WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
How was the movie? Looks pretty intense. Knowing Tom Hanks, I'm sure he did a terrific job.

As for the watch... I looked at a few on-line photos. Unfortunately none are close-up or dead-on. But from what I can see, it looks like your every day run of the mill DW-6900. Nothing glamorous. Sure would have been cool if CASIO won over the producers to have Tom Hanks wear a Rangeman. ;-)

G-Shock_CaptPhillips.jpg

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Movie is INTENSE!! And I'm a ship captain. Phillips and I are in the same officer union, but I've never met him. We work for different companies.

Tom Hanks deserves at least an Oscar nomination. I'll not spoil it anymore than that. Go see it.

I understand and they did NOT use any CG graphics. It's all filmed. And beautifully shot on a real sister ship of the Alabama.
Looked like a ton of US Navy cooperation too.

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gravity is fun too, saw it last week, but in 2D. No Gs in it. Other fancy oversize watches.

Reviewers recommend seeing Gravity in 3D, so I have to go see it again.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I remember 1 or 2 years ago I saw in a news paper ''Tom Hanks filming new movie about Somali pirates...'' or something like that and first thing I noticed was the DW-6900 on his wrist :-d

He couldn't wear Rangeman because it didn't exist few years ago lol

Looking forward to seeing it in near future.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Rangeman is a perfect watch for a sea captain - it could tell him the elevation (zero ft above sea level), and no need to use all that pesky electronic guidance equipment/backup sextant/or look at the sun or stars to determine direction.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I was at the movies to see something else about 6 months ago and they showed previews of Cap Phillips. I spotted the dw6900 on Tom Hanks wrist immediately. I'm going today to see it. It's getting very good reviews so far.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
I also wish Tom Hanks was my dad and Sandra Bullock was my wife.
My version is having Tom Hanks as my brother and Sandra Bullock as my wife! ;-)
Actually, depending upon my current weight, time of the day, and length of haircut, I've at times been said to look like Tom's brother. :-d

Not to OT too much, but when I first saw the previews to Gravity, I rolled my eyes. OK, they ran out of ideas... why not do an Apollo 13 with the International Space Station? Just pick a few stars to draw a crowd and there you go. Hmmmph. But even from the snippets in the trailer, Sandra looks to be making quite an amazing performance. Initial reviews have been terrific. Seems like I'll have to go see it after all. ;-)

Reactions: Crater

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I watched the movie and first thing I noticed about Tom Hanks character once he gets to work on the ship, is he is wearing a G-Shock. I never thought of it being a GW6900 since it looked kind of big, so I assumed it was a Gulfman which I would assume would be a perfect watch being at sea with a watch with a name suited to water useage. Also there is orange lettering which I think I have seen on a Gulfman before. It still doesn't seem like a GW6900 since the lettering is orange and there only looks like 2 eyes on Tom Hanks watch where the GW6900 has 3 eyes.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
^ Actually, the version he appears to be wearing is a DW-6900-1V. The red "G-SHOCK" on the bezel is the key. The other is the "white line" along the bottom of the dial, which up close would read as "< ILLUMINATOR >". The GW-6900 has "Tough Solar" in that place in non-bold font, difficult to see from a distance.

DW-6900-1V.jpg

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Well that is interesting, I would think Tom Hanks being a captain would be able to afford the solar / atomic version of the 6900 and seems weird he would limit himself to a cheaper model.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Went and saw the movie earlier, Tom Hanks is wearing a dw6900. His chief engineer is wearing a G also but I couldnt tell which model. The band is a double tang band that looks like a g9000 or similar mudman. Alot of the navy guys have G's also.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
as I am interested in rainforests and their research,i remember seeing a bbc documentary film guy wearing g shocks in his search in amazon.the guy was in insect research sciences.they identified some new species also in their research.i remember thinking than that a gshock is at its true home in this rainforest with 100 percent humidity ,constant rain and mud.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Just got home from whatching Captain Phillips, brought to you by G-Shock. I saw so many models but really could only identify Tom Hank's DW6900 as well as not knowing the model number but saw one from Walmart.

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^ Actually, the version he appears to be wearing is a DW-6900-1V. The red "G-SHOCK" on the bezel is the key. The other is the "white line" along the bottom of the dial, which up close would read as "< ILLUMINATOR >". The GW-6900 has "Tough Solar" in that place in non-bold font, difficult to see from a distance.

View attachment 1249068
Yup, I think you nailed it. That looks like the watch for sure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts