WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello-
I'm new to the dive forum but now brand new to WUS. I have a question about these Marathon watches i think you guys could clear up for me.

Can someone please explai what all these diferent _SAR acronyms mean?

Of course I already know tha SAR is search and rescue, but what are all these types of SARS? what makes them different from on another. your input is welcome.

thanks, Leo

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
GSAR - Government SAR - automatic ETA 2824, tritium
JSAR - Jumbo SAR - BIG A** quartz, Superluminova
TSAR - Tritium SAR - quartz, tritium
DSAR - Dive SAR - automatic ETA 2824, Luminova
CSAR - Chrono SAR - automatic 7750, tritium

SAR - Search and Rescue

If I remember correctly.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
GSAR - Government SAR - automatic ETA 2824, tritium
JSAR - Jumbo SAR - BIG A** quartz, Superluminova
TSAR - Tritium SAR - quartz, tritium
DSAR - Dive SAR - automatic ETA 2824, Luminova
CSAR - Chrono SAR - automatic 7750, tritium

SAR - Search and Rescue

If I remember correctly.
+1 with pic

SAR and TSAR

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Here's a picture of the SAR-D on a Gasbones strap. Note that this isone of themismarked dials - it shows that the lume is tritium when its not.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
One small clarification; the DSAR was basically the traditional SAR, but with a mistake on the dial that indicated "H3" and the tritium symbol when in fact the dial and hands have more traditional lume. They were a one-off run of "mistakes" that make them a bit more unique.:p

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I used to own a SAR-D, and if memory serves me correctly, doesn't the "D" stand for "defect"; as in the incorrect dial as mentioned above. :)

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I used to own a SAR-D, and if memory serves me correctly, doesn't the "D" stand for "defect"; as in the incorrect dial as mentioned above. :)
I think you are right; all the "SAR" nicknames are just that, nicknames; the actual Marathon name for the watches is "wrist watch, dive" I think:roll: as printed on the caseback for gov't orders. J was "Jumbo", C was "chronograph" T was tritium. G....hmmmm, I think that even though the plain luminova SAR was the first model, the Tritium G model was actually what was envisioned for large "Government" orders.....

If you do a forum search here on WUS, both in the dive forum and the pilot/military forum, you will find TONS of info. Also, don't forget that it originated on the MWR forum at broadarrow.net.

SAR myth and mythology....fun stuff, great watches! I've owned about 10, have none now, and MISS THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Here's the CSAR!!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Cream of the crop, right there!
Serious bit of kit that I aspire to own oneday!:p

Yes, I agree. I had it...sold it...now I want it again. o|

·
Registered
10 Posts
Could someone please tell me how to get a hold of a CSAR if you're not living in the US? I've found a few dealers but they all seems to ignore us Europeans:-(

·
Registered
6,203 Posts

Looks like it's all been covered.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
as far as i know, the descriptions are as follows:

SAR - Search and Rescue
TSAR - tritium search and rescue
GSAR - government search and rescue
JSAR - jumbo search and rescue
CSAR - chronograph search and rescue
SAR-D - search and rescue - defect

the SAR name, of course, was just a nickname given by owners and admirers since they were initially intended for use with the Canadian Forces Air Force Search and Rescue Technicians. the SAR-D was so named because of the defect dial which indicated the use of tritium when in fact there was none.

i recently gave up almost my entire watch collection, including a few SAR series watches, to fund a grail which i'm STILL trying to pay off.

shameless photo plug:

[edit]: contract dates are just that. the organization ordering from Marathon will contract Marathon to produce X number of a particular series of watches. once that contract is fulfilled, that series is complete. for example, my SAR says May 2006. so in may of 2006, the CAF ordered a particular number of SAR watches. it may take a few years to issue all of them, but they will all say May 2006 on the back along with a serial number.

long story short, each contract date is based on the demand from the consumer from the providor. rumour has it that Marathon is no longer producing SAR watches (while T, G, J, or CSARs may still be in production) so those will quickly become highly collectable. and with each new contract there may be changes to the specifications such as the addition or removal of tritium, or the use of the "U.S. Government" branding, or the use of 60 or 120 click bezels, etc. and with each new iteration of the SAR series, a new nickname is given, such as TSAR, GSAR etc etc etc.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
the CSAR shares the same dimensions as the JSAR

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
as far as i know, the descriptions are as follows:

SAR - Search and Rescue
TSAR - tritium search and rescue
GSAR - government search and rescue
JSAR - jumbo search and rescue
CSAR - chronograph search and rescue
SAR-D - search and rescue - defect

the SAR name, of course, was just a nickname given by owners and admirers since they were initially intended for use with the Canadian Forces Air Force Search and Rescue Technicians. the SAR-D was so named because of the defect dial which indicated the use of tritium when in fact there was none.

i recently gave up almost my entire watch collection, including a few SAR series watches, to fund a grail which i'm STILL trying to pay off.

shameless photo plug:

. . .and with each new contract there may be changes to the specifications such as the addition or removal of tritium, or the use of the "U.S. Government" branding, or the use of 60 or 120 click bezels, etc. and with each new iteration of the SAR series, a new nickname is given, such as TSAR, GSAR etc etc etc.
Thanks for the photo VERY good for getting an idea of relative sizes.
The top row is SAR, TSAR, GSAR and JSAR?
Is the SAR larger than the TSAR and GSAR but smaller than the JSAR?

The last part of your post is what I was driving at. I read that the newer versions have 120 click bezels. I was wondering what other changes have been made through the generations. Are certain contract date versions of a TSAR or GSAR more desirable because of small differences?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts