WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I’m saving up for my first Damasko. Please help me choose between the DC66 SI and DC86. Both are the same size I prefer. Of the two I like the Chrono features on the DC86. It cost a bit more. Which has a better movement between the two?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see. I thought the DC66 SI version may have been equal or a more advanced movement but it makes sense the DC86 has a more advanced movement. It cost more than the SI.

Excellent answer, both are chronographs. I‘d go for the DC86, all in all the more advanced Damasko movement.

·
Moderator at Large
53,636 Posts
It cost more than the SI.
Of course it does, their C51-6 implements more than a 7750 Si. The main technical gimmick is the implementation of a jumping 60-minute hands out of the center the center. That’s something a plain 7750 can’t feature. The more you get, the more you pay.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wasn’t trying to be a smart ass. I had just finished with a high heat pizza cook on my Kamado. I was expounding the virtues of a Chrono to my wife as timing is of utmost importance. She was less than interested but loved the pizza!
In all seriousness the 2 watches you mention are beautiful and you’ll love either. As far as the movement goes. Id buy the one whose face appeals to you most. Maybe even the one that is easiest to read after a pint or 3. My two Damaskos are my two most accurate watches with ETA 2836-2 movements.

·
Registered
795 Posts
DC86. Or any. Damasko's are among the finest. You can also order Damasko's custom built, should you be interested. I have a DK11 and OMG it is one of the finest watches I have ever had the pleasure of owning. Damasko's have amazing technology (many patents,) and for the money, IMHO Damasko's are SEVERELY under-priced for what you get.
(Ooops. Maybe I shoulda kept my mouth shut. Hopefully the fine Damasko family will not read that.)

Reactions: Steeldog

·
Registered
60 Posts
DC86.

I'm going through something similar, insofar as I'm also looking for the right chronograph and the movement is a big part of the answer. My rabbit-hole deep-dive for a tough, attainable mechanical movement has taken me headlong into Lemania 5100 vs Valjoux 775X vs the world (Zenith, JLC, et al), and I've largely come down on the side of the 5100. You can go long with column-wheel vs cam-and-lever or weigh tilting pinions against vertical ones but then you'll end up in the weeds like me.

Not all complications are created equal. An analog chronograph display takes up so much dial real estate that any successful design needs to give that display pride of place. Mechanical chronographs can't be afterthoughts, so any watch with a chronograph should really be regarded as a chronograph watch, first.

The 5100's central hands for chronograph seconds and minutes is the most obvious embodiment of this ideal. You won't have to squint if the chrono has been running for less than an hour, which is probably how most people are using it anyway. Its movement is full of Delrin plastic but guess what? Delrin is really good at the things it's good at, and it's particularly well suited to tool watches that are going to get wailed on.

It's sad that for more than a decade, ETA haven't let you just go out and buy a new 5100-based chrono that you could beat up every day. I like that Damasko went to the trouble of making their own--is anyone surprised?--which couldn't have been inexpensive, and appear to have spruced up the place while they were in there. A DC80 or DC82 may serve your needs better but if you want the full beans, this is it.

Well, actually, it would be a Sinn EZM10, with a 7750 modified to function like a 5100 and with all of the Sinn goodies in a tegimented titanium case. The DC86 is more...honest, perhaps in its approach and execution, though, and is probably the one you should get.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The DC80 and DC86 have center minutes, and it makes reading the minutes SO much easier, in my opinion. So one of those would be my choice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts