WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone please point me at a reputable dealer to purchase a sapphire glass replacement for my sbbn-015
... please don't ask why i want one:-|

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Scratch on the hardlex? Prefer the blue hue? OCD about sapphire? Sorry, had to ask...... picked mine up from Yobokies only to install if I scratch the Hardlex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I think Yobokies charges around $90.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I have the SBBN015 and wear occasionally in the rotation. Although I'm not able to see any marks on original crystal, have considered having it replaced with aftermarket sapphire with anti-reflective coating. Figure it would provide better clarity at a glance and reduce typical glare.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I have the SBBN015 and wear occasionally in the rotation. Although I'm not able to see any marks on original crystal, have considered having it replaced with aftermarket sapphire with anti-reflective coating. Figure it would provide better clarity at a glance and reduce typical glare.
Hi tsteph, thanks for that. But most of us know why someone would normally want to do it... But since the op asked us not to ask we obviously had to ask.

Im guessing theres an embarrassing story involved...hopefully he'll share.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just a point they don't just sapphire glass on this model. As they use a sapphire lex glass which is a little thicker. So if you fit sapphire glass the watch may be not water resistant. Just wanted to give you the heads up.

S2000

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just a point they don't just sapphire glass on this model. As they use a sapphire lex glass which is a little thicker. So if you fit sapphire glass the watch may be not water resistant. Just wanted to give you the heads up.

S2000
I'm not following...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not following...

Each watch case & gaskets are designed for the glass, that is intended to be used with the watch. So if the manufacturer uses sapphire; you could not fit plexiglass, at a later date.( As Sapphire is a lot thinner, than plexiglass and has a different dome shape. ) So it could fit but maybe not water resistant anymore.

Also they would use a glass, they developed themselves called sapphire-lex on this model. It's plexiglass fitted with a thin layer of sapphire glass . I don't know anyone else using this glass bar them.
I hope that helps.

S2000

·
Registered
198 Posts
Each watch case & gaskets are designed for the glass, that is intended to be used with the watch. So if the manufacturer uses sapphire; you could not fit plexiglass, at a later date.( As Sapphire is a lot thinner, than plexiglass and has a different dome shape. ) So it could fit but maybe not water resistant anymore.

Also they would use a glass, they developed themselves called sapphire-lex on this model. It's plexiglass fitted with a thin layer of sapphire glass . I don't know anyone else using this glass bar them.
I hope that helps.

S2000
Thanks. But I'm still not understanding. If someone produces a sapphire crystal to the same dimensions as a hardlex crystal, then it is the same dimensions and therefore interchangeable. No?

·
Registered
14,456 Posts
Oh brother. A damaged watch crystal is so traumatic that it can't be discussed? Wow.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ha Ha - well I thought it would be obvious why - I scratched the hardlex, damn it scratched easily too.

I was playing with my 2 year old labrador - having a bit of a wrestle and the watch ended up making contact contact with the tiled floor. The combination of the dome sitting proud of the shroud and the hardllex makes it a bit prone to scratches IMHO.

Given my wife sae it as a bit of an extravagance and witnessed the event and my reaction .... i was a bit touchy about discussing it!

I have ordered a sapphire from yobokies... I've heard they pressure test OK too - so fingers crossed - I'll post before and after pics once it's done

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Oh brother. A damaged watch crystal is so traumatic that it can't be discussed? Wow.
Op started another thread about putting one in. Turns out it was just a little wound from petting his dog I think(?)

No bullet deflection, no hit by an express bus, no IED...total let down if you ask me

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Op started another thread about putting one in. Turns out it was just a little wound from petting his dog I think(?)

No bullet deflection, no hit by an express bus, no IED...total let down if you ask me
I was defusing a nuclear bomb that terrorists had smuggled into the city, the timer was counting down 10 ... 9... 8 ... I reached in among the wires --- found the blue and the red wire, grasped the blue wire and was about to cut it with my trusty wire cutters - then my partner shouted - "no you idiot cut the red wire", which cut through my icy concentration and startled me - causing me to fumble my wire cutters and scratch my tuna ... in despair I yanked my left arm out from the tangle of wires to express my grief at scratching my watch. In the process the shroud snagged a green wire and pulled it out - thankfully this was the correct wire (my partner is red green color blind) thus defusing the bomb with 2 seconds to spare.

that better?

·
Registered
14,456 Posts

LOL! That is a letdown.

What's funny is that practically every WIS has watch damage from pets.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts