WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last December I managed to get this SARX055 in Japan (it is still not available in France at the time of writing).

At the beginning I had some doubt, because of its nickname "baby snowflake" (I hate buying a watch because it looks like another I can't afford e.g.), but when I open the package and discovered this beauty, I realized this dial had nothing to do with Snow but with Frost :

Then I ask my friend Maxime Peyrache , strap maker and owner of Xamlam, to craft this Ostrich's feet strap for this gorgeous beauty. I found a 18mm Brightz clasp to keep going into the Seiko Spirit ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I can see the lattice of frost in there as well as stucco, either way that is a very nice looking watch, I kinda want to find one myself. I have not seen this model before, but I am a fan now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lovely watch but sold mine as found the face to be a bit too silver and tinfoil like for me plus the blue second hand was very muted in most lighting situations.

That's a great strap you've got it on Sidh!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Beautiful watch and strap combo.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Thanks to a certain YouTuber with delusions of sophistication, the word iconic is thrown around haphazardly like so many dollar bills at the strip club. The SARX055 is great looking watch that is archetypal of the Seiko design language, but I think it is no more iconic than the SARB035, SDGM001, SRP701, or any modern light dial Seiko with dauphine hands and flared lugs. Then again, I’m probably just being an overly academic weenie about what constitutes an icon.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Nice but the dial looks like it's made from asbestos. Not necessarily a bad thing though
It'll protect your wrist from fires. Just don't sniff it...

Reactions: TJ Boogie

·
Registered
354 Posts
Then I ask my friend Maxime Peyrache , strap maker and owner of Xamlam, to craft this Ostrich's feet strap for this gorgeous beauty.
Gorgeous watch. I did not know that ostrich leg looked like this. I only knew normal ostrich leather - rather smooth with bumps where the feathers were.

Thanks to a certain YouTuber with delusions of sophistication, the word iconic is thrown around haphazardly like so many dollar bills at the strip club. (...) Then again, I'm probably just being an overly academic weenie about what constitutes an icon.
I am not sure if an academic approach to "sophistication" will get you anywhere. To me, it is a concept based rather firmly in subjectivity.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
That looks great! I really wish it has the same blue hands as the SARX033.
While I do like blued hands, I'm not quite so sure they'd work with the dial on this one as well as they do with the SARX033 - the SARX055 dial has texture, while the SARX033 is rather more stark (that's not a bad thing: I rather like it). I think the choice to blue only the seconds hand for the SARX055 might have been a good one.

However, to my taste I wish the SARX055 had allowed for longer hands (especially the minute hand). If the minute hand extended as far towards the minute track as that of the SARX033, I might have considered it more seriously. As it is, though, it doesn't pass one of my personal sticking points (which I certainly don't think should bother anyone else).

...Mike

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
I am not sure if an academic approach to "sophistication" will get you anywhere. To me, it is a concept based rather firmly in subjectivity.
It was a tongue-in-cheek comment about being academic in saying what is and isn't an icon, not about sophistication which is indeed subjective. The "delusions of sophistication" was merely an admittedly biased and trollish description of someone who overuses the word icon.

Again, the SARX055 is a beautiful watch but given its design and features, I just don't see it as any more iconic than the dozen iterations of the Seiko Seahorse or Sportsman over the decades. To be an icon, it has to transcend what it is and be solely emblematic or representative of something greater than its original purpose. The Snowflake, Tuna, original Turtle, and the Pogue are icons.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.