WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this behemoth turned up this morning so I thought it would be nice to post a couple of quick pics before I ran off to work.

First impressions are good it does exactly what I want and is a massive very unique watch and the closest I will ever come to a corum bubble. Only one little downer so far in the hour I have owned it is the strap is very short I have 8" wrists and am on the very last strap hole I would like a new strap but as the strap is made to fit the watch I don't know were to find one any help would be much appreciated. I will post some better pics and do a more in depth review later when I have had more chance to were the watch.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
yowzer that crystal is big...

can't wait for a more comprehensive review

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can you post of pic of the lugs? It'd be easier to help look for a strap if we knew how the strap is made to fit.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Very cool watch!
I have the same problem with my Tao multifonctions, strap is to short!
Even in the last hole...luckily, it's a "regular" strap.
Good luck and again, nice watch!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm back from work now and the watch has behaved very well all day and it has drawn a lot of comments (mainly what on earth is that) one thing is my sister now wants one after I let her try mine on It was comedy massive on her but she likes it. The distortion of the dial by the crystal makes it look like the dial is painted on the crystal its a strange effect. the watch is very well made and the case is finished beautifully I cannot see a flaw on the whole watch. The watch winds very smoothly and the hands set easily with no play or slipping. Setting the watch was a bit of a pain as there are no markers what so ever so setting the time at anything but on the hour, half past ,quarter past or quarter to is a bit of a guess but the watch seems so far to be nice and accurate as in 10 hours it is still spot on with my time source. I will put some more pics up tomorrow as its a bit dark now. A normal strap would fit this watch but would leave a gap between the case and the strap that is now filled by an extension to the strap (on this strap the spring bar sits about 1/2 inch down the straps length and the strap thickens past it and sits flush with the case with no gap so any strap I get to replace this one needs to have the same arrangement to still look the same and I have never seen one for sale) I will post some pics tomorrow and in the mean time see if any one sells replacement corum bubble straps that may fit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Very cool watch!
I like it!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I'm now wondering if Martin has ever met a watch he didn't like ;-)

I think I like it :)
Hope to see more pictures soon!

Regards,

Martin

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
I'm now wondering if Martin has ever met a watch he didn't like ;-)
:-d

I know it's more or less rhetorical, but I'll bite anyway.

There are plenty watches I do not like. But I have a very broad taste.
To give an example, I think the Seiko Monster one of the ugliest watches ever made (and I know a lot of people disagree ;-)) Also, everything with shiny rocks on it will never be worn by me.

This bubble watch is certainly one in the category "interesting". It's on my 'consider' list, which always contains 10+ sub $100 watches :-d As I at least buy one of these a month, this list is continuously shifting.

Regards,

Martin

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,147 Posts
I look forward to seeing more photos, Balla.

So far, I think it's beautiful.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Hey, Balla,
Mine came in yesterday, too! I'm also enjoying the heck out of mine - it's on-wrist now as a matter of fact. I'll try to post some pics of mine as well, if you don't mind me glomming on to your thread. I've got a couple "issues", but they're small.

Clair

·
Registered
198 Posts
Brilliant, Balla, but where did you get it? Can't see anything like it at http://www.taowatch.com/, where they have some seriously smooth-looking watches. Nicely done website, too, apart from the fact that most of the introductory images in the collection don't show up in my browser, so that I had to click on each empty rectangle to see what it was about.

You certainly know how to whet our appetite, with just that one pic... :)

Cheers, Harry

·
Registered
60 Posts
It certainly is an interesting conversation piece. Have you had an issues dinging it as you go around a corner? Maybe I am just a klutz, but I occasionally hit my chunkier watches on the corner. That seems like it would be too big "target" for my left wrist to handle.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks guys I promise I will post some more pics at the weekend when I am at home during daylight hours. Harry the watch came from ebay seller uswatchshop who is the only supplier of this watch I can find as he is tao international. I have had no problems yet with dinging the watch and I have been wearing it whilst at school for 2 days now with kids barging past me and randomly opening doors etc the crystal appears to be a solid lump of glass and the watch is certainly heavy enough to back this up it is one of the heaviest watches I own. TicTocTach I don't mind at all infact because I am such a lousy photographer it would be a bonus, By the way what issues do you have with the watch as my only one is the stupidly short strap for such a large watch but having said that The strap is slowly easing up a bit and becoming better to live with.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Hey, Balla,
I took a pile of pictures last night, but I am having some access issues to my web site so I can't upload them all yet. I'll tack a couple on to this post and update after I get my photos properly uploaded.

Impressions - basically the same as yours, it's a great, interesting watch that's a bit top-heavy on a leather strap. The strap barely fits my 7.75" wrist as well, so I ditched the stock strap (with wedge-shaped ends) and installed a 24mm strap I made for one of my Pam homage pieces. Fits the watch well, and the gap left is totally OK in my book. I'll end up cutting the wedge out of the stock strap and making my own, I think. Otherwise, polish, fit, and finish are great, and the skeleton movement is well-done. Lume is so-so, but I can't get a good photo of it yet. This watch is REALLY hard to photograph!

Issues - I think my bubble has a bubble... under the light box lights, I think I found a tiny bubble in the crystal. Can't tell for sure, so I'll end up taking it apart to verify. I think I also see some sort of fiber under the case back. It touches the rotor as it swings around, so it'll have to come out, too. Minor issue - the case back appears to be a snap back. Boo-hiss, I wanted a screw-back case. Oh, well. I'm sure I'll still wear this watch all week. b-) :p

Clair

Attachments

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hi TicTocTach cheers for the photos. I Will have to try a thick 24mm strap and see how I like it sure I have one kicking about. I am also loving this watch you are right about it being top heavy it reminds me of a weeble The watch always wants to sit on its crystal. I think its my favorite watch of the moment as it is so pretty yet weird looking. Warlock110 I also had major reservations about telling the time on this watch but its not a problem once the watch is set and is as easy to read to the minute as any other watch with few of little markers eg panerai and a lot easier than my parnis jump hour.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts