WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. I am totally new to collecting vintage watches. I have recently come across "Royce" pocket watch, and I have been doing some research about the watch. But it has been totally fruitless. . . I saw comments like ' '"Royce" is not an important brand,' or 'it is high end of low end.' So I started to feel overwhelmed by the existence of a hieracy of watch brands.

I was wondering if anyone has detailed information as to where I can do more research about "Royce" or "S. & E. Kocher co." pocket watches online or otherwise. If you have any information about their pocket watches, I will appreciate your help. S. & E. Kocher has festablished "Eska" brand as well in 1918 or so, and I heard "Royce" was established in 30's and continued to 80's.

I found a couple of Eska wrist watches and a few Royce wrist watches but completely unable to find either brand's pocket watch online. . .

Thank you for your advise and help!!

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
A one line listing of just Swiss watchmakers will run several pages... When combined with the propensity of watch retailers to put their own name on watches you can get a whole lot of watches that came and went and left little behind except for some occasional examples that turn up.

If you can post some decent pictures of the movement, we can tell more. The insides of a watch often say a lot more than the outsides.

And welcome to our corner of the Internet! There are lots of folks here to help... we try to be nice and we don't bite :-d

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Here's a thread we had on Eska and Royce a while ago.

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=140106

To be honest, both brands are relatively obscure. The movement used might be from A Schild or one of the other ebauche makers. We might be able to tell you more with a pic of the movement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, Eeeb and Ray for your quick responses.

The watch used to be my grandfather's and I recently discovered in his drawer in Japan. I am attaching the pictures of the pocket watch in hopes of your advises!!

Attachments

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Looks like a fairly modern Swiss movement from the 1940s maybe. The case claims 15 jewels, the movement is 17. The case may be a reproduction of an older one. The movement is similar to a current ETA 6498-1.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for your information, Ray. My grandpa never worn them, at least in front of others in his older age. Maybe, he worn them when he was young. So it is now unknown to the family if the case was replaced or not. When I figured the other side of the face opens, I had to forcibly open that side because it was really tight like no one opened before. . . It seemed the other side was barely opened, so the interior was so shiny like a brand new.

Ray, like you said, the case says 15 Rubis and internal mechanism says 17 jewels, so it may be replaced at one point.

Thanks,

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
To add a little more, this movement is a real workhorse. It serves as the basis of pocket watches even today... and there are actually some large wrist watches that are derived from it. It wasn't a name brand but your grandfather still had a winner!

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Sorry, we avoid valuations. There is a note at the top of the page to this effect. But I think it safe to say you are not going to sell it and then be able to buy a new car with the proceeds!

... and I assure you, no one will value it with any sentimentality... except you!

Maybe your grandfather set it aside so you could find it?

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Another chance to show you my Royce I think.:-d

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eeeb, Thank you for your advise and my apologies for asking for the valuation. I should have read the instructions more carefully!!

My grandparent has passed away about 12 years ago, and we had so much of his possessions unopened till this summer. I did not realize he was somewhat stylish and hip having possessed a pocket watch like this one. I am pleasantly surprised to see the side of my grandfather that I did not see while he was with us.

Thank you for your advises again, and if there is any other information like websites/books I can do more research, I would greatly appreciate it. :-!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you, Eeeb, for sharing the wonderful information. Once again, I believe my grandfather was quite stylish for his age at the time!

Thank you also, Marrick, for sharing the pictures of your Royce wristwatch! It looks in a great condition and the deep blue colour stands out with the design!!

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,415 Posts
The ETA 6498 was originally the Unitas 6498 until that company was absorbed by the ETA. It is still frequently referred to as the Unitas 6498.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the new information about the pocket watch!! I was not quite sure what Unitas or ETA meant at first but after google-ing those, I totally got what you meant!! I was wondering what the mark, T in U, means because it sort of looks like a tongue sticking out.

I am amazed how knowledgeable many of you advisers here are!! I am greatly appreciative of your advises and amazed of how quickly new information coming in through this forum.

Thank you!!:):):)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts