WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Also got my Pilot M yesterday!
It's the second Pilot from Archimede I have - the first was the 42mm model, with thin hands and standard crown. Sold it to buy this one, much better in size for me and I also prefer this new crown and larger hands.
Adjusted by official time here in Portugal, it's now with +5 sec.
I'm also looking for a different strap. The one that came now is a lot better than in the one in the first model but still not to my taste. A brown Hirsch Liberty was my choice but it's too long for my small wrist...

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also got my Pilot M yesterday!
It's the second Pilot from Archimede I have - the first was the 42mm model, with thin hands and standard crown. Sold it to buy this one, much better in size for me and I also prefer this new crown and larger hands.
Adjusted by official time here in Portugal, it's now with +5 sec.
I'm also looking for a different strap. The one that came now is a lot better than in the one in the first model but still not to my taste. A brown Hirsch Liberty was my choice but it's too long for my small wrist...
I need a smaller strap also, the one that came with it is on the last hole and it is still to big.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I often wear my 42mm with a black sharkskin from Don Ginsler:

He actually produces a variety of straps in Short lengths (I have a small wrist, too), and they are at good prices and excellent quality. Just Google for Don Ginsler and have a look. I have 4 or 5 of his sharkskin straps, and this brown leather on my Omega Dynamic:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot for the info... His website has a bunch of options that are in my budget. I think I may copy cat you with the black sharkskin. I like the carbon look also.
I was hoping to get a smaller deployant (like the sport or butterfly) than what is sold on his site. Do you have any experience with buying those from another site?

S

·
0 Posts
Weolcome to the AFOC>>>>>>

Welcome to the Archimede Flieger Owners Club ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is this watch supposed to feel like when you wind it manually? From a dead stop I tried to give the crown a few turns and it didn't really do anything. I am not sure what it is doing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
There should be a slight resistance - you feel it more than you hear it. After a few turns, it should start moving. The 2824 is pretty efficient - you don't need to put a lot of power into it to start it. Make sure that its pushed in all the way - position '0' so to speak. You don't have to pull the crown out to wind it; its not a screw-down. If you have it out to position '1', thats the quick-set date, and it doesn't feel like much.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Brugo, what size is your wrist?

Guys, I have a 6.75 wrist, and i'm stuck between the 39mm and the 42mm... i would like to swing for the 42, but i'm afraid that the big dial might look a bit too strange (i currently have a 46mm sawtooth, but the dial is only 30mm across). For those of you with 42mm, what's your wrist size?

Thanks!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Echizen, my wrist is just 6.30 (or 160mm)... Don't forget that the dial is almost all you see, the bezel is very thin, this makes the watch to look bigger.

Guys, I have a 6.75 wrist, and i'm stuck between the 39mm and the 42mm... i would like to swing for the 42, but i'm afraid that the big dial might look a bit too strange (i currently have a 46mm sawtooth, but the dial is only 30mm across). For those of you with 42mm, what's your wrist size?

Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks!

My wrist is just over 6" and I went with the 39mm... any bigger and it would probably hang over my wrist. So it is the right size for me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just thought I would give an update on my experience with my Pilot M.

First off it is a great watch. The first thing I had to modify was to add another hole in the strap in order for it to fit my wrist without slipping. Now that I have got over the fear of bumping it on anything that may remotely scratch it, I still look down at it and I am impressed by the way it looks.

The one think that I do not like about it is that the lume is not very strong, after about 30min there is virtually no glow at all. If it stays under my shirt sleeve all day and I try to look at it at night, it is very difficult. They should use superluminova or something stronger than what they do. Even a weak glow would help.

Also, I was disappointed that I did not receive some sort of instruction/informational manual with the watch. I think this is something very simple that the company can add cheaply to the packaging.

Overall, for the price paid I think the watch is very nice and I plan on keeping it for a long time.

S

·
0 Posts
Also, I was disappointed that I did not receive some sort of instruction/informational manual with the watch.
Well, the ETA 2824-2 is one of the best known and most used movements so that Archimede abstained from adding a manual.
BTW: There are lots of manuals online; e.g. I added one from Aviator-Buran.com: click here (PDF)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts