WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have been keeping our watches in a watch winder on the dressing table. This has suited us fine but we are starting to squire more watches between us and are getting mindful of their value and their security. The obvious choice is a safe but without it being absolutely huge it excludes the watch winder. How do you guys keep yours?

·
DOXA Forum Moderator
5,729 Posts
My wife and I have been keeping our watches in a watch winder on the dressing table. This has suited us fine but we are starting to squire more watches between us and are getting mindful of their value and their security. The obvious choice is a safe but without it being absolutely huge it excludes the watch winder. How do you guys keep yours?
In a safe, without a watch winder. I see no reason to run a quick-set watch, when it's not on my wrist

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
In a safe, without a watch winder. I see no reason to run a quick-set watch, when it's not on my wrist
+1. I don't ever us a winder.

cheers.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do like the winder, it makes watch changes so easy. I know it's not a lot of effort but when I fancy a watch change in the morning just before I dash out it going to be a quartz that gets picked up. Looks like I might have to plan ahead, no fun it that!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I have a safe mostly for watches. I have some lower end watches on winders but for the most part the watches are in the safe.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Rolex is essentially worn every day. Remainder are in safety deposit box. All are insured. I don't worry about winding.

Mike.

·
DOXA Forum Moderator
5,729 Posts
I do like the winder, it makes watch changes so easy. I know it's not a lot of effort but when I fancy a watch change in the morning just before I dash out it going to be a quartz that gets picked up. Looks like I might have to plan ahead, no fun it that!
You might not need to plan ahead as much as you think. It takes less than one minute to set the date, set the time, and give the watch 20 full winding turns of the crown.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Looks like I might have to plan ahead, no fun it that!
Not so difficult: each Sunday I pull 3,4,5 watches out of the safe, wind and set each one and put them on my desk. Then one gets worn each day, and I give the unworn ones a bit of a wind when I get home each night. That way, they're ready to go. Then Sat morning I put them back in the safe and pull out a beater for the weekend. It doesn't really feel like a chore, it's kinda fun deciding what's to be worn next week.
I just pulled out a few Seikos for next week.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I know I'm just lazy, that's the trouble of just owning one watch for most of your life. I think we will invest in a decent safe, the more I think of it the more we have to put in it

·
Registered
5,873 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Just a heads up, buy a real safe that is heavy. No need to make it easy for a crook to run off with all your stuff conveniently bundled into a strong box with a handle...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts