WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was amazed how many people liked my gold Movado posted in the March vintage thread so I thought I would tell my story.

I always scan the local watch auction site and came across this 9ct. gold cased Movado so I went to see it.

The dial was in amazing condition for its age with only a ding on the first digit of the 12. Under a loupe there is patina evenly spread all over the dial so I knew that it was not a repainted dial. My watch maker has told me that the dial is silver.
The problem was the condition of the lugs, each had two parallel cuts at right angles on the upper surface and one had a similar cut underneath, no I can't imagine what had done that but perhaps the horrid gold plated expanding bracelet had something to do with it.
The watch wound smoothly and kept ticking all the time as I examined it and I knew a goldsmith who could repair the lugs so I decided to take a punt and my bid of £150 was the highest.

When I got home I could not free the movement from the case. I took it to my watchmaker who freed it and told me that the barrel wheel was rusted onto the case and that if it had been a steel case it would have been more serious. I feared the worst but he removed the rust and treated the wheel to prevent return.

After servicing (no worn out parts), including a new crown, the watch runs at +10s/day.
Meanwhile I took the case for repair which was achived by laser welding.

Two weeks later the movement was cased and a new Hirsch strap fitted.

What I would like to know is when was the M over the watch hands logo first used on Movado dials? The case is hallmarked London 1958 so the watch could have been made about that time. The movement is cal.125 and does not have this trade mark on it.

Perhaps I was lucky but sometimes one just has to take a punt.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Some guys have all the luck. That's a real beauty.

·
Premium Member
12,939 Posts
congrats that is a stunner

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
Congrats, I'm a saver from the scrap piles myself.
It's nice to see the enthusiasm on saving these little gems of days gone by. If these Vintages could only talk-the stories it would tell. Do you have a pic of the mvmnt from the watchmaker?
I for 1 would like to see some b4 & after shots of the case & mvmnt.

Reactions: kurt1962

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats, I'm a saver from the scrap piles myself.
It's nice to see the enthusiasm on saving these little gems of days gone by. If these Vintages could only talk-the stories it would tell. Do you have a pic of the mvmnt from the watchmaker?
I for 1 would like to see some b4 & after shots of the case & mvmnt.
Unfortunately I do not have a photo of the watch in its found state.
I went to see the goldsmith who said he could do an invisable repair and the watchmaker was <50m away so it came together very quickly and these Scottish kelpies work much faster and at a less expensive rate than Swiss elves.
Fourteen days later the watch was as you see it!
I do however have a photo of the movement after rust removal and treatment ( the dark shadowy areas )
It was taken from inside the watchmaker's plastic bag I am afraid, so it is a degraded image.

cal. 125 was made from 1941 to 1961 but some had 15 jewels and no shock protection.
I still want to know when they started to use the M over the watch hands logo on the dial.

Thanks for all the appreciative comments.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
Thanks for the pic.
I'm not sure when they started the M. I love the logo though. (It's the little things for me.) The mvmnt looks to be in pristine condition for it's age.Big score/find IMO.
Is it stamped anywhere w/ the 9k logo or 9ct ? That should give you an idea on age.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See penultimate paragraph : leopard for London, C for 1958.
Coincidentally this is the earliest that I have seen a reference where this logo has been used, perhaps I have one of the early ones.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Nice watch.

The oldest Movado with that logo that I have seen is late 1950's Kingmatic that I had for a few months. Looking on the web, i see a ad for a 1958 Kingmatic with that logo
https://www.bonanza.com/items/like/431831842/movado-ad-1950s-

So my guess the logo started in 1957-1958

I have actually saved a couple of watches from being junked/scrapped. The Crawford is 10ct sold gold and I had this Elgin restored and made attractive again. Yes the redial is a bit off in the subseconds but it looks a whole lot better then it was before.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
After some digging I have discovered that the M over the watch hands ( flat V ?) was registered as a trade mark in the USA in 1958.
When it was registered in Europe is another question.
It appeared on an advert but not on the dial of the watch advertised in 1959.
Some claims are hard to believe e.g. a photo of a watch made in 1950 in the original box which has the new logo on the box.

journeyforce. Thanks for the link to the ads. They confirm the 1958 estimate and are for an English retailer so patent will have applied in Europe at that time. Only inconsistency is that one advert for the Kingmatic from 1958 has the new logo on the ad and the dial while another from 1959 has the logo only on the ad.

This could be explained by the fact that Kingmatic in the 1959 ad is the chronometer version and had remained as unsold stock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts