WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched the F11 forum, and found only one hit for this watch - a short post from 2012 with a photo that has disappeared from the hosting site. So I decided to start a new thread about this new arrival. I have been slowly trying to build a small diver watch collection by focusing on models that are not so run-of-the-mill, and the Sandoz Typhoon fits this category for me.

As many of you know, there were a series of specialized dive watches produced in the 1960s by brands including Doxa, Jenny, Squale, Certina, Technos, Titus and others. It was an experimental time for dive watches, and there were interesting and innovative case designs with ratings to 500 or 1000 meters. Colorful dials were also common. The Sandoz Typhoon fits into this general category, and it seems to me that they don't show up as often as some of their competitors.

I have seen four different dial variants (orange, light gray, dark gray, and yellow) and a few subtle variations of the hands. Here is an ad that I found on the catawiki site (B&W unfortunately). It's the day-date version, so there are some small differences.

typhoon_ad.jpg

I have rarely seen these watches on eBay, and then last week three of them showed up almost simultaneously. None were perfect, having issues either with dial damage or case over-polishing, but I decided on the one I liked the best and ultimately won the auction. The main condition issue involves damage to the lume plots (especially at 9 o'clock), and the watch is definitely well-used. The case is a little beat up, but still sharp, all the pieces are there, and it runs well. Inside is a workmanlike FHF 90-5 movement, which is automatic with quick-set date (bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: FHF 90-5).

It is hard to take good photos of the dial because of the "super-dome" crystal, which creates a lot of distortion and reflections. The condition of the crystal is quite good, which was another positive for me about this watch, since they are not easy to find. There is a screw on the case-back, which must be removed in order to remove the stem. For some reason, you will sometimes read that this screw is related to a helium-release valve, which seems to be incorrect. I really like the look of the stainless bezel (40mm diameter) and the interesting angled asymmetric case with integral crown guards (~42.3mm including the crown guards). It is currently on a modern "Tropic-style" rubber strap, but I may try it out on an orange strap. I also have a JB Champion BoR bracelet with 19mm straight end-links that could be an interesting option as well. Here are some photos:

sandoz1.jpg
sandoz2.jpg
sandoz3.jpg
sandoz4.jpg
sandoz5.jpg

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
What an interesting watch. That crystal is fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Dan S

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
congrats on a nice rare and solid diver, the fhf movement is way better than the eta 2472. As I said patience always pays off

Reactions: Dan S
1 - 5 of 5 Posts