WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have posted this in the Seiko/Citizen forum, but I'm repeating it here in the hope to reach a wider audience.

I have a new blue Sumo coming my way, and I was considering replacing the hardlex to a domed sapphire. Mostly for looks and for the added scratch resistance of sapphire.

WR is important to me, as this watch will be used for actual diving.

I have read the Yobokies vs. Dagaz sapphire crystals discussions in the forum, but has anyone tried the offerings from ebay seller Crystaltimes ?

They have this "lightly" domed version (which I think I might prefer) and this "high-domed" one (they also have a flat one, but that one does not interest me).

Any first hand experience with their products ?

Thanks for your help !

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Hi,

All these aftermarkets sapphire are good replacements and nice quality, however they are a bit more difficult to install than a genuine Seiko OEM hardlex; you have to be perfectly lined up when pressing in the crystal , takes a bit more practice than pressing a Hardlex. Crystaltimes looks alright judging by their ebay feedbacks.

Personally, I would leave the Sumo on the hardlex upon reception. Only replace the crystal when needed after it picks too much scratches. I prefer the lightly domed version; I once had a high domed watch and I kept on banging my wrist everywhere.

If you dive with the watch, you will need to get it pressure tested after the crystal replacement to make sure everything was done properly and it is still 200m WR.

Cheers!

S.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I've had two crystaltimes sapphires. A flat which was used in my mako and a double domed for my 8926 mod. Both were very nice. Neither watch was ever pressure tested but I have submerged the mako in a few inches of water for an hour or so without problems.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I too had the Blumo and purchased the single dome (lightly domed) from crystaltimes. Had my watchmaker do the swap with a new crystal gasket and pressure test it for me, turned out great! The blue AR on the inside of the crystal made an already gorgeous blue dial even better, in the sun it almost vibrated! They provide a good product.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I had my local watch guy install the Yobokies sapphire in my Sumo.

Some people say the crystal gasket should not be re-used, so I ordered a couple from Seiko (a few bucks each) and had a new gasket put in with the crystal.

Very happy with the Yobokies crystal.

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
Sapphire is naturally more reflective and needs better AR than Hardlex. I found the lightly domed sapphire from Dagaz way too reflective. I switched back to the Hardlex in the end.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I own both crystals from Crystaltimes, and posted a reply in the Seiko forum (along with pics).

https://www.watchuseek.com/f21/sapphire-crystal-sumo-2841274.html

It sounds cliche, but the double dome on the Sumo really transforms it into even more stunning of a watch. It simply looks yet even more expensive than it is. I would imagine the blue AR would look especially striking on the Blumo.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback, interesting to see a bit of everything !

Good to see that Crystaltimes is a valid source, since I think I will prefer the light dome and Harold does not have sapphires for Sumo ATM.

Thanks dZeak for your reply and pics in the other thread !

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I put one of Harold's AR-coated sapphires in my Sumo a couple of years ago and it had almost TOO much blue in the coating. Not sure if his supplier is even the same anymore. I have used several CrystalTimes sapphires in various watches and they are a great value and fit perfectly.

·
Registered
485 Posts
DaveD's pics depict the Crystaltimes double dome perfectly.

Reactions: DaveD

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Slightly "off topic" - I sure wish that Crystaltimes or SOME-BODY would make a double-domed sapphire crystal that I could retrofit to my Rolex 14060 Submariner; that's the ONE thing that I find off-putting - that FLAT sapphire crystal...

·
Premium Member
36,232 Posts
The dome really adds to the depth of the watch. Nice pictures.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Holy crap i have unused crystal from him and original new gasket but did not install them.

please check pm.

Sent from my P01MA using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tried the highly recommended double dome from crystaltimes but the blue ar was far too much blue and 'killed' what was the fantastic lume on my sumo. It even made the dial much less legible. Too much blue ar coating is pretty silly imho, completely unnecessary. I now have the dlw equivalent double dome with blue ar which is much better.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another vote in favor of Crystsltimes.

I put one of their double domes on the Sumo I had at one point.

And I have the double domes on both Turtles I still keep.

Only consideration is that to do a proper crystal replacement (any brand, actually), that will retain the WR of the watch, I would consider a new crystal gasket and you will need a crystal press too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts