WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's some other posts floating out there, but with the advent of venmo, expanded business tools on paypal, zelle etc. Wanted to seek some current, real-time opinions...
What are some safe ways to execute a trade to protect the investments on both ends? Its well published that trades happen where Party A never fulfills their part of the bargain, for which provisions on Paypal don't insure or cover.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
trust the person with whom you're dealing. I've done a trade with watch + money before. went smoothly, so unlike some here, I won't say it's not possible here. it's all about trust.

If you don't have that and want something more certain, perhaps you and the person with whom you're trading can find a mutually agreeable escrow service.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can you use one of those escrow sites maybe?? Not sure. Or just make sure they are well reviewed on here or a similar site.

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
Trust. And don't trade anything you can't afford to lose.

I've done a couple trades here through f29, but not on big money items. Would have been a bummer to be out a $200 watch, but not the end of the world for me, financially. And in the end, the trust was as well placed as the other guy's reputation indicated.

·
Registered
Just one more TX Timex Enabler Club - Broths Hams n Subs
11,598 Posts
Send them both to me?
Perfect example of what to avoid! New member with low post count! SKIP!
nothing personal

Trading is complicated unless it’s in person.
Nothing complicated about it. I've done multiple trades with WUS members.

1st of all, trade with well established members. I always start communication via PM on mobile phone and exchange more questions, etc.
you can tell a lot by a person in just the manner they respond to email / text.

if anything sounds to vague or fishy. Just skip!

At the end of it. yes it is always a matter of trust.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,341 Posts
The safest way to execute a trade is to deal with someone you know and trust. The next safest way is to meet in person. And even that carries the risk of deception.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
One option would be to mutually pick a forum member with a high posting and good feedback and ask them to be the escrow holder.

I would jocularly refer a well known forum member but for a fear of WoT. Multiples.

Seriously, perhaps a forum mod?

·
Registered
842 Posts
I just form a line of communication with the other person to get a sense as to who they are; how they respond, their tone etc. and just trust my gut. So for me it's trusting myself as much as the other person, if that makes any sense ? I've been a lawyer for 35 years and that has not made me distrust people at all - although I've seen some pretty weird things - but it has honed my radar as to trustworthiness. Hope this helps a little ?

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
One party finds an acquaintance in the other party's area and asks a favor for the acquaintance to be a middleman. Alternatively, you could replace the acquaintance with a watchmaker if one side of the deal is due for a service, but that might get complicated.
I've thought about each party paying the other through PayPal and then you have buyer/seller protections, but with all the fees being tacked on these days, the 8%+ might be cumbersome.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I traded a few times, no issues at all.
Just make sure that you check the other person sales/trades feedback, also check his/her postings (You get a feeling of how he/she respond, attitude, etc).
If you can, talk with the other person directly over the phone as the conversation will help to get a mental image of the person and get the right "gut" feeling; however, you will never be 100% comfortable until everything is done.

I wouldn't recommend trading an expensive watch over emails or even after a phone call ... I would do it in person.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Buy the seller/ trader. I have done just one trade with a WUS stablished member - I wouldn't do it otherwise -, and it went pretty smooth.

Given this, I am afraid I will not do a trade again since it is almost impossible to find the perfect match and I learned long time ago not to compromise. So, I always suggest to sell and buy exactly what you love -Sales forum is quite liquid, and you can normally sale and buy to balance the depreciation of the sale with the discount of the purchase -.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
The ONLY way to execute a safe trade is walk into a Brick and Mortar AD and Trade your Cash for a Watch !

·
Registered
291 Posts
I’ve done several trades on WUS, some high value, with great success. I’m not out to take anything from anyone and want whomever I trade with to be happy with their new watch. I don’t hesitate to give anything requested to set the other trader at ease and expect the same. I have given my LinkedIn profile, my phone number, references, shipped to my home rather than my business, used trade intermediaries, whatever the other trader required and have never had an issue.

I do as much background checking as possible of the other trader and assume they are doing the same. That being said, I would be very hesitant to trade with someone brand new or with zero posts outside of a WTT request. As big as this forum is I would think a person would make a few successful purchases prior to trying to trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
One option would be to mutually pick a forum member with a high posting and good feedback and ask them to be the escrow holder.

I would jocularly refer a well known forum member but for a fear of WoT. Multiples.

Seriously, perhaps a forum mod?
An opportunity to be complicit in what could always be a problematic internet swap? I can see the mods lining up for this responsibility.

I collect and sell vintage briar tobacco pipes, and on forums similar with wristwatches, sales and trades occur often. I was explaining this to my local Postmaster , who is also my neighbor. His comment: "you send your $xx value piece to someone you've never met and only know from the internet, and in turn you expect them to send you their trade item? Good luck."

Do you homework on the other guy and hope for the best. One of my most treasured watches (Longines HC) was acquired thru a successful trade here, with a Candian forum member, to further complicate things. (suggested earlier - simply buy each others piece)

Reactions: BOND007

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have done several trades since I started here. I look for someone with a lot of posts and feedback here first. If i get a trade offer from someone new or even newish i will ask them to ship first. I have done a couple of trades this way. We each get the watch we want and i give them positive feedback so it's a win for both of us. Maybe I've been lucky but so far I have only had positive experiences

1 - 20 of 21 Posts