WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any Grand Seiko quartz diver owners out there post some direct comparison pics with a sumo, shogun, or MM300? If not pics, I'd also appreciate any ownership experiences that you could share.

I was just made aware of these two models for the first time recently and my pants were blown off at first sight. I may have found my next watch!

It ticks all my boxes:
- Tough and amazing quartz movement like a tuna, but in a dressy diver. I love autos, but respect quality quartz too.
- No worries about SD servicing, nor the SD price tag.
- Clean dial. Usually I like having a date, but not having date and PR indicators works here.
- GS finish!
- Reasonably thin with curved lugs, I hope it wears like a sumo. Thickness was a personal deal breaker for the MM300.
- Epic lume, as per usual Seiko standards.

I have not had a chance to see it in person, but I'm leaning heavily towards the white dial SBGX115 due to the GS creamy sheen, lack of white dials in my collection, and partially because I feel black dials feel too generic. The bezel font doesn't bother me (it's quirky like that on the Sumo, I like that) and neither does the smaller crown, so that's two of the common complaints out of the way.

Price looks a bit steep at MSRP, but looking at recent resale prices and the apparent hate these GS quartz models seem to attract, I'm optimistic a good deal will pop up at some point. I won't be ready to buy for at least a year or two but I'm scouting my options. Never thought I'd go outside my $1000 limit comfort zone (let alone on a quartz!), but it's shouting pretty loudly at me; the bug strikes again!

Thanks in advance,
- Mike

Reactions: Domo

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Can't help you with pics, but you've got fine taste. If I could magically swap one of my Grand Seikos, it'd be my SBGX091 with an SBGX115. I think they look fantastic!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mark, the GS SBGX really is wonderful. I bought my watch last year and I wear it nearly every day. I have a suspicion that you're not going to find many watches for sale by owners that have lost their enthusiasm for the watch. I believe the "hate" for the bezel font was an initial mob reaction and it is an aspect of the watch that will actually count in its favour in the future with respect to its desirability.

So what is there to like about the watch? In a word, everything. The quality on all levels is second to none. This can satisfy a theoretical one watch requirement because it is suitable for every conceivable occasion. A beautiful, dressy tool watch. And it is just so accurate. I really do need an accurate watch for my job - not all the time, but their are occasions when mere seconds count. So, I fly, swim, snorkel and dive with it. I also ride my motorbike with it. I wouldn't want to wear a mechanical watch riding a boxer on gravel and dirt. The SBGX is expensive, but I truly don't have any qualms wearing it for anything that my lifestyle throws at it. I'm not sentimental and as I'm ageing I'm becoming more cynical, but this watch gives me a very warm feeling, the kind you can describe as "love" when referring to inanimate objects.

The pictures: the glamour shot on the pool deck; in its designed-for environment; in my office; the bike. You'll appreciate that I don't have a picture of the watch while riding... I don't do formal functions - the closest I get to dressy clothes is wearing a (blue) long sleeved shirt to church and I've had people commenting on how beautiful the watch looks.

I trust this helps, Ian

SBGX115-c_zpsdmtpgat2.jpg SBGX115-b_zpst3ua4ame.jpg SBGX115-a_zpsnzmxs411.jpg SBGX115-d_zpseyzuggbw.jpg

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great shots, Ian. Thank you very much!

One of the aspects of the white dial that somewhat concerned me initially was the legibility of the hands and markers - in some review pics the markers and hands reflected overhead light and somewhat disappeared into the dial, but clearly not the case in real world use.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Buying a matching GS BMW is a bit of an overkill, but anyway sweet watch!! :)
That crisp white dial.....And I love the GS diver indices. The shape and size is perfect and they have so much depth and and dimension.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Great shots, Ian. Thank you very much!

One of the aspects of the white dial that somewhat concerned me initially was the legibility of the hands and markers - in some review pics the markers and hands reflected overhead light and somewhat disappeared into the dial, but clearly not the case in real world use.
My pleasure. I initially leaned towards the black dial version because I was also under the impression that the white dial may suffer from a lack of legibility. As you've surmised, that is definitely not the case. In fact, this is the most legible watch I've owned. The lume is something to behold too. You walk into a room that's just a bit dimly lit and it immediately comes out to play. I must add that the bracelet is excellent and the diver's extension works very well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Buying a matching GS BMW is a bit of an overkill, but anyway sweet watch!! :)
That crisp white dial.....And I love the GS diver indices. The shape and size is perfect and they have so much depth and and dimension.
Ha ha Domo, that's an excellent observation! I have to confess that I never picked up on it - I can't believe that I missed something so obvious. I usually refer to the BMW in my native tongue so the pronunciation is different, but I can't explain away those blooming large letters emblazoned on the side of the bike! I can see a few lame jokes about the bike and my watches in the future...

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't notice the GS on the bike either, I was busy zooming in thinking the watch was somewhere in the picture :-d

Excited to hear the lume is excellent as expected, I live for lume! I saw some pics in a sponsor's post and the white dial made it even better by reflecting more light from under the hands and off the edges inside, just beautiful.

I'm still left wondering what the bezel is made of. Looks like ceramic, though Seiko has spoken nothing of it and some have suggested it's a DLC coated insert. Also not sure of how much the bracelet tapers at the clasp, 22mm to 20mm, or to 18mm like the MM300?

·
Registered
79 Posts
The bezel is not ceramic. "Black DLC coating" is probably the most accurate description, as mentioned in your post. It seems pretty scratch resistant - mine is still pristine. It looks great and I suspect it would be a good deal cheaper to replace compared to a ceramic bezel.

The bracelet tapers to 18 mm.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bezel is not ceramic. "Black DLC coating" is probably the most accurate description, as mentioned in your post. It seems pretty scratch resistant - mine is still pristine. It looks great and I suspect it would be a good deal cheaper to replace compared to a ceramic bezel.

The bracelet tapers to 18 mm.
Great to hear the bezel holds up well, and the taper is 18mm. The ratcheting clasp is awesome but I fear it may be too beefy for desk diving, in which case if the links aren't too thick, a sumo/monster/OEM diver's fliplock should hopefully fit as needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts