WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Sapphire Casebacks for Rolex

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Donut 
#1 ·

Hi All,

I just recently purchased a Swiss sapphire caseback for my GMT-C and installed it over the weekend. The caseback on my GMT-C is pretty cool. I added the installation steps to my DIY page at http://www.minus4plus6.com/caseback.htm#116710 along with a comparison of the caseback made in Germany.

I know some feel that clear casebacks are sacrilege, but in my mind there is no other way to wonder at the micromechanics inside.

All spelling/photo errors are mine, so feel free to point them out.

-Sheldon

(BTW, I also added some cool watch item reviews over Spring Break)

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice idea since Rolex casebacks are indeed a bit boring. I'm German, so getting it should not be a problem. Is there a version for the Explorer I (old model)?

Thanks!

Till

#8 ·
I think Rolex are more of a Tool watch.
Solid casebacks are also much more solid.
OP! Is the WR the same?

#13 ·
I always thought they had solid case backs so that they could be engraved. Any classic Rolex you see typically has some message or initials engraved onto the back, from the era when owning one was truly special and typically meant a lifetime of great service.
Yes, like the 18k Solid Gold Presidential that Marilyn Monroe gave JFK.

Personally I think Rolex does it to be different. Even thought the rotor is not decroated you can still see the the Balance bridge is very solid and well built. That is enough decoration for me.|> Just to look at the blue hairspring and unique balance wheel is sweet.

#10 ·
I wonder if it were possible to engrave or even photo-edge the glass panel. Now that would be very custom. Imagine a nice Octopus graphic on the glass back of a Submariner or a picture of the Nautilus.

Till

#11 ·
I don't mean anything by this really, but the plain Jane 2824-2 in my Archimede Pilot looks more nicely finished then that. I'm honestly surprised that Rolex doesn't spiff up their movements more.

For comparison, it's my understanding that Omega finishes all of their movements to the same standard weather or not there is an observation back fitted.

#12 ·
The simple (read non-) finish on the Rolex has to do with profit maximization and is justified by the tool watch philosophy. Simple as that.

From what I know Omega does finish display back fitted movements to a higher standard. I am quite sure this is the case for the 1861 and 1863 in the Speedmaster Pro. The guys in the Omega forum will quickly clear that up, if needed.

Till

#14 ·
Why would you want to see the movement of your Rolex? When you wear the watch - case-back is not visible, why does it even matter whether it's glass or steel?

Even if you do install see-through case-back - there isn't much to see, Rolex does not finish their movements with fancy designs.

As for the engravings, I think very few people would engrave their watches today.

#18 ·
Personally, I find the Rolex casebacks clean and attractive. I have pieces with prettier and more interesting movements and prefer to keep my pieces original.

If this change helps you get more enjoyment out of your Rolex then more power to you. Thanks for sharing and I hope you enjoy your "new look" Rolex.

Best,
Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.