WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings and happy holidays to all on this very helpful forum!

I was shopping today and came across a store that imported Schauer watches from Germany. Recognising the brand as being mentioned in the same category as Stowa often on these forums, I excitedly went in to inquire about the Prodiver range, which I really want to get!

The owner, to my surprise, had never heard of Stowa or any Prodiver range of watches so I was a bit confused at the point of time.
The Schauer watches in the shop quite appealing though and on the back of one of them, I saw a website address: www.schauer-germany.com

I got home, did a quick web search and indeed found the website with the picture of Jorg Schauer on it, with links to the Stowa website.

Now my question is, is the Schauer and Stowa brand one and the same, or was the owner of the shop misinformed?

Also, if they are indeed the same brand by the same manufacturer, why is there a huge majority of Stowa watches (Eg. Prodiver, Seatime etc) discussed here as compared to the Schauer watches?

Thank you for helping me clear up the confusion!

S

·
0 Posts
Schauer and Stowa are made by Jörg Schauer but they are far away from being the same. The Schauer watches which are top notch are produced in a quantity of 500 per year (some more some less) and represent the Top Line of Jörg.

Stowa provides an overall good quality and value and are available online only which is very interesting regarding the price point. Schauer watches are available at authorized dealers only and cost (about) three times more.

Both, Schauer and Stowa, are fabricated with a watchmaker´s heart and soul. That´s what both brands have in common. But they both play in another league.
Stowa became a great success in the last years, that may have caused that Schauer watches got less attention here, but we have some proud owners of Schauer watches too here on WUS, haven´t we Andrzej ?

Regarding the shop owner I´d say he isn´t informed very well at least.

Some background:

Jörg SCHAUER was born in 1968 in Altensteig/Black Forrest so maybe his enthusiasm for watches is caused by a special gene. 1990 he established his own business, within 5 years he produced over 400 timepieces. 1995 the brand SCHAUER was launched. In 1996 he purchased the brand and marketing rights of “STOWA” (which in former times was: Walter Storz, Pforzheim).
In 2000 and 2002 he got the “Uhren-Magazin” award “Goldene Unruhe”.

In 2000 this award was given to the “Kleine Schauer” (Little Schauer), 2002 to the “Edition 9”. This year Jörg SCHAUER he added “DUROWE” (former: “Deutsche Uhrenrohwerke”, Pforzheim) to his “collection” of brands; see www.durowe.com.

The SCHAUER production facility is located in a small village in the Black Forrest called Engelsbrand and about 10 minutes to drive from Pforzheim, one of the former German watch making centres.

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the quick reply Mike, that was certainly informative!

Would I be correct to say that both Schauer and Stowa watches are manufactured in the same facility? I am very much looking forward to visiting the factory the next time I come to Germany.

And you're right, the Schauer watches I saw today were very well made, and one of the models even had the "Arthur" mesh bracelet fitted on it, I've read reviews and seen pictures here on the forum, but in real life, the thing is a beast!

It costs more than some watches that I own though, so price wise, not an option for me now, but fantastic bracelet nonetheless that I will keep in mind for a long long time!

Oh and regarding the shop owner, didn't know anything about the mesh either, sigh.

·
Registered
678 Posts
As Mike suggests there are many very proud owners here of both Schauer and Stowa - pleased with the price, the quality, and best of all the service.

Jorg and his team cannot do enough for you - whatever watch or price point. I have watches that he has personalised, and others where he has modified.

So far 6 Schauer watches, and 4 Stowas, and others on order:-!
Whilst 3 of the Stowas were bought new, only the Icarus was bought secondhand. With the Schauers only 1 was bought new, and all the others at very good prices (including an Artur bracelet) off sales corner.

S

·
0 Posts
Hey thanks for the quick reply Mike, that was certainly informative!

Would I be correct to say that both Schauer and Stowa watches are manufactured in the same facility? I am very much looking forward to visiting the factory the next time I come to Germany.
Yep.

And you're right, the Schauer watches I saw today were very well made, and one of the models even had the "Arthur" mesh bracelet fitted on it, I've read reviews and seen pictures here on the forum, but in real life, the thing is a beast!
What can I say more :-d

Oh and regarding the shop owner, didn't know anything about the mesh either, sigh.
Well, I don´t know him but one is for certain: There are different ways to sell watches.................

Some nice reports to read:

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=1456&highlight=visit#post1456

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=64870&highlight=visit#post64870

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=33154&highlight=visit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts