WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just got my my hand on this NOS Sandoz watch.

This is still 70's swiss made Sandoz. Anybody knows more about it? Movement is not signed, but it seems this this still Swiss made original.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
And yet the dial says 'Swiss made'.:think:

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
It's a mish mash company of Swiss and Asian. It may well be NOS movements made their way into new encasements...

That doesn't stop this from being a beautiful piece...

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't see why this shouldn't be a genuine NOS Sandoz from the 70'ies. "Swiss Made" only became a legally protected thing in 1971, and even then it allowed for parts of a watch to be manufactured outside of Switzerland. For the movement, e.g. only 50% of the material costs needed to be swiss, but assembly costs didn't matter, for all I know.
I just can't imagine someone faking or frankenizing a 70'ies Sandoz.

Look at this Nivada (it might be pre-70'ies, but it is definetely not a Franken):

It says "Swiss Made" too, but has the same movement.

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
I don't see why this shouldn't be a genuine NOS Sandoz from the 70'ies. "Swiss Made" only became a legally protected thing in 1971, and even then it allowed for parts of a watch to be manufactured outside of Switzerland. For the movement, e.g. only 50% of the material costs needed to be swiss, but assembly costs didn't matter, for all I know.
I just can't imagine someone faking or frankenizing a 70'ies Sandoz.
It happens.

These off brand Swiss NOS watches often sell for several hundred dollars... far less than the cost of production.

I have noticed that it is not normally done under the name of an active Swiss company. Probably because civil action is the main deterrent to this activity.

Several years ago I found one where the maker never changed the serial number. Indeed, I even found the same number used on an entirely different "vintage NOS" watch. What an amazing coincidence :-d

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Be careful of thinking that an off brand will not be faked. Some watches were regional marketing heavyweights. I have acquired a few Technos watches they would be considered off brand in the US but were very popular in Asia (particularly Japan) and South America (particularly Brazil). Sandoz, Favre Leuba, and West End are brands that come to mind as regional brands in Asia.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts