WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

SARB035 vs Orient Star WZ0041AC vs Hamilton Khaki Field 38mm

9K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  KogKiller 
#1 ·
I have a SARB035 on the way. Bought it after the discontinuation scare but now second guessing if it's what I really want. Don't get me wrong, love the sarbs and if I have it my collection I'd cherish it. I just want to be sure I shouldn't go for another watch for the same money instead. I generally wear whatever I like unless it's a very formal occasion so it doesn't matter if it's dressy or a field watch or a diver as long as I think it looks good and has a good movement.

I'll post my collection if that helps make this decision. I have a SARB017 alpinist, SARB065 cocktail, Tissot le locle, Tissot visodate, SKX009, DH 1969, DH1939, Mako USA, Citizen Blue Angels AT, Borealis Sea Storm.

So...keep the Sarb035? Or sell it for an Orient Star standard (blue or white)? Or a Hammy Khaki?

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Watch Analog watch White Watch accessory Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

See less See more
#4 ·
My 2 pence is the Hammy all the way. Much more versatile and look at that brilliant red arrow seconds hand. But I am very biased against lumed dauphine hands on dress watches. There is no substitute or compromise with solid chromed dauphines, as found on the Seiko SARY057 or Orient Sun and Moon Gen.1, for quick examples. And, believe it or not, they are very easy to read in low-light - the slightest bit and the hands twinkle and gleam. They have almost made me believe all lumed hands (even on divers) is a waste and that all hands should be fully chromed out. That said, the lumed hands on the Hammy just work better with the dial and style.

#5 ·
Of the choices you have, SARB035 all the way. It's so much more versatile than people seem to give it credit for, having a white dial and a conservative design doesn't make it strictly a dress watch.

I had a similar decision to make a while back where I was torn between the SARB, Glycine Combat 6 36mm and the Hamilton. I ended up getting the Glycine and, upon hearing about the SARBs being discontinued, picked up a 035 as well. While I'm sure it's a capable watch, the Hamilton's design does nothing for me, it seems kind of dull. If you prefer a black-dialed field watch to the Seiko and the Orient Star, then I'd suggest having a look at Glycine -- ETA 2824-2 based movement and a slicker design, got mine new for less than 300 USD on eBay.

#10 ·
I've heard the Hammy water problems. As much as I'd like one it is keeping it in last place at the moment.

I believe the Orient Star has a more decorated movement and more interesting dial to look at it but it'd be difficult to dress it down.

I may just keep the SARB when it arrives and complete the Trio. I'll take a look at it when it arrives and if it doesn't impress then I may go for the Orient or Hamilton. This is tough!

#11 ·
The SARB035 is less dressy than the Cocktail Time, but more dressy than the Alpinist. I don't think it fills a very big niche in your collection. You could easily get by with the Alpinist.

Orient Stars are beautiful, but I feel like for that kind of money, they should have sapphire crystals and a bit of finish to the movement.

If it were me, I'd rather have the Khaki than any of those you mentioned. It fills a clear niche in your collection, and especially that model you pictured, is just a great watch. A bit of flash, so it can be worn to work, but still super-legible. Red-tipped seconds hand adds a lot of interest. It shouldn't, it's such a small thing, but it really does. The multi-level dial really classes it up, too.

However, if you can afford it, why not just keep the SARB035 as a speculative investment piece? Just put it to the side, unworn, and give it a few shakes now every few months. 5-10 years from now, you might turn a tidy little profit. Seikos are getting more and more expensive; I feel like it would be a pretty safe bet.

#12 ·
I see your point Smaug. That's part of the reason I started this thread the 035 doesn't particularly fill a big gap in my collection.

Quick correction, the orient standard has sapphire with ar coating and the movement is decorated too. Geneva stripes.

#15 ·
This is not turning out well! I came home today after work because tracking said sarb was delivered. Nothing in my mailbox or front porch! The US postal service has done it again! I am not losing out on my money I will get it back one way or another! I really hope whoever has it returns it to me. I don't know what else to do at this point.

#18 ·
Well this resolved itself quickly! Never in a million years would I guess USPS would actually do it right this time. They sent back the carrier to find the package, she did find it (left at a wrong address no less) and left it at my door not too long ago. Here it is! With a strap from amazon. I love it! After this whole ordeal I believe I am destined to keep it!

Fresh out of the box!

A couple minutes later with the new strap!
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

#19 ·
Well this resolved itself quickly! Never in a million years would I guess USPS would actually do it right this time. They sent back the carrier to find the package, she did find it (left at a wrong address no less) and left it at my door not too long ago. Here it is! With a strap from amazon. I love it! After this whole ordeal I believe I am destined to keep it!

Fresh out of the box!
View attachment 12997689

A couple minutes later with the new strap!
View attachment 12997695
Glad it was easily located. Congrats, it's a great looking watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#24 ·
My vote is for the Sarb035. I got the Sarb033 on March 18th and I have to say I am head-over heels madly in love :). It is an amazing, amazing watch. So I'd actually say get the Sarb033, the black contrasts better with the silver incises and hour/minute/seconds hands. It looks incredibly classy, the quality, finish, and design is even more gorgeous in person. You cannot go wrong with the Sarb035 either (I'm honesty contemplating getting the 035 as well, lol even though I'm way over my watch budget this year). In any case, congrats on whatever you end up picking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.