WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been some talk here and there about fading of printed bezels and bands. I've seen this in a couple of threads so I figured, it's time to get a thread going to get this info organized and in one place.

Has anybody experienced fading of their printed bezels and bands... or ...have seen obvious fading of bezels and bands on auction sites or elsewhere? Ozzie had encountered no fading with his brazilian frogman in his many miles travelled and hours exposed to the sun, but somebody else (I'm too tired now to do a search so my apologies for not remembering) encountered a camo Python on an auction site with noticeable fading.

So....what's the deal with fading of bezels and bands? Any info to add? Any experiences?

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,552 Posts
Hi Tim,

although your question is a very good topic, I have no fading G-Shock's as far as I can remember. I have problems with white or very bright watchbands and darker colored cloth fabrics (not sure the correct words).

I has dark red sheets on my bed once. The color was adapted by a white G-Cool band and bezel and also on my yellow Raysman. I got the red color away with bleach (which I have in my laboroatory). It also worked for my G-Cool.

I have several red G-Shock's (the most difficult color to protect against discoloration). I got a bunch of red DW-6900H's in my window sill for a few weeks (just put them back in their boxes), but there is not a sign of discoloration there too.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
G-Shock Mod
13,910 Posts
if they are painted, then the WILL rub off with use (i guess that makes sense)

i won't worry about it too much cause a used G is a good G

you can always get spare/replacement bezel and bands so that you can always have a fresh set

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I've got a white Baby-G from a thrift store that's kind of turned a yucky orangish-yellowish-brown on a small spot of the bezel. It looks like the previous owner was a smoker.

I plan to turn it black so it won't look girly. Somebody posted a thread on how to do this before the big crash. How was it done? With clothing dye or something?

·
Registered
925 Posts
stockae92 said:
you can always get spare/replacement bezel and bands so that you can always have a fresh set
That's right! Except our dear friend Tim the Frogaholic is probably asking this because of his precious Brazilian... and I know spares for it is equally rare ;-)

A

·
0 Posts
The great thing about a G is the older and more faded/battered it gets the better it looks.:)

·
Registered
415 Posts
I just saw this post and this is how to dye a g shock bezel. The first thing that needs to be done is to remove the paint. Oh Yeah remove the part to be dyed from the watch first. I use an xacto knife to scrap it off. Then I just pick out the color of rit clothes dye I want. Get a pot of water boiling and add the dye to the water. I find a way to suspend the part with a piece of thread then dip the part into the mixture. Hold it in there for a few minutes and remove. Let it cool off and rinse it with water. After it dries put the part back on. For an example of the finished product see the image gallery and look at my black and blue g shock. It began life as a white g shock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts