WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, a WIS saga in my life has just ended. After scraping together enough coin, i purchased a Rolex 14060M earlier this year and wore it happily for several months. But as the "Rolex" thrill wore off, I realized that when it came to every detail, from case shape and finish, bezel, dial and hands, lume, and certainly bracelet quality, my previously owned SAR won out. So I traded my Sub for a big hunka cash and a NIB SAR. These are back available at Countycomm, and are a helluva bargain. Those of you who can afford it and don't have one in your collection, really oughta check'em out!

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Flipping a Submariner for a watch that looks like a knock-off of a Submariner? Flipping an in-house movement for an off-the-rack ETA? :think: Personally, I think you're nuts, but then so is this obsession with watches that ties us all together. Therefore it is in this light -- as a kindred spirit, naturally -- that I salute you, Tallguy. Congrats on following your heart, rather than the status quo. :-!

Wear your SAR in good health.

Regards,
Adam

S

·
0 Posts
Well, a WIS saga in my life has just ended. After scraping together enough coin, i purchased a Rolex 14060M earlier this year and wore it happily for several months. But as the "Rolex" thrill wore off, I realized that when it came to every detail, from case shape and finish, bezel, dial and hands, lume, and certainly bracelet quality, my previously owned SAR won out. So I traded my Sub for a big hunka cash and a NIB SAR. These are back available at Countycomm, and are a helluva bargain. Those of you who can afford it and don't have one in your collection, really oughta check'em out!
You might want to brace yourself for some heat after those words, but it makes perfect sense to me at least.
But I'm a bit biased perhaps since most of my watches eats subs/sd's for breakfast...;-)

There is no such thing as one watch that will fit the bill for all of us, choosing what feels right for you is what it's all about.
Sometimes we sell and only realise when they are gone just how much we liked them.

Congratulations on finding your way in this watch-djungle we all try to navigate through! :)
But I'm sure there will be plenty more forks in your road up ahead as well.

It's the hunt and not the kill that fuels this madness. ;-)

/Stefan

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh yeah, still working on a little 6309 resto project....and i'm not knocking the Rolex at all...it wasn't that it didn't do anything for me, just that it didn't give me an extra $2k's worth of delight; and my comparisons were more of a personal choice (although you could easily argue that the SAR bracelet is in fact superior). They can only put so much lume on the Rolex hands, due to their design. and i again have no doubt that the 3130 movement was superior, although mine was running about +10 on the wrist....yes, the journey is ongoing, but the SAR is one I found I have always come back to....

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Nice looking SAR, tallguy. I just ordered one on Thursday late afternoon and expect it Tuesday of this week. Great looking watch and even better when you can get it with the S/S bracelet, all NIB.

I've seen a number of SARs at work and talked to a number of SAR Techs that are issued them and use them, and they all absolutely rave about them. So I finally pulled the trigger.

I'll post picks and do a review when I come back from my dive holiday, where I plan to give it a really work-out.

Ciao,

James

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice looking SAR, tallguy. I just ordered one on Thursday late afternoon and expect it Tuesday of this week. Great looking watch and even better when you can get it with the S/S bracelet, all NIB.

I've seen a number of SARs at work and talked to a number of SAR Techs that are issued them and use them, and they all absolutely rave about them. So I finally pulled the trigger.

I'll post picks and do a review when I come back from my dive holiday, where I plan to give it a really work-out.

Ciao,

James
:-! |> :-! |> :-! |> :gold :silver :bronze

·
Registered
11,826 Posts

Love my SAR! It is one of three or four watches I wish I'd brought with me to the Middle East.

A bit surprised to see you let the Rollie go so soon, but it is understandable (and the SAR is CERTAINLY not even close to a Sub knock off).

So now the question is, do you see another Doxa on the horizon? B-)

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Love my SAR! It is one of three or four watches I wish I'd brought with me to the Middle East.

A bit surprised to see you let the Rollie go so soon, but it is understandable (and the SAR is CERTAINLY not even close to a Sub knock off).

So now the question is, do you see another Doxa on the horizon? B-)
Ya know, here is the odd 3 watches that have continuously held my interest: SAR, 6309, and Doxa (mainly Sharkie).....and I have a great opportunity on a great price new Sharkie, but the price and bling are probably going to keep me with what I have. The bezel and its tendency for scratching are the biggest detractors. The case of the 6309, one of which i am doing a little resto project on, satisfy my Doxa desire me thinks...

Well, then again, there is one more that i find intriguing....the Sinn U1....will the madness ever end?O| :p

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
If you decide on a Sinn, Tallguy, PM or email me before you take the plunge.....

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I certainly didn't mean to step on anyone's toes when I implied that the SAR looked like a Submariner knock-off; Lord knows that it has earned its stripes a thousand times over in situations that most would fear to tread with a $$$ Rollie on their wrists.

However... That bracelet does look awfully familiar... Come to think of it, those lugs seem to ring a bell... Hey look, there's a "cyclops" date magnifier... And where have I seen those dial markers before? Hmmmm... :think: Give me a moment, and it'll come to me. ;-)

But seriously, the SAR is perhaps the ultimate tool watch, and there is little doubt that it will provide years of exemplary service. In fact, I'd consider picking one up myself, save for the fact that the arrival of my first child last week has severely crimped my watch purchasing power. To wit, those who notice such things will see that the Kobold SOA and Sinn U1 that were previously "on order" in my signature are now missing... O|

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I certainly didn't mean to step on anyone's toes when I implied that the SAR looked like a Submariner knock-off; Lord knows that it has earned its stripes a thousand times over in situations that most would fear to tread with a $$$ Rollie on their wrists.

However... That bracelet does look awfully familiar... Come to think of it, those lugs seem to ring a bell... Hey look, there's a "cyclops" date magnifier... And where have I seen those dial markers before? Hmmmm... :think: Give me a moment, and it'll come to me. ;-)

But seriously, the SAR is perhaps the ultimate tool watch, and there is little doubt that it will provide years of exemplary service. In fact, I'd consider picking one up myself, save for the fact that the arrival of my first child last week has severely crimped my watch purchasing power. To wit, those who notice such things will see that the Kobold SOA and Sinn U1 that were previously "on order" in my signature are now missing... O|

Regards,
Adam
Not to beat a dead horse, Adam, but there are a LOT of watches that are a LOT more similar in case design, shape and dimensions than the SAR. The bezel is truly unique, as is the crown, and about the only similarity is the dial. The bracelet is quite different, as it has wedge-shaped center links which are solid, and solid end links as well. The Rolex is truly a classic, and constantly copied, but not many would put the SAR in the copycat category.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Way to go Tallguy, I loved my SAR ,should never have sold it. I know it is not in the same league as the " R" but it is sweet.
Regards
Robert

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Hey, Tallguy, I hear you loud and clear. Perhaps I was a bit hasty in my assesment of the SAR. Ultimately, it's a classic in its own right, and any similarities that exist between it and the Submariner boil down to solid, intuitive design. Let's face it, as mammals, both a dolphin and a human may look awfully similar to an alien observer. How does this relates to the SAR/Sub issue? I have no idea.

Anyway, enjoy your purchase. As I said in my first post, it's nice to see someone following their heart, as opposed to the status quo. If the SAR is the watch for you, then so be it.

Regards,
Adam

PS - C'mon, at least give me the bracelet. That's a dead ringer for an Oyster. And what about the dial? And the cyclops... <joking!;-) >

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, Tallguy, I hear you loud and clear. Perhaps I was a bit hasty in my assesment of the SAR. Ultimately, it's a classic in its own right, and any similarities that exist between it and the Submariner boil down to solid, intuitive design. Let's face it, as mammals, both a dolphin and a human may look awfully similar to an alien observer. How does this relates to the SAR/Sub issue? I have no idea.

Anyway, enjoy your purchase. As I said in my first post, it's nice to see someone following their heart, as opposed to the status quo. If the SAR is the watch for you, then so be it.

Regards,
Adam

PS - C'mon, at least give me the bracelet. That's a dead ringer for an Oyster. And what about the dial? And the cyclops... <joking!;-) >
100% agreement with ya Adam....except for one thing....and I belabor this point not to win any argument, but to educate anyone who hasn't seen one; the SAR bracelet is really quite unique. The center links are wedge shaped, which in a photo might look similar to the oyster, but in person have quite a different look! The SAR just arrived today, and I'd forgotten what a really nice piece it is....to anyone thinking about it, buy one!:-! :-!

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Trust me, you're not belaboring anything here. As someone who has not handled a SAR in the flesh (or steel, as it were), I have only pictures to rely upon. If you say that the bracelet is, in fact, different from the venerable (and let's face it, somewhat cheap feeling) Oyster in ways that pictures do not tell, then that's good enough for me. Frankly, the whole watch is good enough for me, and if I had the disposable income to blow, one would probably be enroute to my stable by now. Unfortunately, I do not have any disposable income (check out this forum if you want to know why), so all I can do is tweak you a bit.

So, in closing, congrats on your new SAR (pictures, please...), and think of my SARless wrists as you enjoy your new watch.

Regards,
Adam

·
6,880 Posts
Well....I sold my TSAR a few weeks ago to fund another purchase. HOWEVER, I just won a used SAR on the bay! This particular one is the SAR-D that has the faulty dial with the H3 markings but with the superluminova hands. Doesn't matter to me though!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well....I sold my TSAR a few weeks ago to fund another purchase. HOWEVER, I just won a used SAR on the bay! This particular one is the SAR-D that has the faulty dial with the H3 markings but with the superluminova hands. Doesn't matter to me though!
Good choice! My new one is the SAR-D as well, which may in the long run be far more collectable. Think about it; the other SAR's have all been overruns of issued watches; the SAR-D was unable to be issued due to the "error", and therefor will most likely be much rarer....:-!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
(check out this forum if you want to know why
Congrats on the new arrival! My boy just turned 5; hard to believe that i was in your shoes just 5 years ago. Just put him and his mom on a flight to Qatar via Paris to visit relatives; to see him say "bye dad" and hop on that plane as if it was the school bus was the coolest thing yet! Who cares about watches! :-! (My retirement plan: 5yrs old, 4'3", 80lbs! NBA or NFL, take your pick!)

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Congrats on the new arrival! My boy just turned 5; hard to believe that i was in your shoes just 5 years ago. Just put him and his mom on a flight to Qatar via Paris to visit relatives; to see him say "bye dad" and hop on that plan as if it was the school bus was the coolest thing yet! Who cares about watches! :-! (My retirement plan: 5yrs old, 4'3", 80lbs! NBA or NFL, take your pick!)

He may be eating you out of watch money soon though till you get him drafted! :-D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts