WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This watch was one of the many Henne pieces, in one of the photos, posted in "Kobold Family Trip".... great thread by the way.

I really like the look of this Phantom with the Croc Band. Appears a little different due to having Numbers instead of Bars and the Bezel seems to be unusual for the Phantom ??

Very cool piece.......

So here's the question? Is the SS/ PVD version on the Phantom a heavy weight vs the Ti? and how does it lay on the wrist for those of you that own it?

The SMG-1 with the same Strap could also work I'd guess.

I enjoy the industrial "Hockey Puck" Ti SEAL I own for my daily work and my "Classic" New Gen Rolex GMT II for more formal business but in some cases I'd like to have less Puck and more "Classic" ... COMBINED

So maybe this is the piece.... a PVD Phantom on the Tan Croc Strap ???

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Here is another shot of that watch from the trip. I think someone else asked about this before and I forgot to reply to them. That watch was technically not listed as a Phantom, but I can't remember what Chad called it. It was Ti and on a leather croc.

To answer your other question, I can tell you that the weight difference of the Ti and SS phantom is quite noticeable. For my personal tastes, I found the Ti watch on a Ti bracelet was too light. I like a little weight to my watches and far preferred the SS version. I was surprised that at Kobold there was a SS Tactical and a Ti Tactical laying next to each other and they were much more difficult to tell apart visually than I would have expected. I thought the Phantom SS Tactical might have been the most impressive watch I looked at, it was perfect it it's weight, look, finish, etc..

Here is another shot of the watch you mentioned in the OP

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi,

It is the PVD version of the retired Safari Rallye Chronograph with the Artic Diver Dial :

1. The professional driver's watch. 2. Navigational tool watch. 3. Tachymeter chronograph.

Features:
· Soarway case
· Domed sapphire crystal
· SuperLuminova-coated hands and dial
· Swiss-made movement
· Produced in 2002-2003​

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
If someone can help me with my photo editing skills, I have several high resolution shots of this watch that I can use to blow up the dial so we can all get a better look, but I don't know how to cut out the image and make that a seperate image. PM me with directions and I will be happy to give us some better dial shots.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spoke to Henne shortly before they closed and he confirms JC's SPECS.

The bezel seems to be fixed and the push buttons are not screw down, did not ask about the Ti.

Must agree with Watches' that heft is a trait I enjoy.

I for one would like to see the additional photos.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JC,
Is it a waterproof watch ???

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
Every Kobold has WR, most being 600 feet with screwdown crown, 100 feet with the crown not screwed down.

The screwdown pushers have nothing to do with the overall WR of a watch.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Can confirm the Ti, one of my photos clearly shows the tag. Says Ti Kobold Tachymeter (sp?) PVD coated

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
Here are some shots of my Phantom on a black Crocodile strap. This is a PVD Titanium phantom and also has non-locking pushers. I prefer it quite a bit to my old Phantom which was PVD Steel with locking pushers.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Hey Vince, that sure is a beauty of a watch. Thanks for meeting us in Pitt and showing us a great place for lunch and the way to the office. I still wish I would have picked up your SS Phantom from you when you sold it.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really hard to follow .............................

It seems the more I learn, the more I don't know, about the Kobolds.

Are the new Phantoms PVD Ti ???? as is yours VJBs ????

What kind of price are the Steel PVD phantoms going for as a fair range?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Re: Really hard to follow .............................

If you check koboldwatch.com, you can see that the regular Phantom Tactical is SS. The new price is a hair under 5k. There is also a Ti version of the Phantom on the site, but is offered without the PVD finish. It is my understanding you can order the Ti Phantom with the PVD finish as well if that is your preference. It is just under 5k without the PVD finish, I am not sure what PVD finish adds to the price.

Used Phantoms are fairly uncommon to come by, and typically are in the 2500-3500 range, depending on condition, what it comes with etc.. Let me see if I have a picture of the two side by side.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
In the Left upper corner/side of this picture is a SS Phantom Tactical, a Ti Phantom Tactical, and a Ti Phantom non PVD. What you can't see is the drool that I had all over the desk while taking this picture :-d

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice to visit them and get ALL the first hand info.

I understand the PVDed SEAL Ti TAC is a little over a grand above the SEAL Ti ......
I'm guessing the PVD, again guessing, that the Ti Phantom PVD is a $K or so over the Reg. Ti................. maybe.

Choices, choices !!! I like it .........

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hello Guys,

When I first saw the PVD Tachymeter Chad said he had Mike special make the watch for to a friend of his to these specifications. Said friend would always say... that Kobold is great, but I want this or that... so Chad took notes and asked Mike to put it together. When the friend saw it he thought it was great, but still didn't buy the watch...go figure. Yes it is alot like the Safari Ralley, But I think this is one of those one of a kinds Mike likes to do. It's a great watch and I'm sure the right person will find it.
Well that's the back story on the watch as told to me by Chad hope this helps those curious minds out there.

Kind regards,

Keith

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
Hey Vince, that sure is a beauty of a watch. Thanks for meeting us in Pitt and showing us a great place for lunch and the way to the office. I still wish I would have picked up your SS Phantom from you when you sold it.
Hey, no problem, it was a nice lunch and good to talk to you guys about watches. As I told you all of my friends think expensive watches are insane so I don't really have anybody to shoot the bull with about them.

I defineately like going to the Kobold office to look around. They always have cool stuff to see. The way I got my Phantom was to inquire with Dan about putting one together that way and they called me a few weeks later and said they could do it so I told them I wanted it and to go ahead and make it.

A few weeks later it was ready. I got it on a Zulu strap and some time after I got it a forum member emailed and asked if I wanted to buy his Titanium PVD bracelet that he did not use and that completed the picture.

Most of the time I wear it on the bracelet but sometimes I like to put it on the Crocodile.

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
In the Left upper corner/side of this picture is a SS Phantom Tactical, a Ti Phantom Tactical, and a Ti Phantom non PVD. What you can't see is the drool that I had all over the desk while taking this picture :-d
Your still too excited as you have forgotten your right from your left!!:-d

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Oops...ACtually, it was a test. I was just trying to seperate out the real fans from the fakers as anyone can tell a Phantom from 18k Soarways right? lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts