WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always admired watches, but starting to get more serious.

My late grandfather was given a Sanford 17 jewel pocket watch. I cannot find much info on the company or the watch. I have to assume from listings on Ebay, that the watch is not very valuable. None the less it's fun to have a handwind pocket watch to look at.

Anyone know anything about the Sanford brand, how to service them, disassemble, etc.?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I'm old enough that my first suggestion is that you find a watch brand name "Son" to pair with it. But not sure how many people will get that joke anymore...

Anyway, it's tricky to nail down a minor brand like that, especially without pictures to give us some idea of the era it was made. 17 jewels tells us its a pretty typical manual wind pocket watch, and little else. There was a "Sanford" brand registered to "Albert Luthey SA" in 1942: Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index

There are a number of other trademarks registered to either him or his company, none of which ring any significant bells to me. Odds are he operated in a fairly narrow market somewhere. The watch itself, thus, would likely be a fairly generic Swiss pocket watch (probably a Unitas or ETA). Such watches aren't all that valuable to sell, but are a fabulous value in terms of being good quality, reliable watches that can be repaired and serviced easily, and make great heirlooms.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$_57.JPG
Here is a pic of a similar watch. I can take pics of mine later. I think it is mid-70's with would make sense given the inscription. It's in a gold case. Honestly what I'd love to do is take the movement out and transfer to a silver/brushed stainless case. Not sure if that is even feasible.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I am inclined to think the same thing. Right now it's running on my desk and has a nice quiet tick that is very calming. I think I'll invest my time and money in other watches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts