WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a couple of questions I was wondering about when it comes to sales forums and selling watches online. I was hoping those with experience buying or selling in forums here or any of the other big forums can elaborate with answers. Forgive my ignorance if need be...

One- Why do ads state that they were bought at an AD but then not tell you what AD it was or have the AD name blacked out? How is this helpful?

Two- Why is it email me for pics? Why not just post the best (and as many) pics as you can on the listing? Wouldn't this make things easier?

Three- Why do pics almost always black out the XXXX/2500, ie, the # of watch on a limited edition or production total? How is this helpful either? What difference does it make if it is 1842 or 1117, or 0029 or 2458? I am struggling to understand this.

I am sure I have a few other questions, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I would add (almost), why not accept PayPal instead of wire/bank transfer only? Doesn't the slight added security benefit of PayPal (a tracked transaction) help the few % that can be worked out in a deal? Isn't a wire pretty much a blind shooting of money in most cases?

Thanks for any help on these puzzling (to me) issues...

·
Registered
899 Posts
One- Why do ads state that they were bought at an AD but then not tell you what AD it was or have the AD name blacked out? How is this helpful?
One reason the AD name is blacked out may be because the seller doesn't want scammers using the pic when selling fake watches - as proof that the watch was bought at an AD. Or the seller is selling a fake watch, so doesn't want to reveal a fake AD?

Two- Why is it email me for pics? Why not just post the best (and as many) pics as you can on the listing? Wouldn't this make things easier?
I agree. I won't even bother replying to posts that require an email or PM just to see pics.

Three- Why do pics almost always black out the XXXX/2500, ie, the # of watch on a limited edition or production total? How is this helpful either? What difference does it make if it is 1842 or 1117, or 0029 or 2458? I am struggling to understand this.
This might reveal too much info about the watch(and the seller), particularly if combine with the info about the AD.

I would add (almost), why not accept PayPal instead of wire/bank transfer only?
If buying from a forum, I would ONLY use Paypal. There's no way I'd blindly put money into a strangers account, even if they have good references.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I always assume the seller was too lazy to take pics right away. Most likely, they don't know how (or too lazy) to upload pics to a hosting site in order to display them in their ad.
I would add (almost), why not accept PayPal instead of wire/bank transfer only?
Likely they are not familiar with (or know about) PayPal. Or they don't want to pay the fees PayPal charges to accept money.

Both of these peeves reminds me of a for sale ad here on WUS where someone was asking >$20,000 for a watch (forgot what brand)...two sentence description. No pics. Wire transfer only (to some Asian country, forgot where exactly). To top it off, they just signed up and had only 1 post which was the ad they put up. They got to be kidding.:roll:

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Is NAME of the AD very important? Just curious. I am also thinking that IF it is a recently bought watch, maybe AD gave him VERY good deal and he is trying to flip it for some money? I do not know.

I agree. I try to put as much pics as possible. I DO ask to send me an e-mail for either - unique shot that you wish to see AND/OR FULL resolution pic as Photo bucket limits my shot to 1024x768.

I do not know about limited editions, but for something like Omegas, I would hide my serial # because I do not want my serial # used to represent a fake watch.

I would add (almost), why not accept PayPal instead of wire/bank transfer only? Doesn't the slight added security benefit of PayPal (a tracked transaction) help the few % that can be worked out in a deal? Isn't a wire pretty much a blind shooting of money in most cases?
I would NOT receive paypal CC payment unless the buyer has SOLID reference. IF the buyer receives my watch and initiates charge back through is CC, there is VERY little I can do. Worse would be that buyer will get my watch, initiate a chargeback, then return a fake watch. :-|

That would be the scenario that most people tries to avoid by telling you that they will NOT accept paypal.

Some people had also bad incident buying through paypal. Paypal does NOT guarantee ANYTHING unless you bought via ebay. So, if you send me a paypal payment NOT by your CC, and I send you a rock, for instance, in case of dispute, all I have to show paypal is that I sent you a package and you signed for receiving it. Because, after that is all a hearsay, I will tell paypal that I sent the item that you bought and you will say I did not send you the item. Who is to blame? In this case, paypal will say "buyer beaware" and close the case in my favor.

Those people who had bad experience buying through paypal would also tend to refuse to deal with paypal all together.

·
Registered
761 Posts
1. Purchasing from an AD shows that the watch is genuine. Blanking out the name as well as the serial number on watch can be for privacy purposes and also to prevent others from using the pictures to sell a fake as genuine.

2. Cant answer that one really, some people simply prefer it. And if its a high dollar watch, and you are really interested, then send an email or pm. It takes 10 seconds.

3. Answered above.

4. The paypal issue was covered by hpark21, and thats the reason I think many refuse to use paypal. You send me money, I send you watch, you claim it's fake/broken/etc., claim chargeback, I'm out a watch and the money.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I kinda think two ways on posting pics:

1- It keeps the tire kickers away because they won't go the extra mile to wait for an email for pics, but then again if there are no pics I wont respond unless it's a really great deal.

My pet peeve "bump"ing?!?! WTF there should be a 2 bump and drop rule. If you bump more than twice you need to drop the price, come on dudes there are some posts with 3-4 pages of bumps with a five dollar price drop!!! If there are no nibbles after 2 bumps face it no one is that interested or your price is wrong!! I'v seen some pieces that are priced higher than what I've paid for the same watch new?!?!?:-s:-s:-s

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I don't like to give paypal money. But if you want to that's fine with me. It's not that difficult to check references. And for a higher priced watch the paypal fee can be over $1000.00. And bumping an ad saves time and trouble of reposting. And it can still be edited to show a lower price. And you don't know what kind of response the ad has received. There may be many responses but no sale yet. That would tell me that the price is OK.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
1. I don't care where the watch was purchased as long as its a legit watch.

2. The e-mail me for pics is kinda irritating and I have never responded to a sale like that. It would have to be something I can't find anywhere and am desperate for to get me to respond to it.

3. As far as Xing out the serial #'s-- I could easily see the reasoning behind this and the info could be obtained thru PM if truely interested in the piece.

4. As far as PP, I prefer to use it as a buyer-- makes it easier. I do not have my account hooked to it as I have heard and seen too many things go wrong from working in a bank. I will use a CC and let the person know ahead of time that I do and if its ok. I don't mind paying the extra fees if need be-- and have. Its for my protection. I have never claimed that I didn't get any of my items. So far, every transaction has been super! Even though I am honest, I suppose there are quite a few who are not that will ruin a good thing for the rest of us :-(

My peeve: When they say not to inquire by PM and by e-mail only. I will PM anyways if I am very interested and let them know why I don't e-mail. If it gets ignored, oh well.. but so far they never have. A sale is a sale. Take interest where you can get it. :roll:

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
My pet peeve is getting a definite " I will take and send paypal shortly." Then they disappear. WTF? :-s Why in the world would you bother to respond to me with a definite intent to purchase and then I never hear from you again? Personally, I can't imagine doing this without at least saying "Whoops, I can't do it right now, sorry."

·
Registered
172 Posts
My pet peeve "bump"ing?!?! WTF there should be a 2 bump and drop rule. If you bump more than twice you need to drop the price, come on dudes there are some posts with 3-4 pages of bumps with a five dollar price drop!!! If there are no nibbles after 2 bumps face it no one is that interested or your price is wrong!! I'v seen some pieces that are priced higher than what I've paid for the same watch new?!?!?:-s:-s:-s
I agree. To bump an bunch of times without lowering the price doesn't make sense. A watch will sell within hours if it's a little bit of a deal and will sell withing a few days if it's priced right....IMO.

·
Registered
216 Posts
how about when you sell your watch at a high discount only to find out the same person that bought your watch turns around and tries to sell it alot higher and the kicker, he uses your own pics, one including a shot of your own wrist wearing the watch. I hope the watch doesn't sell needless to say

·
Registered
172 Posts
how about when you sell your watch at a high discount only to find out the same person that bought your watch turns around and tries to sell it alot higher and the kicker, he uses your own pics, one including a shot of your own wrist wearing the watch. I hope the watch doesn't sell needless to say
I don't really have a problem with that. If he's smart enough to make some money, good for him.

As long as he doesn't lie to you, tell you the watch is for his dying father, or his grail. Using your pictures is weak though.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I agree. I have gotten what I consider to be a great deal and could easily make money on a flip, but that is not the reason I bought the watch. I don't buy a watch to make a buck.
Here's another kicker to a situation like this: I saw a watch listed one time that the seller said he got from another member a couple years ago. Looking through his posting history it was MUCH before that. I PMed and questioned it and got a BS answer. I REALLY wanted the watch, but steered clear of the sale. Lie about when you aquired the piece and that leaves the door open to other potential issues in the future. <|

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
I see you've met GlennSim :-d

50 bumps on 3 $10 watches. DROP THE PRICE GLENN!!:-d

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I like folks that post "WTB's" for NATO straps or 50$ G's...
Go large and buy NEW ppl!

·
Registered
216 Posts
well I am not that pissed, but the fact that he low balled me and bought the watch around 65% off the retail then tried to flip it for $25 more than my asking price and $85 more than he paid for it from me. I sold it on the lowball bid cause i never wore the watch and quite frankly not worth retail or what I paid for it.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I guess I can see where you're coming from but more particularly if you were selling a watch because you're under pressure and need the wedge and go lower than you'd like.

Otherwise, don't sell at a price that you're not happy with - if you didn't want the watch anyway leave it go; not worth you getting hacked off about the fact that someone else got 20 bucks more for it; you might as well get annoyed about someone selling a different watch, same model for more the week after you sold yours.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I think your entitled to some sort of usage fees because he did not get a signed release to use your arm in those photos!?!?:-!:-!:-!

·
Registered
899 Posts
I can understand the constant bumping.

Sales threads fall down to the bottom of the page fast, so only a fraction of WUS get to see it before it disappears.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Here's another peeve... when a sale doesn't get listed as SOLD and still appears to be available when it really isn't :-(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts