WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

321 - 340 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
Some time ago, I came across on one more Luch 3055 with a rare green dial. I have already repaired same Luch for comrade from Ukraine. But this time I myself became the owner of such 3055, because I managed to buy this instance. :)

This watch of the first revision and has some design features of the external design and mechanism.

Here are some photos after repair / restore. :geek:

Img_9840 +.jpg
IMG_9817.JPG
IMG_9897.JPG
IMG_9910.JPG
IMG_9918.JPG

·
Registered
749 Posts
Must admit to being curious to hear the answer, my few are normally kept with battery, stopped and 'switched on' once or twice a month, but would like to hear how more experienced people keep theirs

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
Odessa200,
I will try to answer your question simply. I have quite a lot watches in the collection. Therefore, I divided them into two groups. I keep the watches from the “favorite” group (there are not many of them and I wear them periodically) with batteries. The rest of the watches I store without batteries.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Re: Chaika & Raketa 3050.

watch22
I have long been am engaged in the repair of digital and analog electronic (quartz) watches. I can say that it is possible to repair almost any watch. Sometimes without replacement parts, sometimes you need to replace parts. In general, almost all the same as that in the repair of usual mechanical watches. Only is added an electronic unit, which can have its malfunctions. But nothing is impossible. :)
How do you go about repairing the broken pivots on the driven main gear shaft? Both my 3050 and 3056 big square's have flopping about gear from the stepper motor, both have nice pulsing steppers but the gear wheel isn't held in place against it due to the tiny pivots either end missing?

I also have a couple 3056A's non battery damaged but I can't seem to find out why or where its going wrong, nothing seems to get to the stepper on those two and wondered if you have any tips where to aim myself as I do like Slava quartz.

My sole working one is the awesome subbie-a-like big red star on the white dial with the white and red bezel insert, that is such a beauty and insanely accurate.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
Dodgydruid,
broken / damaged parts of the mechanism must be replaced with serviceable ones. I do not know any other way to bring the mechanism into working condition. ;)

As for 3056A, I did not quite understand your question. But, most likely, for your Slava it is necessary to carry out diagnostics.

As for the "big red star", the best way to show off is to display this watch here. :)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Luch 3055 of the first revision. Three variants of external design. Very beautiful watches (at least, it seems so to me). :) View attachment 15358154 View attachment 15358155 View attachment 15358156
I bought a basket of quartz with the selfsame style as your blue one there, looking forward to it as its a hybrid and a pretty uncommon movement type too.

The big squares will likely end up as parts pieces, I have no idea what is inside the Chaika pocket watches.

Am wearing my Slava 3050 tank tonite as I just love the brutal in yer face of its heavy everything, you can imagine a Gdansk ship builder having one of these old boilers and I am keen to buy a Sekonda branded version to match my Slava automatic tank and an incoming Sekonda automatic on the same case/bracelet.

Sadly "big red star" died the other nite, noticing a black goo on my wrist I saw this gunge coming out of the caseback lug channel, opening it up revealed a morass of black nastiness and despite being ultra careful, I think I broke the coil wire as the plastic end of the white bit was also gooey and liquified. On opening too was a strong ammonia sort of smell which wasn't there last week changing the battery so I suspect the battery spooged somewhere in there unbeknown to me and sat there destabilising the O ring and coil carrier.

I sat watching Ratfaced Git's video's on Youtube today addressing the 2356 "big red star" in full stripdown and assembly, its weird as mine is a 3056A, not a problem as that one will shine again and one of the standard Slava's I have has a 2356 in so not the end of the world to transplant the correct movement into big red.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
Dodgydruid,

All the watches that you showed and which you told about, can be returned to a full life. ;)
For Slava "big red star" movement 3056A is more native (initial). Version with 2356 appeared much later. Yes, most likely you damaged the coil during autopsy. But, of course, I would not change the mechanism entirely, but I would repair / restore the "native" one.
The black substantia is a native rubber gasket. On the "Slava" watches of those years, this is found almost everywhere.

A pair of my Slava 3050 in the version with a purple dial. :)
Img 168-1.jpg

Img 080.jpg

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Ooo what a pair of beauties you have there :)

I have planned this evening as daughter is out at work to pull out my little box of Soviet quartz donor's and see about transplanting the coil and at least now the big red star is cleaned with a better quality O ring in.

Just nabbed this old beastie for £6 running...

Only thing missing seems to be the battery brace, heck I could prob make one out of a piece of brass and some tinsnips.

So what I will do is tackle the ones that seem to be failed due to the circuit side of things, I know the white and green Poljot 3050 big square has a damaged driven wheel shaft but that has a beautiful working stepper on it, I am hoping the 3050 in the set of five has an undamaged shaft and I can then get that one back into working. The Poljot big square with the 56A seems to have a circuit issue and does need a total stripdown and clean as very grubby.

I do have a very nice silver based conductive paint/glue I use for repairing fine traces on electronics damaged by corrosion and I have for SMD work and many legs chips a ultra fine "crows foot" soldering tip which is bloody good at tiny soldering operations and have found before with electronics that something as a simple reflow can kick something back into life with some fresh solder.

Of the round Slava, I want to revive the petrol blue dialed one with the red markings as very nice looking dial and the bullseye pepsi which was partially stripped on arrival and have taken down to leaving the gear train in as the dial side is immaculate. Both those have their original "tank" bracelets in very good condition.

I have become quite enamoured of the Soviet quartz pieces, I rebuilt a Seiko A904 digital watch and it was quite boring in needing the zebra strips simply cleaning and a new polariser, compared to the Soviet's hard and tough movements it was just so meh, I also invested in some quality AG13's buying in 20 saving me having to bend the battery brace to take the AG12's I have here lol

What drew me to the 56A big square is it is the black and mint green colour scheme seen on black dialled 3133's.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
So the five turned up today...

Step forward 3050 Poljot is it? aka watch no 1 in the bundle.

Crystal is dirty, case a little pitted and tired but rodico'd the jewel, dropped a drop of the slippery stuff on the jewel, dab behind the ears on the stepper/driven gear and a dab behind the ears on the keyless and it is working perfectly with a fresh AG13 in there... holding very good time too, I paid £12 delivered for the lot.

The Luch hybrid has little bits of stuff all over the balance wheel so I suspect this one has been fiddled with, the case, dial etc are very good, will take some foto's when get the chance.

The 3056A big square like the above, the coil is missing so will dig that out off one of the scrappers.

Now the two Chaika pocket watches were different, same cases, dials etc the silver one has a movement like the Sekonda Remex from Hong Kong in the period they were scrabbling for quartz movements when the Soviet collapsed, the other is a Miyota 2035 which works and is all complete but has a battery contact issue, I have a tub full of 2035's and 2115 Miyota's I harvested from job lots but the brass Chaika will be fully functional soon.

What a result though on that 3050? I could transplant it into the very clean 3050 Poljot I got here with the knackered driven wheel but for now I am repairing the bracelet it will sit on and will up a foto of it all laters :)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Another pair of Chaika watches found a new life. :)

Typically, these watches are equipped with the 3056 movement. But inside of these instances is installed movement 3056A. This is a more rare variant of movement for this model's watches.
View attachment 15376237 View attachment 15376238 View attachment 15376239 View attachment 15376240
Wished my one looked so sweet hehe, after my success with its 3050 cousin this week, I have the Chaika on the deck as I go through the 3056A Slava's for a good coil.

I notice the second hand difference on mine to yours, strange as my Poljot all black with the mint lume has the box on a stick second hand with red paint fill.

Have found both the Slava tank quartz and the 3050 do not like being put face down, dunno why it did that but there is little lateral play on the driven wheel and I lubricate that bridge jewel/jewels as a matter of course.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #338 (Edited)
Dodgydruid,
I often have to work with watches in a similar condition. So, you didn't surprise me at all with this Chaika. :)
Img 003-2.jpg

Img 212-2.jpg

5743557151.jpg

Img 038 073 +.jpg

Your Chaika has a non-native second hand.

Yes, without proper and full maintenance, the 3050/3056 mechanisms can stop in some positions or stop just like that, for no apparent reason.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The transformations or before and after on them two is astonishing, better than factory fresh o_O

Are the squares stainless steel or chromed brass do you know as I want to polish the 3050 and if its chromed brass I can only really go at it with a mild metal polish but if SS I can give it a good go on the scotchbrites and then onto the polish soaps and cotton wheel, none of them seem to have pitting from mangunge.

321 - 340 of 340 Posts