WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

hey guys, i don't know too much about how movement works or how rust can affect it, but i read in another thread about rust being bad news on a vintage longines and the buyer shouldn't have gone ahead

so...i'm interested in a universal geneve with the above movement, and noticed the slight rusting...is this something that could be problematic in the future?

for the sake of enlightenment, of both myself and those who will read this thread in future, where should i be looking for rusting or any signs of issue when the caseback is off?

thanks for any help guys

p.s. bought a vintage seamaster from someone on this forum! pics coming in a week or so when i receive it! love x

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
Generally oxidation of any type (black or brown) on a movement is a bad sign. It almost almost always indicates water intrusion. Often all the damage is not visible.

Sometimes the movement can be made fine even with it... but I generally avoid all oxidized movements unless there are mitigating factors (like rarity or amazingly low price or ...).

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Not sure that's rust...its not good, whatever it is though. The fact that it only seems to be on the one plate suggests that the plate is a replacement from a worse-off watch, and that someone attempted to clean the bejezzus of out it.

Note that most plates are made of a base metal like Brass, with a coating of nickle or silver. Those don't "rust" in that sense. The parts that would rust are things like the crown wheel (12:00 in your picture) and the retaining bracket. Water usually gets in either around the crystal or through the crown, so the keyless works is usually the part that rusts out first (and which you can't actually see without decasing the watch).

The plate could just have been damage by a careless watchmaker who didn't remove their fingerprints from the plate during a routine service. The acid from the fingerprint could have caused what you're seeing.

None of the screws look rusty, and the rotor itself looks clean. I'd buy it, but only for a discount.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I agree with trim, that looks like the plating's coming off. I just added a post in the watchmaking section about ultrasonics and plating. I had a movt recently that has had too many ultrasonic baths.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Hi -

Double-plus ungood. Rust is never, ever your friend.

That said, it may not be rust, but rather oil that has hardened into lacquer. It sort of looks like that bridge assembly may have been put down where watch oil had spilled and wasn't re-cleaned: if so, and if the watch hadn't been used much, it could dry out in that pattern.

In either case, not good...

JohnF

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Something about the uneven wear on the different plates and rotor tips me off that this watch is made from put-together parts from at least two watches. We sometimes call this a Frankenwatch.

I wouldn't buy it unless it was well under market price as that top bridge will need replacement eventually. The good news is that the rotor looks to be in very good condition. The rotors grinding against the caseback is a particular problem with the Universal microrotor movements. Always look for small circles on the caseback.

If they are present, walk away.

The subject watch looks like an "India Special" to me,
gatorcpa

·
Moderator Public Forum
21,929 Posts
I agree - the movement is likely a blend of parts from more than one movement. It looks more like someone wire brushed off corrosion. I would stay away no matter the price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts