WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,

I tried to apply some "heavy stuff" to the rusted areas (although I could not find Mr. Hatem suggestion, Kroil or Marvel Mystery Oil) with some doubtful results. I applied a rust remover with phosphoric acid; I applied gently first only for a few minutes and then left for a few hours (also tried the ultrasonic cleaner).

The rusted areas gained a black surface color from the reaction with the rust remover but I was unable to remove the screw and rust (or the reaction product) from the screw thread of the stem.

Do you believe that Kroil or Marvel Mystery Oil could perform better than this rust remover (so that I may try to order it from the United States)? I could also try some other rust remover from my hardware store... I also believe I should prepare for the worse... so, does anybody know where I may find another stem and crown for this Longines?

Thank you for your help and patience for reading this long report.

Best regards

Paulo

Attachments

·
Registered
721 Posts
Paulo,

I think you have done what you could with the rust remover. You could try again with a product you can find locally - I don't think the Kroil or Marvel mystery oil will do any better. Let me know the calibre of the watch - there should be a logo and number under the balance wheel on the mainplate. This will help us find a stem - should be no problem. I will think how to get you to the next level on the screw removal and post later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

From what I can see in the pictures that I took earlier, there is a number engraved on one of the bridges; it is 6952. Do you think this might be it? I could not see any number on the main plate but I'll check better when I get home tonight.

Once again, thank you for your help; I'm still a rookie at this, so I feel a bit lost...

Best regards

Paulo

Attachments

·
Registered
721 Posts
Paulo -

the 6952 is the calibre number. I believe you should be able to order this stem from any watch parts supplier. You need to have the the following information

Mfr - Longines
Calibre - 6952
Size - measure the diameter of the dial side plate across the center in mm's or lignes
Serial number (just in case)
The model name if possible - IE seamaster, etc...
A major credit card.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts