WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife bought this watch at a car-boot sale. I've googled but couldn't really find anything on Salvos watches. There was one on eBay, which sold for a couple of quid.I've taken it apart and serviced it - here is the link to all the photos, I will post some in this thread as well - Service: Salvos Star Pocket Watch | Watch GuyThe watch is entirely jewel-free ... Any help in shedding some light on the manufacturer and the time it was made would be appreciated. Thanks IMG_6115-smaller.JPG IMG_6119-smaller.JPG IMG_6128-smaller.JPG

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,421 Posts
That's an interesting looking watch - especially the point of origin on the bottom part of the dial!! I am not sure who made the movement but it's obviously a cheap but rugged Roskopf style pin lever. Another attempt at a "dollar watch", by the looks of it.....

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
738 Posts
wild guess but maybe german or east germany because the dial is marked Foreign?

·
Banned
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking further East - the inside looks to me like one of those early Chinese kerosene lamps ;-)

Not sure if the Germans would produce something like that ... Also, I think they would have marked it in some way.

All just wild guesses, of course!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I have one two Salvos Star watches.
The first one is like the one in your picture. I have the original box and Guarantee.
It was originally sold for five shillings and it was distributed from their business address, Salvos Manufacturing Company Ltd, 42 Duke Street London EC3.
Mine is bought in York in March 30th 1936, but I dont know where they were they made as the paperwork and box just have foreign printed on them.
I hope that helps you on the way to finding out more.
The second one I have is slightly newer and has no hand set button on the side.

·
Banned
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,
I have one two Salvos Star watches.
The first one is like the one in your picture. I have the original box and Guarantee.
It was originally sold for five shillings and it was distributed from their business address, Salvos Manufacturing Company Ltd, 42 Duke Street London EC3.
Mine is bought in York in March 30th 1936, but I dont know where they were they made as the paperwork and box just have foreign printed on them.
I hope that helps you on the way to finding out more.
The second one I have is slightly newer and has no hand set button on the side.
Thanks for that! At least I now know where it's made and around what time.

Cheers,

Christian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts