WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I changed hesalite crystal in authorized service that uses original parts at least they say so... watch: longines conquest... I payed 40 EUR for crystal + 20 EUR work... when I asked how about Tissot le locle which has sapphire - the same price... :think: Is it only a myth that sapphire crystals are more expensive to change or the service doesn t use original parts? Please let me know what do you think...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
You would have to compare replacement crystals from the same brand. For example, and Omega hesalite replacement costs $39 on Otto Frei, while the cheapest sapphire crystal I saw goes for about twice that.

·
Premium Member
21,707 Posts
A sapphire crystal that is domed the same way as a domed hesalite crystal is very expensive, since it has to be ground out of a thick piece of sapphire crystal. A thin sapphire crystal isn't necessarily very expensive, particularly if they use generic parts.

Reactions: hanzo

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Sapphire is second in hardness only to diamond. There is no doubt that a quality clear sapphire crystal will cost more. Of course, a cheaply made sapphire crystal will be less. you get's what you pay for.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sapphire is second in hardness only to diamond. There is no doubt that a quality clear sapphire crystal will cost more. Of course, a cheaply made sapphire crystal will be less. you get's what you pay for.
So if it is tissot original sapphire and costs only 40EUR the brand uses low quality parts in production...

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,485 Posts
Are you asking about a flat or domed sapphire crystal. With or without optical coatings. Domed with optical coatings will cost more than uncoated flat sheet. Ask Longines if the sapphire will look have the same shape as the hesalite.

FWIW I have two modern Oris retro styled watches with nicely domed straight sided hesalite crystals that I would never consider exchanging for sapphire because even an expensive domed sapphire won't match the shape.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts