WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking for an automatic/mechanical watch with a black leather strap, blue, red, or white dial, under $500. After some research, I have found the following two so far:

i) Seiko Sarb 065 (cocktail time)

ii) Orient bambino v4

What are your opinions about these watches?

Or, if you have any other suggestion satisfying the criteria above, i would appreciate that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I like the cocktail time. They re really nice in person. You should be able to find that for about $250ish too.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I’ve had both the cocktail time and the bambino ..... the sarb is two classes above in quality, looks, fit and finish.

Edit - didn’t notice the v4 part .... I had a v2 so I’m really not quite sure how they compare, but I have faith that the original assertion that the Seiko will win out still stands.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I was SOOO close to ordering the Bambino V4. Close enough that I actually ordered it on Massdrop. Then I realized the V4 was 42mm not the 40.5mm like the earlier bambinos. Cancelled immediately. I can tell you that the SARB065 is a spectacular watch that I absolutely adore, but at 40.5mm it is already pushing the size boundaries of a dressy watch (for me at least). These all dial watches wear much larger than their specs, and I can only imagine how big the V4 wears.
Still. . .that green dial though. . .

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
71,508 Posts
The Bambino will hate me for saying this but if you can pick up a SARB065 do so. The Seiko strap is a real horror but the watch more than makes up for it and more or less begs for a nicer strap. Look up picture of the 065 on Perlons because IMO they look fantastic.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The Bambino will hate me for saying this but if you can pick up a SARB065 do so. The Seiko strap is a real horror but the watch more than makes up for it and more or less begs for a nicer strap. Look up picture of the 065 on Perlons because IMO they look fantastic.
Was going to mention that the SARB065 strap is pretty bad, but also doesn't fit 6"wrist like mine.

Thanks for the tip on Perkins strap.

Might need to try one out

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Cocktail time do punch way above its price,I have it in rotation with Rolex,Omega,JLC,Panerai,Cartier,another Seiko (prospex)...it's my go to if I ever need to dress up with long sleeve shirt for something a bit more casual

·
Registered
851 Posts
No brainer------SARB although I do like the Bambino but really, no comparison. Plus, as Dub Rubb pointed out, the new Bambino is 42mm diameter which is generally regarded as a bit large for a dress watch.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I know the Bambino has a lot of fans, but I was underwhelmed with it in person. The Seiko Cocktail time watches had the exact opposite effect: even nicer looking/feeling in person.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all of you who have responded! SARB 065 is a clear winner, I haven't seen such a consensus before :)

Now the question is where to buy it. I have SARB 017 (Alpinist) which I bought from a Japanese seller in Amazon. Current Amazon listing for 065 is from a US dealer with $498 price tag, should I trust it?
(maybe it would be better to ask this question to SARB 065 sub-forum, but I assume this is not a wrong place either)

Also, I immediately changed the strap on Alpinist as it was so bad, do I need to change the strap of cocktail time as well? I mean, is the default strap of 065 as bad as the default strap of Alpinist? (btw, I don't understand why Seiko doesn't sell these watches with a quality strap)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The Japanese Sarb 065 is three times more expensive than the Bambino v4 and a much nicer watch. But you can get the US or international Presage on sale for less than the Sarb 065 with similar looks. It is now on sale at Macy's.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/seiko-mens-automatic-presage-black-leather-strap-watch-40.5mm?ID=5865494&CategoryID=23930&isDlp=true#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D6%26ruleId%3D25%26kws%3Dseiko%20presage%26searchPass%3DallMultiMatchWithSpelling%26slotId%3D3

I have the Seiko Presage SRPB 77 Cocktail Time with bracelet, and I like it. I also have the Brown Rose Gold V4 Bambino. The Seiko is of a higher quality. The Bambino is a larger watch. Both are accurate but the Seiko is better on the time grapher.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
There is also the Seiko SRPB 41 Blue Moon Cocktail time with Bracelet. You can swap out the bracelet for a strap. It is on sale at Macy's for $270.
Don't forget that ebates has 10% cash back right now either! Also, the promo code for Macy's is FRIEND. Between that and the cash back, it brings this to $230!

·
Premium Member
7,414 Posts
I like the sarb's but I will throw a curve ball out there. I was thinking of getting one for a while too, but found I preferred the Mido Belluna. Here is mine, and then the blue one which I think you would prefer. The sarb is cheaper, but the Mido offers a better bracelet, movement, and lugs in my opinion. 20181211_144340_1544508273501.jpg maxresdefault_1544508348272.jpg

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
My favorite blue watch is my Citizen 8350 blue with steel bracelet (can be got with a strap). It has the minimalist look, and there is also a Roman numeral version. I have the minimalist version -- no dome crystal. This has folded bracelet but the bracelet is better than the Seiko 5 bracelet -- can't really tell it is folded.

https://www.longislandwatch.com/Citizen_NH8350_83L_Watch_p/nh8350-83l.htm

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Does the new Presage have the same dial as the 065? I haven't seen nearly as many pictures of the Presage.
I sure like looking at other folks' Cocktail Times. I would get to wear it so infrequently, I just enjoy it vicariously.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Does the new Presage have the same dial as the 065? I haven't seen nearly as many pictures of the Presage.
I sure like looking at other folks' Cocktail Times. I would get to wear it so infrequently, I just enjoy it vicariously.
Same essential dial, yes. The text/logo is a bit different.

What's nice about the Presage line is that they offer more variation. I have the rose gold/brown dial variation (which gives it a kind of tiger's eye reflective effect), and it's stunning.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Same essential dial, yes. The text/logo is a bit different.

What's nice about the Presage line is that they offer more variation. I have the rose gold/brown dial variation (which gives it a kind of tiger's eye reflective effect), and it's stunning.
The only other difference I have noticed between the 2 is that the indices on the SARB065 have a separation at the minute track where the presage does not.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts