WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the posts about them. Supposedly the best of both worlds, not as shatter-prone (supposedly) as sapphire, but more scratch resistant than mineral crystals. Lots of Wengers seem to have them. Anyway, does anybody have any real-world experience with them actually being any better than regular mineral crystal? Or is it all hype?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
From my understanding the coating is as scratch resistant as synthetic sapphire crystal; however, the mineral crystal has the anti-impact properties of mineral glass. So it probably won't scratch easily, but it could still chip with high impact. I have a Wenger with it and it has held up with no scratches so far.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From my understanding the coating is as scratch resistant as synthetic sapphire crystal; however, the mineral crystal has the anti-impact properties of mineral glass. So it probably won't scratch easily, but it could still chip with high impact. I have a Wenger with it and it has held up with no scratches so far.
Good to hear. Thanks for the feedback. One of the reasons I asked is I have an incoming Wenger Seaforce also with sapphire coated mineral and was wondering if would hold up to rough use at work.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you will enjoy it!
I believe yours is the actual sapphire crystal version. I have the nearly identical 36mm version and that has actual sapphire crystal. This is what I got. $39.99 from TJ Maxx. This has sapphire coated mineral.

1.jpg

·
Registered
390 Posts
The sapphire coat is practically scratchproof while retaining the resistance to shattering that regular mineral crystal would have, but I expect that hard flying grit (e.g. like when you're riding a motorcycle and those little tiny stones or what fly up) might chip off little bits of the sapphire coat, kind of like what happens to car paint getting stone chips.

I also expect that although the sapphire coat itself is super hard and virtually unscratchable, it's a different matter whether it can be scratched off the mineral crystal.

·
Premium Member
64,108 Posts
I’ve got a few watches with coated crystals and they seem to offer the best of both worlds. I have heard of such crystals failing of their own volition sometimes and apparently some of the Dan Henrys have had this problem though non of mine have suffered.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got a sapphire-coated wenger titanium off road - in 2 months of fairly frequent wear, I have managed to put a scratch on the crystal. But, seems more durable than just mineral crystal. I'm okay with the quality though for the $50.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't know Dan Henry also uses them. Anyway the general consensus seems to be they do offer extra scratch resistance over plain mineral crystal. Thanks for the input everyone, appreciate it!

·
Registered
934 Posts
I use a Wenger as one of my work watches. It has the sapphire coated mineral, and I have never scratched it. I bang it on freaking everything too. WengerSeaForce.jpg
I also have scratched all but two of my 11 mineral glass watches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts