WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to check if anyone has had an experience where they tested the sapphire on their watches and found that it failed the
water drop test ? Reading the posts from some forumers, I wonder if some of the manufacturers actually randomly use non sapphire
glass despite advertising to the contrary.
For me, I had 3 watches from the same manufacturer, 2 of which are of the same model (LE) but of the 2 pieces of the same model,
both failed the sapphire test whereas the other piece didn't. On their website, it was advertised sapphire crystal. I suppose this could
have meant it was just a coating on normal glass ? :rodekaart

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I would also like to hear what kind of "test" you are talking about
did you try to scrats the glass ?

Watches is about make us belive but if they have said to you it is sapphire and it isn't
then it is just back to dealer and tell him the glas is wrong.

As long as my expensive watches have saphire or hardlex then I don't care,
they will both work very well were I go with them.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
The "water drop test" is just an indicator that it may or may not be sapphire. All sorts of things can affect the result, does it have an AR coating, does it have any residue on the crystal, oil, grease, cleaning products, this will all affect how the water beads?

I would think the only sure way to know is to use something like a gem tester that measures the refractive index or heat conductivity.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
That or take a pin and try to scratch it. Have confidence.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
I have done that a few times,and passed..I doubt most companies would do such a thing,and lie about their watch crystals anyway.
Agreed. I just don't see what is in it for them. I know its cheaper, but most watches will still be under warranty when the scratches start to show up.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Better to rub the crystal against a concrete wall. A metal pin can be made of Tegimented (hardened ) steel, so it may have a HV of more than the Sapphire.
Concrete is softer than Sapphire, but harder than Mineral glass or Acrylic.
While you are at it, rub the side of the case against the wall, to check if the manufacturer has hardened the case.

Reactions: Spit161

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Just to check if anyone has had an experience where they tested the sapphire on their watches and found that it failed the
water drop test ? Reading the posts from some forumers, I wonder if some of the manufacturers actually randomly use non sapphire
glass despite advertising to the contrary.
For me, I had 3 watches from the same manufacturer, 2 of which are of the same model (LE) but of the 2 pieces of the same model,
both failed the sapphire test whereas the other piece didn't. On their website, it was advertised sapphire crystal. I suppose this could
have meant it was just a coating on normal glass ? :rodekaart
I would really doubt that a manufacturer would lie about having a sapphire crystal if they were randomly putting in non-sapphire crystals. Get caught doing something like that and it would really tarnish their reputation. I could believe that if a crystal were replaced for some reason the replacement could be of a different material than the original.

I also haven't found that water drop test to be all that accurate or consistent. I suspect that test can be affected by an AR coating or how clean or not the watch is. I have taken a sharp steak knife and tried to scratch a sapphire crystal with it (it didn't scratch), but that's really not the sort of test I'd like to do all the time. I also suspect that a test like that could damage an AR coating

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Better to rub the crystal against a concrete wall. A metal pin can be made of Tegimented (hardened ) steel, so it may have a HV of more than the Sapphire.
Concrete is softer than Sapphire, but harder than Mineral glass or Acrylic.
While you are at it, rub the side of the case against the wall, to check if the manufacturer has hardened the case.
You forgot one thing Janne - mail it off to a diving company, and get them to drop it down to the specified WR depth, and see what happens.

cheers,
Jake.

Reactions: Metlin

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
You forgot one thing Janne - mail it off to a diving company, and get them to drop it down to the specified WR depth, and see what happens.

cheers,
Jake.
A very good test! I would ask them to go 25% below that depth, as a Diver should take that according to the DIN and ISO norms.

Reactions: Spit161

·
Registered
92 Posts
Why the need to test it, its likd crashing your car to ensure youf airbags work, well not exactly but i dont see the poing in it, if it does scratch and it ends up not being saphire then you will get your money back due to false advertising,

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Banned
21,244 Posts

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,922 Posts
I think results are more of an indicator of water quality and the drop making skills of the tester than anything else. It tells you nothing about the material content of the crystal or the presence of a coating. You should be able to see an optical coating on the outside at certain angles. Beyond that the best test for the presence of a sapphire crystal is the reputation of the manufacturer. If you don't trust them to deliver watches as described you should not be handing over your hard earned money.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.