WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Banned
3,257 Posts
That's a good point, and I know that my opinion of how much an added feature is worth is subjective. Personally, the Monster and Sumo seem like very different watches to me. The SBDC007 just doesn't seem to offer much more than the SBDA to me, and has in fact become a lot less distinctive and desirable in some ways. I have been disheartened by the release of the new Tunas too, I feel like Seiko is positioning itself out of my reach. At this rate I'll only be able to buy one Seiko a year before too long.
I think you are on to something there actually. I have been thinking of this watch as a timepiece with sharp styling and a durability factor previously out of my range, but desireable in a dive watch. But if Seiko fails to backfill market vacancies like the SBDA, indeed that is a shame.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Im at a loss as to why people dont like the hands, simply because of the association with a cheaper watch.

"They are AWESOME on my $150 dollar monster, but not on a $1000 dollar seiko!"

Doesnt make sense to me, the monster hands are becoming a trademark, and I love the look of them. I ESPECIALLY like the look of them on this watch. They add a dynamic flair to the "classic dive watch" look with its boring stick minute hand and mercedes hour hand. And don't forget, its got my favorite second hand ever designed, the MM300 second hand.

This watch in particular moves me simply because the heft, masculinity and the bezel especially do it for me, PLUS its a HIGH-BEAT automatic. After owning a eta 2893 I could never go back to a 21000 beat movement, simply because of the difference in the sweep.

Im ranting, but Im glad seiko made an awesome looking diver similar to my favorite seiko of all time, the ska371, but an AUTO. Id rather have this one then a sumo and 2 monsters, this one has presence. Im all over this one.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Agree with you on all but one point. It's not a high beat movement, and I couldn't care less. My pocket watch is like 15,000bph, and it is magic to watch and hear it click and clunk away. I don't care if my second hand ticks once or 5 times every second.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Im at a loss as to why people dont like the hands, simply because of the association with a cheaper watch.

"They are AWESOME on my $150 dollar monster, but not on a $1000 dollar seiko!"

Doesnt make sense to me, the monster hands are becoming a trademark, and I love the look of them. I ESPECIALLY like the look of them on this watch. They add a dynamic flair to the "classic dive watch" look with its boring stick minute hand and mercedes hour hand. And don't forget, its got my favorite second hand ever designed, the MM300 second hand.

This watch in particular moves me simply because the heft, masculinity and the bezel especially do it for me, PLUS its a HIGH-BEAT automatic. After owning a eta 2893 I could never go back to a 21000 beat movement, simply because of the difference in the sweep.

Im ranting, but Im glad seiko made an awesome looking diver similar to my favorite seiko of all time, the ska371, but an AUTO. Id rather have this one then a sumo and 2 monsters, this one has presence. Im all over this one.
I dont like the hands on that watch because they are to me, so quintessentially Monster! When I see those hands I think of the Monster. The watch is obviously a beautifully crafted piece as we saw in the other thread with the fellow who bought one, so I think Seiko can design some unique hands for it and not be lazy.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
...This watch in particular moves me simply because the heft, masculinity and the bezel especially do it for me, PLUS its a HIGH-BEAT automatic. After owning a eta 2893 I could never go back to a 21000 beat movement, simply because of the difference in the sweep...
Are talking about the same model? This watch is made out of titanium. It is not heavy at all, in fact it is very light in weight. Also the 6r15 movement in it is NOT a High Beat movement.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Cubbie I don't know what you meant by this post, but that sounds dirty and wrong!

I am having an unnatural love affair with this watch right now, but I can sssure you it is neither heavy nor high beat.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts

SO WHAT WOULD BE THE NICKNAME FOR THIS ONE??
:think::think: ??

how about the AIG, or the Enron, or the KY jelly.... for 1k you sure will feel like you got violated :-!
and the 6r15 needs a load of improvement before I get all weak in the knees for it, all the ones I have put on my timing machine were just not that much better than the 7s26. Just cuz it looks like a swiss movement doesn't make it run like one!

·
Banned
3,257 Posts
In my book, this sentiment completely ignores the fact that a finish might have value. The Brightz Ti/Dia-shield finish on this watch is phenomenal. I have not picked up so much as a hairline clasp mark with unpampered wear. Try that with normal Ti. The finish is remarkable and insanely durable...earning this watch a nick that seems to be catching on: The Shogun. And this is my third 6r15 to run within +2 sec/day out of the box. I have NEVER had an eta 2824 hit that from the manufacturer.

Just because it says "Swiss Made" doesn't mean it won't be an ugly scratch magnet in a month. I will still take this sleek, sexy design with a heart built on a movement with a history of going 25 years without service, over another bloated, uninspired chunk case that happens to house a 2824:

how about the AIG, or the Enron, or the KY jelly.... for 1k you sure will feel like you got #$%^ed in the @## :-!
and the 6r15 needs a load of improvement before I get all weak in the knees for it, all the ones I have put on my timing machine were just not that much better than the 7s26. Just cuz it looks like a swiss movement doesn't make it run like one!

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Ok - your call! It was the comment implying that Swiss movements are somehow superior that riled me the most! I have edited my post to be less harsh. Perhaps you could edit where you have quoted me to also be less harsh?

·
Banned
3,257 Posts
Yup. I like a good exchange of ideas and even a nice argument from time to time. But I can tell by the little hairs on end on the back of my neck that it was about to become...uhm...nonproductive

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I can't help but wonder if you guys belong to some 6r15 cult or get paid to parrot Seiko 6r15 propaganda?

I would have to put that Ti finish to the test myself before I would believe there was 1k worth of value in it but durability of the finish certainly makes up a large share of the value of the watch. I can't argue aesthetics, it's a sweet looking watch.

As far as Seiko's having a history of going 25 years without service that is more propaganda, it is much more accurate to say people neglect them for 25 years before they are so worn out that they simply wont' run anymore.

My WWII bumper Omega is over 60 years old and it's never been serviced though it's on it's last leg needing to be manually wound and not winding on it's own any longer, doesn't mean I'm going to brag about how little care has gone into the watch.

I didn't mean to generically imply that Swiss movements were superior.
I should have just said a chronometer grade 2824 is the benchmark that I use with my timing machine to measure the performance of all of my watches at least half of which are Citizen, Seiko, and Orient.

I've heard tales of Seiko's that run nice but never seen it myself, I've seen a few Orients that come pretty close to "running nice" and Citizen doesn't make a mid level auto to compare to but of the 80 or so Orients and Seiko's I have the Orients have a better "out of the box" running condition.

To be fair I only have two 6r15's and I've only timed four different ones and that is not a very big sampling to make harsh judgments from but I only have my own experience to go by.

When I judge the accuracy of a movement I check it for speed, beat error, and positional error (how much speed, and beat error changes at different positions)

My experience with the 7s26 and 6r15 leads me to conclude that even though the 6r15 is more expensive to build and looks like a more expensive movement it simply does not out perform the 7s26 by any large amount to warrant getting very excited about it. If the 6r15 ran as well as a 2824 running at 21,600 the 6r15 would be a fantastic value but it doesn't it just looks like it should run as well so I am pretty sure I'm being sold a bill of goods.

You're supposed to get riled up I'm trying to understand this devotion to 6r15 seikos, I get in the same trouble talking about my Sumo too :-d

There is a difference between nonproductive and heated discussion, as long as we can avoid devolving into terrible name calling it's all good, Besides Gabe's spidey sences will tingle before we get out of line!

I just love being the devils advocate! :-d

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
I don't know about Cubbie, but Seiko pays me to talk up the 6r15. And quite handsomely, too!

·
Banned
3,257 Posts
Now we're talking! I am all about hashing it out so here goes:

First off, I am not exclusively in any watch camp. I have enjoyed Omega, Sinn, Seiko, Breitling, Hamilton, Marathon and others. I have experienced a wide variety of finishes, from affordables to luxury. It is only my opinion, but I am very impressed at the level of finish and protection on this piece. To be fair, I have only ever owned one other titanium piece. It scratched easily and regularly.

As for the 6r15 cult, I guess I am indeed a member. I only have incidental evidence, and I definitely have no method for timing a watch other than noting the sort of accuracy it maintains day to day in my pattern of use. I do have a Valjoux 7750 that keeps +1, but even my COSC Tag with its version of a 2824 was around +4. I know they can be regulated and I know some manufacturers take greater pains than others in doing so. I also know that my past three 6r15's kept either +1 or +2 with no tinkering, no need to open the case. Just a plain old Seiko churning out a tight movement.

You might be right about me swallowin a line on the 25 yr thing. Indeed, I have not owned a Seiko auto movement for that long and am going on what others have said. I will admit I was not speaking from personal experience and will concede that as a point.

I can't help but wonder if you guys belong to some 6r15 cult or get paid to parrot Seiko 6r15 propaganda?

I would have to put that Ti finish to the test myself before I would believe there was 1k worth of value in it but durability of the finish certainly makes up a large share of the value of the watch. I can't argue aesthetics, it's a sweet looking watch.

As far as Seiko's having a history of going 25 years without service that is more propaganda, it is much more accurate to say people neglect them for 25 years before they are so worn out that they simply wont' run anymore.

My WWII bumper Omega is over 60 years old and it's never been serviced though it's on it's last leg needing to be manually wound and not winding on it's own any longer, doesn't mean I'm going to brag about how little care has gone into the watch.

I didn't mean to generically imply that Swiss movements were superior.
I should have just said a chronometer grade 2824 is the benchmark that I use with my timing machine to measure the performance of all of my watches at least half of which are Citizen, Seiko, and Orient.

I've heard tales of Seiko's that run nice but never seen it myself, I've seen a few Orients that come pretty close to "running nice" and Citizen doesn't make a mid level auto to compare to but of the 80 or so Orients and Seiko's I have the Orients have a better "out of the box" running condition.

To be fair I only have two 6r15's and I've only timed four different ones and that is not a very big sampling to make harsh judgments from but I only have my own experience to go by.

When I judge the accuracy of a movement I check it for speed, beat error, and positional error (how much speed, and beat error changes at different positions)

My experience with the 7s26 and 6r15 leads me to conclude that even though the 6r15 is more expensive to build and looks like a more expensive movement it simply does not out perform the 7s26 by any large amount to warrant getting very excited about it. If the 6r15 ran as well as a 2824 running at 21,600 the 6r15 would be a fantastic value but it doesn't it just looks like it should run as well so I am pretty sure I'm being sold a bill of goods.

You're supposed to get riled up I'm trying to understand this devotion to 6r15 seikos, I get in the same trouble talking about my Sumo too :-d

There is a difference between nonproductive and heated discussion, as long as we can avoid devolving into terrible name calling it's all good, Besides Gabe's spidey sences will tingle before we get out of line!

I just love being the devils advocate! :-d

81 - 100 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.