WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,
I have been researching on WUS about Russian watches and I came across a lot of information.
However, the more I read the more I got confused.
Some members say, about %90 percent of the Russian watch brands are using Chinese components in most parts of their watches.
I am willing to buy a pure Russian watch.
Can anyone clarify this issue please.
Cheers,

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am new tu Russian watches as well. And I have learned a few things. It depends on what are you looking for, a new current release or vintages soviet era.

For new ones, go for Vostok (Boctok) from these dealers: Meranom, Chistopolcity.com - they primarily deal in Vostoks and get stocks directly from Chistopol factory. Off eBay there's a couple dealers, I highly recommend Zenitar and Gerolowo (there's a few others as well, primarily operating from Moscow or Ukraine)

For vintages, this will be a bit tricky because I read some Slava models and even some Vostoks can be constructed of mixed pieces off China or other countries. Over time you will learn to identify these. A good start will be to read the Articles section of this Russian forum and learn about the history and background of the famous Russian 1st and 2nd watch factory (the story of Poljot and their spin offs)

But later you will find out that it is not about finding 100% russian made is the issue, the main problem with many russian vintages is the practice of Franken work where pieces got mixed up - happens all the time over eBay - the most common being Amphibia parts used on Komandirskies and vice-versa

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Is there any genuine poljot watches?

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
The last decade has seen the almost total demise of the Russian watch industry. The list of victims is long: Molnija, Poljot, Zaria, Pobeda, Slava. Some of them still exists as derivative or original company. None of them is still existing as "complete process" factory.
This must be considered before making any consideration about the presence of Asian parts on Russian watches.

A notable example of that is Poljot. They started to partially outsource cases from outside Russia since the post-Soviet years, and relied on Asian products (cases, crystals, bracelets etc) since the late '90s, simply because it was too expensive to update the machinery to produce up-to-date designs. However they continued to produce the "core" of the watch (Poljot/Maktime movements) until few years ago.
But cases and other components were already partly HK/Chinese sourced, except some old designs still produced with old machinery.

Today, the only watches with Russian movement + Russian cases are the "classic" Vostok models with acrylic glass (Amphibia/Komandirskie), although the SE models have updated bezels and dials. Other series as Vostok Megapolis, K-34, Amfibia Scuba/Red Sea and similars have Asian-made cases. I think it's the same for Raketa, Volmax, Vostok-Europe, Moscow Classic (Raketa is noticeably the only Russian movement manufacturer left though, together with Vostok).

The only exceptions are Luch (that still produces some very cheap cases in Belarus in a partially state-owned economy), and some high-end Russian brands (Nika, Tsedro) that produce cases in precious metals.

China is the supplier of every parts of almost every watch until $500. We must live with that. People that does not realize that, is simply sleeping in the wonderland or lying. Neverthless i have a lot of Vostok-Europe, Moscow Classic, etc, i'm very glad with them.

BTW: of course i did not consider the countless Frankens/"stock parts" watches made with every type of component. And even with "legit" watch is not easy to understand something - today i don't know yet who's the producer of the brand-new Kirowa 3133 reissues currently sold on Ebay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts