WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wasn't paying attention yesterday when I took off my watch and (tungsten) wedding ring and put them both in the same front pocket of my pants. Unsurprisingly, when I put the watch back on I discovered some ugly scratches on the side of the lower left lug:

Fortunately, I did not panic. When I got home I grabbed the trusty Scotchbrite green pad and very gently brushed the scratch right off:

The Pelagos' titanium is pretty soft, but the brushed finish is easy to restore as long and the scratches are not deep.

I'll be more careful next time I put my watch in my pocket!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Nice steady hand. Brushing looks straight. I tuned up my wife's scratched bracelet on the weekend and used a guide to keep the strokes straight. If you did this freehand that's impressive.

What did you use to protect the adjacent polished edge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Pelagos is all brushed so I didn't have to worry about polished edges. I just used the pad very gently and checked progress every couple of strokes. The finish on this watch is pretty forgiving, I think.

Nice steady hand. Brushing looks straight. I tuned up my wife's scratched bracelet on the weekend and used a guide to keep the strokes straight. If you did this freehand that's impressive.

What did you use to protect the adjacent polished edge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Great job. For that particular area of a watch I often find placing the Scotchbrite pad flat on a counter (I use rubberized drawer liner under it to keep it from sliding) and move the watch over it. This helps me keep even pressure over the full curve. It is not useful on the crown side. As a note because the Pelagos bezel overhands the edge of the watch the above technique may not work for the Pelagos, unless you do it on the edge of the countertop with a 90 degree edge so you can have the bezel off the side.

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Man, have I got a couple jobs for you--well done! I will not even inquire as to why you took off both your watch and your wedding ring. ;)

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Ballsy... but nice result.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Green Scotch Brite pads are a must for amyone with brushed steel watches. Just removed a few scratches from my Marathon GSAR and it's good as new. :) Well done OP!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was walking around the gym (my wife and I own a gym) and put both in my jeans pocket to keep from scratching either. The plan obviously backfired on me!

Man, have I got a couple jobs for you--well done! I will not even inquire as to why you took off both your watch and your wedding ring. ;)

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
The Pelagos is all brushed so I didn't have to worry about polished edges. I just used the pad very gently and checked progress every couple of strokes. The finish on this watch is pretty forgiving, I think.
D'oh! I knew this of the Pelagos, at a glance on one of the above shots looked like it had a sheen to it.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,498 Posts
I wasn't paying attention yesterday when I took off my watch and (tungsten) wedding ring and put them both in the same front pocket of my pants. Unsurprisingly, when I put the watch back on I discovered some ugly scratches on the side of the lower left lug:

Fortunately, I did not panic. When I got home I grabbed the trusty Scotchbrite green pad and very gently brushed the scratch right off:

The Pelagos' titanium is pretty soft, but the brushed finish is easy to restore as long and the scratches are not deep.

I'll be more careful next time I put my watch in my pocket!
Good job restoring the finish. It's important to remember that scratches are not brushed off. The metal surrounding the scratch is abraded (brushed) down to the level of the scratch.

·
Registered
Unabashed Casio G-Shock fanboy
8,482 Posts
That's a really impressive case refinish. If I had scratched my Pelagos like that, I don't think I would have been able to maintain my composure. It's good to know that it can be refinished with a little elbow grease and a Scotch Brite pad or two, especially when it appears Rolex service centers -- I recall reading somewhere, correct me if I'm wrong -- won't refinish the Pelagos' case.

·
Registered
Unabashed Casio G-Shock fanboy
8,482 Posts
D'oh! I knew this of the Pelagos, at a glance on one of the above shots looked like it had a sheen to it.
The beveled, seemingly shiny edges are brushed in a different direction, however.

Reactions: Gilby

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
I was walking around the gym (my wife and I own a gym) and put both in my jeans pocket to keep from scratching either. The plan obviously backfired on me!
It is almost unbelievable to me that you could damage the surface of any watch that badly just by walking around one time. That wedding ring must really be something!

I have a Hammy with a satiny (not quite brushed) finish on the bezel that I'd like to tackle but I've decided I will probably do more damage than what's already there so...

(file photo)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts