675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Hi!

I'm after an Orient Ray 2 from this vendor:

Automatik "Ray" Taucheruhr FAA02004B9 + Box - Taucher

As you can see they offer a sapphire crystal and relume service, which is 120 EUR:

MOD-KIT 75-1, für alle EM75, CEM75, FEM75 + Box w/bl - Modifikationen

Is it worth it? Does anyone has any experience with this seller?
Are there cheaper options for the sapphire upgrade in the EU?

Thanks!
You may want to search the Orient forum posts first, I remember seeing a post a few months ago with some pictures of a relume from Orientuhren and it was pretty poor!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
You may want to search the Orient forum posts first, I remember seeing a post a few months ago with some pictures of a relume from Orientuhren and it was pretty poor!
I knew I had seen it... turns out it was on a thread I started :)

I have previously had a positive experience buying from Orientuhren, but many others have had very poor experiences including this one - I don't know if this is typical of their work, but it doesn't look good.

I would also add, that in my opinion it is not worth modding an Orient Ray, as they are fine as they are. However if you really want sapphire and better lume then perhaps look at buying a different watch.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply. I have many other watches, this was my attempt to get something I like at least a little without breaking the piggy bank :) I thought it would be nice to have a sapphire crystal, I don't care about the lume. I think I'll pass on their modding offer and just buy the watch.
BTW, are there any better places to get the Ray II in the EU? Or is this seller OK?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I have many other watches, this was my attempt to get something I like at least a little without breaking the piggy bank :) I thought it would be nice to have a sapphire crystal, I don't care about the lume. I think I'll pass on their modding offer and just buy the watch.
BTW, are there any better places to get the Ray II in the EU? Or is this seller OK?
My first choice of supplier would be SeriousWatches their service and after sales are excellent, however they are currently showing out of stock.

Another alternative is Long Island Watch (UK) who sell on Amazon I have not used them, but I have read positive reviews of them.

Both SeriousWatches and Long Island Watch are Orient Authorised Dealers, whereas Orientuhren are not.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's some very useful information, thanks! I've also seen that there's a vendor called Schoeneuhren, they have pretty competitive prices too. The price on Long Island watches is OK, but it sums up to more than 250 EUR with shipping, which I think is more than too much for a Ray. We just never get those sweet prices that members from the US do..

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorted,got myself a preowned Orient Mako USA yesterday. The blue one :) No need for modding, since it already has a sapphire crystal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts