my other wrist I can compare to.

I sent a message to Casio support but not holding my breath it's fixable.

I haven't tried that but I can report that I did a 12-hour ultra race on the weekend with full GPS and HR tracking. The day was sunny until around 2 PM when it clouded over. I ended the day with 3 bars on the battery. So the solar charging really is a thing.

Also worth noting that the guy who won the race in 9 hours had a Suunto and the battery died 3/4 of the way through. 😄

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello,
I've had this watch for about two weeks now. Apparently, my watch has problems with the Barometric Pressure Change Indicator, the arrow that is supposed to show the changes in air pressure. Since I have the watch, this arrow only shows a falling trend. In reality, however, the trend was already rising or constant. The measured values in the clock are correct, also the graphical trend is correct. Only the arrow is permanently wrong.
I have the assumption that there is a hardware or software error. Does this function work correctly with your watches?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello,
I've had this watch for about two weeks now. Apparently, my watch has problems with the Barometric Pressure Change Indicator, the arrow that is supposed to show the changes in air pressure. Since I have the watch, this arrow only shows a falling trend. In reality, however, the trend was already rising or constant. The measured values in the clock are correct, also the graphical trend is correct. Only the arrow is permanently wrong.
I have the assumption that there is a hardware or software error. Does this function work correctly with your watches?
same problem with mine. is there any way to restart the watch? i dont want to do a reset and loose all data from watch

·
Registered
45 Posts
@Dracer
I tried the reset all function in the watch settings but it doesn't corrected this error. This not even deleted the saved activities only the settings! I'm hoping a software update will make it work.

Reactions: Dracer

·
Registered
53 Posts
@Dracer
I tried the reset all function in the watch settings but it doesn't corrected this error. This not even deleted the saved activities only the settings! I'm hoping a software update will make it work.
thanks for the answer, if i delete a activity it comes back as soon as i sync the watch again. Casio have some bugs to fix with this watch

161 - 180 of 195 Posts