WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saw this project while browsing KS and though it rated a mention here. Funding is by no means healthy, and i for one would like to see it funded.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1705597633/taniwha-200m-mechanical-dive-watch-ururoa

I know it's just another diver but there's no arguing the value of a 200m Miyota 9015 diver with sapphire crystal for $200 USD.
Personally think it's great value for a tooly/diver, esp with the various combos available, blue dial/steel bezel is my fave so far.
Bi-directional bezel is an odd choice and may put off a few though, but my Vostoks have them so no issue for me.

Chris

Btw i am in no way affiliated with this project just a consumer.

Reactions: kasemo

·
Registered
180 Posts
Lume is my concern, too. It looks like my Scurfa Diver 1, thinly applied c1, maybe even thinner on this. Interesting that the bezel is bidirectional. I really like how the cueve of the case in the side profile and that they went with 49mm l2l. Price is right, too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is relaunching this month with a few changes I hear
Unfortunately it's looking like they ditched the high beat Miyota 9015 for a Seiko NH35 movement ... such a shame. I suppose they wanted to keep their pricing the same and raise their profit margin; kinda bold for a Kickstarter watch. I guess they were hoping people wouldn't notice.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Unfortunately it's looking like they ditched the high beat Miyota 9015 for a Seiko NH35 movement ... such a shame. I suppose they wanted to keep their pricing the same and raise their profit margin; kinda bold for a Kickstarter watch. I guess they were hoping people wouldn't notice.
That's a shame, I was pretty taken with the stainless bezel with aluminum insert and blue dial combo. That looked like an incredible value

·
Registered
454 Posts
Not affiliated either, and I don't even like the watch. But be careful making assertions about the change of the movement. It's not like a micro can order any numer of movements from Miyota or Seiko anytime. They're sold through agents and prices are not fixed.

Just learned this myself a couple of weeks ago through a post in f71 by Lew & Huey's owner docvail, and in this case it might just be that an old favorable deal for Miyotas could not be renewed and the Seiko is the only solution to be able to still deliver the watch with all other specs at this price.

Why am I defending a watch I know nothing about and I'm not gonna buy? I just don't like instant suspicions that something like this movement change happens only to raise profits or rip people off.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
I made my first international trade with pedro44, here on WUS and we stayed in touch through Facebook. He's hooked me up with a few of his New Zealand friends to buy an Ocean7 LM-3 and Orient Revolver from them.

But anyways, months after our NZ to USA trade (Orca classic for Orca dive) and another watch I sold him (BaliHai GMT), he offers me the privilege to own one and share my opinions with him. What an honor ! I got a free prototype watch that nobody else owns right now and sadly, nobody will own with same 9015 because the manufacturer wanted to charge him a lot more for each Miyota 9015 instead of just charging him the difference between old price and new price, like we would assume they would do.

Here's the first one he sent.

I told him I didn't like the black bezel but that it look good. I prefer SS bezels with black inserts. (Just personal preference)

He then asked me to send it back to deal with manufacturer on some issues and sent me this one to keep.

It's a big honor and privilege for me and I love what he's done. He could've changed the name to something related to Manta Rays because of the awesome crown guards.

And I'm a big fan of the bezel too.

This is a great go-to watch that won't break the bank and it's super versatile to wear with a bunch of straps.

The Taniwha Ururoa gas the dimensions of a Seiko SKX so it's in the sweet spot of a lot of people.

This is not the WOW watch to take out for a special occasion but it makes me wow every time I wear it and look at the details.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.