WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you bought a watch out of love for Science Fiction? I have! I spent a lot!

I have loved Frank Herbert's Dune since high school. I learned many truths about the world through Herbert. I bought the Sinn U1 - Desert because of my love for Science Fiction. Here is my Dune with custom straps.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The best truth he ever wrote was the litany of fear:

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
Bg fan of sci-fi..usually watches are not heavily advertised besides in the 70s/80s in movies like the original Alien and Aliens.

At that time the stylists had a more creative approach and the film makers were trying to fill every details of a frame with something vero-simile, so in Alien they wrapped up two Casios to make the futuristic wristwatches of the Nostrom crew:

Alien-Nostromo-Crew-Wristwatch-2.jpg

In Aliens of course we have those:

c93a245e0cdda7ab9a40b3ac.jpg

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Have you bought a watch out of love for Science Fiction?
Well, sort of. I wanted something that carried some Star Wars spirit (in my opinion), so I got the parts for a Parnis 44mm pilot watch and modified the dial with a genuine slice of meteorite iron. In addition, I brushed the middle of the strap to match the black / steel colors of case and dial.

Space_Pilot_r02.jpg

Space_Pilot_r01.jpg

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn. I work too much. Thank you Orex. I wish I could sit back and read. I work too damn much. I have to buy watches that remind me of fiction. Watches make me happy.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The litany of fear changed my life. I understood what who animals were at 17. I am in to watches because I look for creativity. I have learned mental mathematics because computers are poor.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seek freedom and be captive of desire... discipline and liberty. That is Martin Luther, himself, through Mr. Herbert. Thank you!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ffritz,

Yo! How did you get meteorite? And does your name come from Wizards by Ralph Bakshi? Your watch is dope!

·
Registered
8,934 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was born in the 80's. I can't leave. That was Science Fiction's last stand. Defeated by the Dark Side of Star Wars, it was. Star Trek: New Gen held on for a while. All I had, though, was literature to keep my mind going. Dune.

·
Premium Member
9,336 Posts
For that Sinn, you need a true Dune strap.

Color: well, the color of melange is kinda up in the air. I think burnt orange; checking, another description is dark reddish brown.
Texture: THIS is the key. Lizard probably gives the kind of texture I'd associate with sandworms, while also possibly being available in the right color. Red-brown python would be cool, but I've never seen anything close.

But that's cool...I like that you found something that hits some good notes for a good sci-fi watch, rather than going some tawdry marketing tie-in. I don't have such a piece, but if I ever choose to go with a custom dial, sci-fi or fantasy themes would be one option. I've never really seen something that triggered the connection as you found with the Sinn, in a standard release.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Not yet. I've been waiting for someone to make a watch worthy of this movie character

There's always next year at basel to see if a watch with an atomic bomb suicide device and and wrist blade is introduced.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts