WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all :-!

I have a SMP GMT (the great white) i know that the water resistance is 300m. Has or dose anyone use their in the sea, diving or swimming etc and if so do you leave it on the s/s bracelet? and what kind of toll dose it have on the watch and the bracelet after long exposures to salt water?

Many Thanks

Kyle

·
Registered
5,448 Posts

I have a SMP GMT (the great white) i know that the water resistance is 300m. Has or dose anyone use their in the sea, diving or swimming etc and if so do you leave it on the s/s bracelet? and what kind of toll dose it have on the watch and the bracelet after long exposures to salt water?

Many Thanks

Kyle
A good friend of mine dives regularly with a quartz SMP, on a bracelet, so you should be OK. If you wash the watch with clean, fresh water after exposure to salt water, it will help keep the stainless steel fresh.:)

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Oh No!!!

Many Thanks

Kyle
Was it put in SALT WATER??? Not the dreaded salt water!!! It will destroy that watch. Everyone knows that the watch is only waterproof
in FRESH water. Salt will destoy that stainless steel watch.
Better send it to Bienne now.
jim

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Re: Oh No!!!

Was it put in SALT WATER??? Not the dreaded salt water!!! It will destroy that watch. Everyone knows that the watch is only waterproof
in FRESH water. Salt will destoy that stainless steel watch.
Better send it to Bienne now.
jim
C'mon Jim, put a smilie on that post or something. You probably gave the poor guy an AMI. :-d

·
Banned
4,738 Posts

C'mon Jim, put a smilie on that post or something. You probably gave the poor guy an AMI. :-d
Try to never use them Bob. I'll make an exception for you.
:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
This is a little known secret ....

check the back of the watch see that funky seamonster (hippocampus)? Now look at the dial .... does it say SEAMASTER? Guess what .... you are good to go. :-! - David

·
Banned
2,913 Posts

Dude, you must be new in these here parts. Everybody that has even but briefly visited here knows that only a Rolex can stand that environment.................David

·
Registered
963 Posts
Seawater is what they were designed for, including the bracelet..

Those who put rubber straps on are only doing it for the "look".

You should always rinse off your watch (even a Rolex) after immersion in saltwater because, as the water evaporates it leaves a salt film that is abrasive.

I don't have the GMT, (I wish I did) but I do have the SMP Electric Blue, essentially the same watch, and I have worn it many times diving and snorkeling.......no issues.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I take my SMP chrono down a lot. Immediately after getting out of the water a fresh water rinse will help a lot. A WARM fresh water rinse is much better. But if all you have is cold water at the point of entry then rinse there and when you get home a warm fresh rinse and soak will get rid of any lingering salt (nooks and crannies) and prevent any corrsoion from forming. Yes, I know it's 316L stainless. But even stainless will corrode. It just "stains less". It's not stain proof.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
I have to admit that I usually forget to wash mine off after kayaking in the sea. I haven't noticed any changes yet.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have to admit that I usually forget to wash mine off after kayaking in the sea. I haven't noticed any changes yet.
You probably won't, if ever. Just depends on usage. The weak link in this would be the seals then the steel. The warm water rinse helps dissolve any salt crystals that may have formed causing a seal failure or even a sticky bracelet. This is something a lot of divers forget about. Then they have to get their rigs overhauled because their environmentally sealed first stage is locked up from salt crystals.

It's a precaution thing, ounce of prevention and all that. I spend a lot of money on these things, an extra two minutes to rinse well and ensure problem free operation is not too much to ask of myself.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

I agree David that watch is toast. He better sell it to one of us before the rust sets in. I'd be willing to offer him $10.00 bucks for it right now. In a couple of days it won't be worth a dime.
Dude, you must be new in these here parts. Everybody that has even but briefly visited here knows that only a Rolex can stand that environment.................David

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Those who put rubber straps on are only doing it for the "look".
M'mmmm :think: the whole watch industry and divers must have it wrong then???
-Look, schmook... :) A qualified guess is that seawater would degrade a rubber strap a lot faster than a bracelet.

However, the rubber strap is a lot easier on both your suit and your skin while submerged - a major plus.

As with most things, I guess it comes down to personal preference - I'd rather wear my PO on a rubber strap while diving, on a bracelet when on dry land. However, I'd be too lazy to keep switching between the two, so I guess I'd be diving w/a bracelet. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hi thanks for all your reply.

I will rinse my watch when ever i wear it in water.:thanks

How often do you all get your seals replaced,
Do you do it every year like it is advised?

so will a omega made with the 316L grade stainless steel have more of a problem than a rolex made from 904L grade stainless steel with the salt water?

Many Thanks

Kyle

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

so will a omega made with the 316L grade stainless steel have more of a problem than a rolex made from 904L grade stainless steel with the salt water?
Many Thanks

Kyle
Do you do it every year like it is advised? I the recommendation is to have the watch pressure tested once a year.

so will a omega made with the 316L grade stainless steel have more of a problem than a rolex made from 904L grade stainless steel with the salt water? No

·
Registered
288 Posts

Many Thanks

Kyle
Absolutely not. The only real difference is that 904L is highly resistant to warm high chloride environments. 904L was intially developed to withstand mid-con sulfuric acid. But even so, it's only slightly better than 316L. It falls in between 316L (and 317L) and the Super Austenitic steels in that regards. But a high nitric acid bath will attack the 904 before the 316L because of 904's high molybdenum content. 316L won't stand up to sulfuric as well. Also, eventhough 316L is Marine grade it will show slight surface corrosion in WARM sea water(>120F). But a light polish and your chrome oxide layer will come right back. So just rinse well and enjoy.

In my opinion Rolex just uses the 904L as more of a "show" type of thing. It's not THAT much better than 316L but costs way more. If they were really concerned about all the things that they say they use 904 for then they would've upgraded to the super austenitic steels rather than settle for 904. I guess it's more of a marketing thing....to me at least

1 - 18 of 18 Posts