WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this watch? I am curions about it and for the price 60-70 bucks a 300M diver seems like a steal, especailly with the PVD coating.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
For the Money they are great beaters and the PVD is pretty good, I have beaten the P*** out of them over the years and they still look fairly new.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Stay away form the MWC version as they are crap by all accounts, the real deal is made by CWC, however they are not worn by the SBS:)

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Stay away form the MWC version as they are crap by all accounts, the real deal is made by CWC, however they are not worn by the SBS:)
The SBS CWC is nothing special considering it is way over priced for what you get, so as a beater go the cheap route IMO Unless it's prestige CWC snob factor you seek then the Cabot is the way to go|>

Rays SBS version ETA 2824 for approx 100 _ 150 now thats a great deal IMO

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Speaking of SBS Divers, does anyone know anything about KHS, specifically their Mission Timer 2? My need for glow tubes in my next watch has got me intrigued.. :think:

·
Registered
977 Posts
I would also like to try the Mission timer, as i'm also a big fan of tritium
tubes. As far as the "SBS" style watch , I own several cheapies, some from Ray from the "bay" and an MWC, i think the case style fits well and is a classic, you also can't go wrong with the price. So far i've never had any water resistance or timing issues, and i use this at work and in the water all the time!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Speaking of SBS Divers, does anyone know anything about KHS, specifically their Mission Timer 2? My need for glow tubes in my next watch has got me intrigued.. :think:

Although I'm not familiar with the KHS line, since you're in the USA, you might consider the Luminox 8401. I have several tritium tube watches and it's my favorite.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Nice Luminox! B-) I'll have to check into that one as well..

But, you know what, the more that I look at that KHS, the more that I want one! :) The dial, the hands, it's just sooo luscious! :p

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hey what do you guys think of the watches from Smith & Wesson? They use tritium tubes and are cheap. I was looking at a few but wanted to see opinions others have of it. Thanks.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I had one of the Smith & Wessons a couple of years ago (a titanium one bought off eBay) and I just didn't like the quality....the Luminox or the Trasers are made much better.

·
Registered
491 Posts
CWC's and the clones are good watches...

...Though as Shane points out, the price differential between the CWC's and the clones is pretty large. The CWC's are true military contract watches, and have to meet or exceed the Ministry of Defence's specifications, while the clones do not, though many in fact can (read below). From a collector standpoint, an issued "SBS" (and they are still issued to UK special forces, including SAS, SRR, SBS, and others) is far more desireable (and rare) than either an unissued CWC or a clone. The CWC's while overpriced (the MOD doesn't pay anywhere near what they list for with Silverman's) is a solid, reliable Swiss-made dive watch with quality ETA quartz movement.

With the help of a good friend, I've been running a test since late this summer using one of the 'Ray' SBS clone divers. It's one that Jeff the WatchDude customized, replacing the base '0' jewel quartz ETA movement with a very nice 7 jewel ETA quartz movement, a nicer version of what CWC actually uses in their MOD divers. Watch was pressure tested after the movement installation. My friend in the UK loaned the watch out to two buddies, the first who took it for a month through urban combat training prior to deployment to Iraq, the second a raider boat instructor (SBS craft) who also used it for a month, including combat training dives below 70 metres (230 feet?). It came out of all that without a scratch, keeping time dead on. The watch went to Afghanistan on a short deployment, and will go back with my friend again in Feburary. I'm told that every one who has worn the watch has loved it, and asked if they might buy it, though it will stay with my friend after this next deployment.

Mahalo,

andy

·
Registered
412 Posts
CWC SBS Divers are not issued to the SBS or any other of the UKSF branches,so although great watches dont fall for the hype, they may well have been when they were first designed in limited numbers so CWC can make those statments, however they are no longer issued, also the Rigid Raider Mk2 is used by the whole of the RM, SB use large black ribs which are awesome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts